• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Honda NT700V ???

Honda priced it way too high when new. A proven platform in the U.K. and other markets but it just fell flat on its face over here.

Very nice bike... Our NC came from this bike I believe... I had a good friend who had one of these. It was really nice. Had a pass through between the hard side cases that let you put something long that went through to the case on the other side. Kinda neat.
I wanted one of these when they came out but as others have stated.. way too expensive. Was watching for a used one then came along the NC and I decided to jump on one of those instead of waiting any longer.
I think I would have been as happy with it as the NC but getting parts would have been expensive I think since it was so rare.

[Very nice bike... Our NC came from this bike I believe...]

Only the name on the fuel tank is the same but everything else is completely different.

The V-twin, 680 cc, 5-speed engine, is based on the HawkGT 650 which was sold here around 1988-89 and later became a cult favorite as a naked sportbike. It has shaft drive with integral hard bags, adjustable windshield and the "pass through" mentioned previously was designed to please motorcycle couriers in the UK. It's about 70 pounds heavier than my NC/DCT and unfortunately a lot of that is up top so it has a top heavy feeling.

The locking mechanism for the saddlebag is a weak point - many NT riders have added external latches - and some complain about needing a 6th gear. On the interstate compared to my NC/DCT, the tach reads about 1000 rpm higher at 60 mph but the engine doesn't seem to care so it doesn't bother me. :rolleyes:

It has twin discs in front so stopping power is much greater than the NC plus the system is partially linked. Stepping on the rear brake pedal activates one set of pistons in a front caliper. Pulling the front brake lever doesn't do anything to the rear, unlike the ST1300 with its fully linked system.

I bought mine in Dec 2009, have around 65k on it now and it's my long distance bike. Wind protection is fantastic when compared to the NC even with Madstad windshield. It's been to the Left Coast several times, Nova Scotia, and all across the US. Fuel economy is good at around 52-57 mpg. Fuel tank size is 5.2 gals which is great on long trips especially across the wide open spaces out west. And the standard seat is comfortable but I had Spencer in FL redo the seat after about 2-years after the standard foam got tired.

I've never had any problems ordering parts, even to this day.

Last edited:
This bike is not a big seller over here but it has a huge reputation for reliability and there are some massive mileages on some of those that I am aware of, many in excess of 100,000miles. It is not quick but it is a good long distance tourer. Afaik there are 2 pannier sizes. As is suggested above they are permanent once fitted. It is not a quick bike but like all so called "slow" bikes it can be ridden quickly depending on rider. Police were using them over here for rural use and the local Blood Bank also has a small fleet of them. There is good protection from the bodywork.

[...there are 2 pannier sizes. As is suggested above they are permanent once fitted...]

The pannier body itself is the same but the lids are either the normal depth or extra-deep that almost doubles the capacity. As far as I know, the extra-deep lids were never standard and only offered as an accessory in the UK. USA NT owners with the extra-deep lids bought them from the UK. Mine still has the standard lids but I have a good friend who fitted her bike with the extra-deep lids.

I owned a 2010 NT700V before I bought the NC700.
It is a good middle weight full fairing shaft drive. The built in side cases have two lid sizes. The weak latches are high failure items. Shaft drive is reliable. Suspension barely adequate. Wind protection is very good. The windshield is adjustable by pulling it up or pushing it down into preset notches. I added a laminar lip to the stock windscreen with good results. Speed is about the same as the NC, but it only has 5 gears. The rear tire is hard to change. You can find them in excellent condition for $4000 to $5000. They are slow sellers. Here is a link to the forum for more information.
NT-Owners.ORG

I owned a 2010 NT700V before I bought the NC700.
It is a good middle weight full fairing shaft drive. The built in side cases have two lid sizes. The weak latches are high failure items. Shaft drive is reliable. Suspension barely adequate. Wind protection is very good. The windshield is adjustable by pulling it up or pushing it down into preset notches. I added a laminar lip to the stock windscreen with good results. Speed is about the same as the NC, but it only has 5 gears. The rear tire is hard to change. You can find them in excellent condition for $4000 to $5000. They are slow sellers. Here is a link to the forum for more information.
NT-Owners.ORG
I remember your presence on some of the ST1300 FLSTOC rides and you had no problem keeping up on the NT700V although I recall you commenting "it gets a bit out of breath at 100".

[...The rear tire is hard to change...]

I've had the rear wheel off my NT probably a dozen times, either to change tires or to try different things with the rear shock. As crazy as it sounds, I found that removing the right saddlebag and saddlebag lid was well worth the extra 20-minutes it took to remove these items. With those removed, you can actually SEE the complete rear wheel, brake caliper mount, etc. At first the guys on the NT sites (US & UK) probably thought I was totally freaking nuts but I've made more than a few converts to this method. :eek:

My wife and I dd test ride an NT700V way back when.
Since we hopped off a Yamaha 1300 Tour Deluxe it did feel a little weak at the time.
Also, back then I was a cruiser guy sitting on a sport tourer.
Now I am a Adv/Sport Tourer guy that forgot about the NT700V until this thread!
Looking at them on Cycletrader makes me remember a little better.
I really like the looks of the bike.
Thanks to everyone for the points being made about the machine.

God bless!!

Michael

I still have the NT. It has much better wind protection than the NC and is more comfortable for long trips. I have ridden both to South Dakota from California and I prefer the NC. The NC feels much lighter than the 70 pounds difference with its low center of gravity which makes it much easier to handle on dirt road side trips. The dct is also confidence boosting in crazy CA traffic. When I have to make an emergency move to avoid a careless driver I don't have to worry about what gear I am in. I still enjoy riding the NT but since May when I bought the NC I have put 6200 miles on the NC and about 450 on the NT.

[...I still enjoy riding the NT but since May when I bought the NC I have put 6200 miles on the NC and about 450 on the NT...]

I mainly use my NT as a long distance, multi-state, bike while I ride the NC on weekly lunch rides with pals. My ratio of miles on each is probably close to yours.

Yeah, I am going to buy a 2010 tomorrow with about 16k for $3,200. I checked it out about 2 weeks ago and I got to ride it around. I think that is going to be a good replacement for the ST1300 that I had years ago.

Good luck with the new bike. The NT is one bike I was very interested before the NC came out. The only one I ever saw on a dealers floor was in Florida while we were on vacation more than a few years back. I was really struck by the asking price of $10,300 for a bike that was at least a couple of years old when I saw it. My perfect Honda bike would be a derivative of the PC, NT & NCXD.

I just bought one of these bikes a few days ago on my birthday for $3,200. I found it in Crestline, CA. I washed and waxed it after getting it home.

IMG_8798[1].jpg

IMG_8799[1].jpg

I rode the bike on the SoCal Norton Owners Hansen Dam Ride yesterday morning. I did a little over 100 miles for this entire ride, which as her maiden voyage. The bike did very well in the canyons and twisties. I was very pleased with the handling and the response the bike provide me in the many conditoins that I encounted on this ride and the route. I found the bike as happy and content at 75 MPH on the freeways and loved the slower speeds of just cruising to enjoy the scenery.

IMG_8808[1].jpg

I love this bike and see her replacing both the Zero SR and the ST1300 that I traded in to get the Zero. I was interested in this bike back into 2010, at that time I had the ST1300 and didn't see a point of getting it. Funny how we revisit a few things many years later and then see what were missing out on. :D

Attachments

• HansenDamRideRoute.jpg
    HansenDamRideRoute.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 252
Last edited:
Back