• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Honda SCS Service Connector

Beemerphile

#1 Elite
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I found I could get the Honda 070PZ-ZY30100SCS Service Connector for less money at a Honda marine dealer...

070PZ-ZY30100 HONDA SCS SRVCE CONNECT0R (Honda Code 7060437) $18.06

the SCS Service connector plugs into the diagnostic port to allow you to read codes in memory. Without it you can only read any current codes by putting the bike in neutral with the engine running and the sidestand down. Both of these methods only read the major code. Once you have the flash code, you can look it up in the manual and get some diagnostic help with a malfunction. To read the minor code, you need the Honda diagnostic reader which costs over $3,000 and has a subscription cost of $800 per year. In other words, forget it.

DSC00551.jpgDSC00552.JPG

Hi Lee,

Would you be so gentle to do a "demo" for us on how to read a code with this connector? When you have done the farkling, of course

Sure,

No trick really. The jumper plugs into the diagnostic port which is behind the battery door at the upper left. Without the jumper, you can only read current trouble codes. Current trouble codes will cause the engine malfunction light to come on. When the engine malfunction light is on, you can read the code by stopping the vehicle with the engine in neutral and below 1,825 PRM. Put the sidestand down and the MIL will start to flash a pattern of long and short flashes. In counting flashes, a long flash (1.3 seconds) is equal to ten short flashes (0.3 seconds). So, a code of two long flashes and three short flashes would be 23. Then there is a delay and the sequence repeats. This process will not read a code from memory, only an active code. To read a code from memory, do the same thing with the jumper installed. Once you have the code, you can go to the chart in your soon to arrive manual and look up the trouble indication.

The shortfall of both processes, is that it only gives you the major code and not the sub-code. For that, you need the expensive equipment and software. However, some trouble codes do not have sub-codes, and for the ones that do, knowing the major code can get you close and you may figure it out from there.

Hope this is clear.

Sure,

No trick really. The jumper plugs into the diagnostic port which is behind the battery door at the upper left. Without the jumper, you can only read current trouble codes. Current trouble codes will cause the engine malfunction light to come on. When the engine malfunction light is on, you can read the code by stopping the vehicle with the engine in neutral and below 1,825 PRM. Put the sidestand down and the MIL will start to flash a pattern of long and short flashes. In counting flashes, a long flash (1.3 seconds) is equal to ten short flashes (0.3 seconds). So, a code of two long flashes and three short flashes would be 23. Then there is a delay and the sequence repeats. This process will not read a code from memory, only an active code. To read a code from memory, do the same thing with the jumper installed. Once you have the code, you can go to the chart in your soon to arrive manual and look up the trouble indication.

The shortfall of both processes, is that it only gives you the major code and not the sub-code. For that, you need the expensive equipment and software. However, some trouble codes do not have sub-codes, and for the ones that do, knowing the major code can get you close and you may figure it out from there.

Hope this is clear.

I don't even want to ask.....
:p

Sure,

Hope this is clear.

hi beemerphile, does the connector has something special? i tried shorting the green and brown terminal using a normal electric wire to read the freeze DTC (or the past error code) but cant. I also tried to ease the memory but can't..

So now, i think either i need the SCS connector or the error is sub-code error cannot be read or erase as what you have explain.

hi beemerphile, does the connector has something special? i tried shorting the green and brown terminal using a normal electric wire to read the freeze DTC (or the past error code) but cant. I also tried to ease the memory but can't..

So now, i think either i need the SCS connector or the error is sub-code error cannot be read or erase as what you have explain.

There is no error that is just sub-code. Some have a major only and no sub-code, but none has a sub-code and no major. Are you sure that you have a code in memory? If so, what makes you think so? Regarding the jumper, I do not see any electronics associated with it. Looks like a simple jumper wire on a terminal connector to me.

Tell us more of the condition you are trying to diagnose.

There is no error that is just sub-code. Some have a major only and no sub-code, but none has a sub-code and no major. Are you sure that you have a code in memory? If so, what makes you think so? Regarding the jumper, I do not see any electronics associated with it. Looks like a simple jumper wire on a terminal connector to me.

Tell us more of the condition you are trying to diagnose.

The mil light turn on twice on my dct while I'm riding. Each time the light turns on, I stop the bike and turn the bike off and on and the mil will be gone. Didn't know I can read the error by putting the bike on neatual and side stand down. Hence I'm trying to see what error was that.

The mil light turn on twice on my dct while I'm riding. Each time the light turns on, I stop the bike and turn the bike off and on and the mil will be gone. Didn't know I can read the error by putting the bike on neatual and side stand down. Hence I'm trying to see what error was that.

Yes for an ACTIVE code, that will work, so check it while the MIL light is "on".

Finally.. the MIL lighted up again.. this time managed to read the MIL out..

can anyone enlightened me what error is this? MIL 9-5??

I am suspecting is my aftermarket horn that is drawing too much power.. Because everything i got the error when i close the throttle suddenly, hit the brakes and blast the horn..

will upload the video shortly.

Finally.. the MIL lighted up again.. this time managed to read the MIL out..

can anyone enlightened me what error is this? MIL 9-5??.

I read the code as 86 (eight long followed by six short). There is no 9-5. The 86 code is a meter communication malfunction. The manual calls out either a open or short circuit in the TXD / RXD line or a faulty combination meter. It suggests to check for a loose connection of either the 16-pin or 33-pin connector and try again. After that are some check of the serial line for continuity and a couple of voltage level checks. Let me know if you want to diagnose it further. If you are taking it to te dealer, then you already know enough to talk with them about it.

I read the code as 86 (eight long followed by six short). There is no 9-5. The 86 code is a meter communication malfunction. The manual calls out either a open or short circuit in the TXD / RXD line or a faulty combination meter. It suggests to check for a loose connection of either the 16-pin or 33-pin connector and try again. After that are some check of the serial line for continuity and a couple of voltage level checks. Let me know if you want to diagnose it further. If you are taking it to te dealer, then you already know enough to talk with them about it.

Hi Beemerphile,

My error is only a past error.. once i off the bike and on the bike the mil is gone. I am trying see circuit or connector link to the horn. Because i am suspecting the aftermarket horn as the culprit.

The mil happened to me 3 times.. when i was performing e-brakes and blasting the horn...

Last edited:
I do not think so. If the horn was pulling too much current you would not get a MIL light, you would blow the 7.5 amp fuse which also supplies the brake and tail lights.

I see.. So what is your assessment? Because the mil light turns up all 3 times when I'm performing ebrakes. I doubt will be the connector loose. It the connectors is loose the mil should stays on.. Meter faulty? Also unlikely because the meter is working fine.

I see.. So what is your assessment? Because the mil light turns up all 3 times when I'm performing ebrakes. I doubt will be the connector loose. It the connectors is loose the mil should stays on.. Meter faulty? Also unlikely because the meter is working fine.

All I can say is that the MIL system does not know if you even have a horn. I am not sure what "performing e-brakes" is, but the code you are getting is for communication with the meter.

Back