• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Ho to install the Europe map on my GPS?

Afan

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have old GPS, with US map. Traveling to Europe for 2 weeks and I need to install the Europe map on it t be able to use it. Anybody did this before?
The new Zumo 396 LMT is not going to be delivered before I leave on my trip. But it would be the same question anyway :D

Thanks for any help.

Garmin?

I have a Garmin handheld unit (Dakota?) and the European map arrived on a chip. I opened the back of my unit, slipped out the old chip, installed the new chip. It was very simple.

Garmin?

I have a Garmin handheld unit (Dakota?) and the European map arrived on a chip. I opened the back of my unit, slipped out the old chip, installed the new chip. It was very simple.

I have to download it. No time for the delivery.

BUT! For some reason, I can't explain, I thought the price of the EU map is in $20-$30 range. Definitely not $99. I don't think this is the option. I would rather buy the cheapest one for $100 and then give it to somebody as a present :D
Or something like that.

Now looking at the Google Maps off-line option on my old smartphone.

I don’t know the model of your old GPS. Does it have a memory card slot? On my Garmin units I install alternate maps on a micro SD memory card plugged into the GPS. In the GPS settings, I can select my alternative map files, like topography, inland lakes, etc, or in your case, Europe.

I don’t know the model of your old GPS. Does it have a memory card slot? On my Garmin units I install alternate maps on a micro SD memory card plugged into the GPS. In the GPS settings, I can select my alternative map files, like topography, inland lakes, etc, or in your case, Europe.
It's old Drive 5. It has slot.
Couple weeks ago I tried to update USA map but there wasn't enough space so I used the micro SD card.

It's old Drive 5. It has slot.
Couple weeks ago I tried to update USA map but there wasn't enough space so I used the micro SD card.
Yep, put the European map on the SD card and see of you can select it on the map info settings screen.

Yep, put the European map on the SD card and see of you can select it on the map info settings screen.

Yes, that would probably work, but to pay $99.99 to use it couple time this vacation and who knows when again - it's to expensive for me. :(
Thanks though.

I don’t understand the whole picture of the GPS maps market, but I have seen compatible “generic” maps with brand names other that what Garmin sells, and for a lot less money.

I don’t understand the whole picture of the GPS maps market, but I have seen compatible “generic” maps with brand names other that what Garmin sells, and for a lot less money.

I don't understand either. Uncharted waters to me... :(

Search for Open Street maps for garmin. They're available free from several sources (see here https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_Map_On_Garmin/Download). Put it on your sd card. For the Zumo 660 calling the map gmapsupp.img works (check there's isn't one already!)
Then go into settings, maps, info and select your new map.
Good Luck!

Last edited:
Back