• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Hillbilly Hangout 2018

I think we've settled on always making Hillbilly Hangout the weekend around when taxes are due in April. So it will be April 12-15, 2018. I was going to announce it when it was about 6 months out. Announce too early and people might just forget.

I wouldn't mind a ride in Arkansas later this year. But, I'm already filling my fall calendar with riding and camping. I could be in Arkansas last weekend of October or later. I suppose the weather is good there then (not too hot!).

Last edited:
Thanks for posting. Was thinking of attending this next spring and was also starting to look at my calender. Now i can pencil it in.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Thanks for the update, Mike! Being as you’re far more familiar with the area, I’m sure you’re best qualified to recommend a new location. Barring any reason to change it, I’d guess we will keep the dates the same at April 12-15, 2018.

I’m confident it’s still going to be a great time, despite the closing of The Hub.

"I'm gonna miss that ribeye that absolutely needs no fixin's"
the waitress made me swear to it. :)

I was talking to Bug Dr. early Jan. We talked about a camping trip this year. I'm always up for that! There was a real nice place we passed on our "dirt day" .
Is there a spot decided on yet?

Calling Bug Dr.! Any advice on a venue for this year's Hangout?

Can any of the Arkansas locals recommend of new venue for the Hangout? The event is only about six weeks away.

Isn't Russelville pretty much in the center of all good roads?
If camping, there is Lake Dardanelle or Mt. Nebo nearby.
I'm not sure which is more bike friendly?
I've only been to Lake Fort Smith State Park,
which is more RV friendly than anything and it's a bit too far west.

MSTA moved their old HUB event to Heritage USA in Marble Falls. Not sure what drove the choice or what all is there vicinity of the park.

Well, isn't that something. From the photos. Heritage USA is the exact same building as the old Hub. Investigation is needed to see if they can accommodate our group. Thanks, Krampus.

Well, isn't that something. From the photos. Heritage USA is the exact same building as the old Hub. Investigation is needed to see if they can accommodate our group. Thanks, Krampus.
I don't know, doesn't feel right about them operating during remodeling...
Sounds like a disaster already?

I've camped at the following National Parks Service camp site. Nice site flushing toilets but no showers

Steel Creek Campground is about 3 miles east of Ponca, Arkansas, off of Highway 74. The tent campground has 26 campsites and the horse campground has 14 sites. Each site has a picnic table, fire ring, and lantern hook provided. The campground is open year round on a first come, first served basis. The flush restroom and water system in the tent campground and at the Steel Creek launch will be closed November 15 to March 14 and no fees are charged during this time. The vault toilet in the tent campground will be open but with very limited servicing during the winter. Trash pick up provided. No RVs allowed.
GPS Coordinates: 36.0407758, -93.3440483

Google Maps

** Tyler Bend and Buffalo Point group sites are $3 per person per night and can be reserved by calling 1-877-444-6777 or through Federal recreation, camping and tour reservation information - Recreation.gov. Group sites are limited to 10 - 25 people.
Looks like a good choice.

This campground looks promising: Tyler Bend Campground - Buffalo National River (U.S. National Park Service)

Another NPS site but this offers group camping sites and showers!

Plus it looks like there are several cheaper motels nearby.

RV friendly? WTF? I thought this was a motorcycle event ;)

Sorry I've been away so long.......many things going on right now and they are all out of my control (life). The old Hub doesn't want our kind there as they are family oriented and do not allow camping. Buffalo Point is a great spot except it is run by Federal Nazis that are very quick with their ticket book in absurdly reduced speed zones.......wouldn't match with our group's style.

I fully intend to look at a campground that is private this weekend that might work. I plan on visiting it no matter what we decide.

The problem with state parks is that you need to reserve spots ahead of time. Lake Dardanelle State Park in Russellville is a great spot to camp and I have hosted an event there before. I can book my site tomorrow but I'm not going to reserve several spots and try to divvy them up and get reimbursed. The RV facilities are top notch and the bathrooms are clean. It is about a quarter mile from my house so it is certainly handy for me and I know every road out of Russellville. The county is dry so plan ahead accordingly.

There are literally about 50 camping locations within a 40 mile radius of Russellville so the options abound. Some are very remote so you'd have to pack food.

I don't care either way. What say those that plan on attending? We have plenty of time since we already have a date. I'm sure we can find a spot early enough without causing too much stress......I don't need any more.
Mike

Back