• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Hillbilly Hangout IV, April 13-16, 2017

I'm home safe, too! I changed my route to try to outun that line of storms belrix mentioned. I cut across the Mississippi at Chester, IL and threaded through a hole in the rain. Made it all the way home with no rain falling on me, although roads were sometimes drenched from storms having just passed through.

Thanks to all who made it out to the Hangout this year. Stayed tuned real soon for the announcement of the 2018 Hillbilly Hangout V dates!

Also, don't forget about the KSL8 meet next month at Kickstand Lodge, Stecoah, NC. Here's the thread: Return to the Land of the Dragon...again....2017

What I learned at HH4:

1) You could eat Low Gap and Oark for lunches, and Scooters for dinners for a week straight and not be tired of them.
2) In Arkansas it's too hot in April to want to build a camp fire.
3) Your local guide could probably take you in circles 20 miles from camp and you wouldn't know or care because the roads are just plain good riding.
4) Your local guide might appear to be using a GPS for routing but it's really all just memorized in his head.
5) There's brown gravel, grey gravel, and white gravel, and they each give you a different ride.
6) That ain't smoke you see rising out of the forest, it's pollen!
7) DCTFAN is the man to have along on your ride if any teenage driver cuts you off.
8) The roads they scheduled to pave over in Arkansas were still in better shape than anything currently in Illinois.
9) If you could put the smell of a '60s or '70s hotel room in an aerosol can, most older folks would probably instantly recognize it. (Does that mean I'm old?)
10) You don't wanna miss next year's Hillbilly Hangout V!

Last edited:
Couldn't resist taking these two photos on my way back
517dd29572bab9c5d0de0cd84d5841e0.jpg
19da97a4fa589006930dcce1178fa30e.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Friday RTE at Low Gap for lunch
LowGap2017_zpsdfvyqntd.jpg

Some were early, some were late, nobody in a hurry, Prefect! :)

It was great to see everyone again! But newcomer DCTFAN was a hoot! Great rider and a great person to hang out with! I ended up cutting out at mid day Saturday and I was glad I did, got home and was running a 100+ fever that finally broke Sunday evening.

BugDR, Thanks for hitting my favorite roads Saturday, 215 and 123 were prefect!

We haven't even scratched the surface for on and off pavement riding in the area. You could do five or six 250 mile days out of the Hub and not do much route overlapping. It is a fertile area for a motorcycle.

Low Gap and Oark are unique places to eat tucked in the hills and both in out of the way places. Makes for an interesting experience, especially Low Gap with its top notch menu and food quality. We need to hit Oark for breakfast some time. To me It is their best meal. Not sure it will happen with this group with all of the grumbling I heard about leaving at 0830 :mad: In the end, I guess everyone was excited to start riding as we ended up leaving at 0809.

I will keep looking for new routes in the area as the designated local. It's a tough job but someone has to do it :D

I'm thinking there might be a late fall Hillbilly Hangout type event this year so keep that in mind. That will depend on how my late summer is going but I will let everyone know ASAP as things get sorted.
Mike

We haven't even scratched the surface for on and off pavement riding in the area. You could do five or six 250 mile days out of the Hub and not do much route overlapping. It is a fertile area for a motorcycle.

Low Gap and Oark are unique places to eat tucked in the hills and both in out of the way places. Makes for an interesting experience, especially Low Gap with its top notch menu and food quality. We need to hit Oark for breakfast some time. To me It is their best meal. Not sure it will happen with this group with all of the grumbling I heard about leaving at 0830 :mad: In the end, I guess everyone was excited to start riding as we ended up leaving at 0809.

I will keep looking for new routes in the area as the designated local. It's a tough job but someone has to do it :D

I'm thinking there might be a late fall Hillbilly Hangout type event this year so keep that in mind. That will depend on how my late summer is going but I will let everyone know ASAP as things get sorted.
Mike
I would enjoy an event later this year, I'm looking at putting some events on my calendar.

I really enjoyed getting to meet you guys, if only for a short visit. We had good weather but I must say I was concerned when I saw that squall line headed for you Sunday morning. Just glad everyone got home safely. If you've never seen OCR fly a drone you're in for a treat. I'd ride in a chopper with him anytime. Hope he'll post a video of his buzzing the group.
Thanks again,
Helix

This is a short excursion video enroute to the Hub:
I may have rode a whole circle around that area,
but still enjoyed the ride to finish off the day.
[video=youtube_share;f0QP4rnmsgg]https://youtu.be/f0QP4rnmsgg[/video]

This is a short excursion video enroute to the Hub:
I may have rode a whole circle around that area,
but still enjoyed the ride to finish off the day.
[video=youtube_share;f0QP4rnmsgg]https://youtu.be/f0QP4rnmsgg[/video]

Africa Twin - Riding with Queenie - Hillbilly Hangout 4

[video=youtube;FoKJb6-nCBg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoKJb6-nCBg&t=29s[/video]

Friday RTE at Low Gap for lunch

Some were early, some were late, nobody in a hurry, Prefect! :)

It was great to see everyone again! But newcomer DCTFAN was a hoot! Great rider and a great person to hang out with! I ended up cutting out at mid day Saturday and I was glad I did, got home and was running a 100+ fever that finally broke Sunday evening.

BugDR, Thanks for hitting my favorite roads Saturday, 215 and 123 were prefect!

You guys really know how to put on a good time.
Appreciated everyone's welcome to a new member to the meet.
I wanted to thank 670cc for introducing me to this event and
Bug Dr for clearing all the downed trees for our DS route. :)
Glad to have met all of you.

Here's our group ride to Oark from my POV
There were bugs sacrificed in the making of this video
4010106383a86356e07edd645bb97b58.jpg
c804bcfc6f832bdfd9c5436740fcf2a7.jpg

[video=youtube_share;F3mjXy48gJ0]https://youtu.be/F3mjXy48gJ0[/video]

Here's some humor AR style
Found at Low Gap
5c75616e4e76cad4e6f4ab69801976c0.jpg

The highlight of my Hillbilly Hangout IV
was the DS Ride led by none other: BUG DR

[video=youtube_share;sjEpiYALmWI]https://youtu.be/sjEpiYALmWI[/video]

Last edited:
DCTFAN, Thanks for sharing your videos, as I did enjoy them. Wish my knee would heal, so I could hang tight with you in the dirt.

For a fellow who has only been riding a few years you are a quick learner. The dirt riding schools you have been going to in the Alanta area have been worth the effort you have put in.

You have sure earned your membership in the "Down to Earth Club".

What I learned at HH4:

7) DCTFAN is the man to have along on your ride if any teenage driver cuts you off.

#7 = TRUTH! Poor girl. Bet she doesn't do that again anytime soon!

I had a great time even though Brian's fictitious girlfriend didn't make it .

Good to meet new peeps Alan and Ed.

Rolling in the floor!!!

We gave him plenty of time to produce a real woman but NOPE! I've always had my doubts.;)

Thanks for posting the videos. Next year we will ride the other side of the intended loop. It's a little more technical than what we did this year.

Glad everyone made it home safely. Looking forward to the next one.
Mike

DCTFAN, Thanks for sharing your videos, as I did enjoy them. Wish my knee would heal, so I could hang tight with you in the dirt.

For a fellow who has only been riding a few years you are a quick learner. The dirt riding schools you have been going to in the Alanta area have been worth the effort you have put in.

You have sure earned your membership in the "Down to Earth Club".
thanks, sensei
You're my hero. Had I been struggling with your kind of recovery,
I'd probably have chewed out all the nurses and therapist,
worse than I did that teenabopper reckless driver.

DCTFAN, that reckless teenabooper female driver more than likely thinks that we are all motorcycle gang members of the "He-Man Women Haters Club". Heck, she most likely thinks you are the President of the club...

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wBIC8JTQMMQ[/video]

Last edited:
Back