• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Honda SERIOUSLY!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Basic orange FRAMs with cardboard (well, fiber) endcaps are garbage, yes. The XG6607 mentioned above is the filter that I run, and the Ultra Synthetic line is not remotely comparable to the orange cans of death thankfully. They are wire-backed synthetic media with silicone ADBVs. I actually use this filter in all of my applications that don't require a cartridge style filter.

Previous owner had a K&N (204-1) on it, which is an okay filter, but a plus for some people may be that it has the "nut" on the end of it to attach a socket onto. IMO, I can generally find the FRAMs around $9. Those K&Ns are usually nearly $15 and are a synthetic blend media, akin to something like a FRAM Tough Guard.

Reactions: MZ5
Honda/Acura oil filters are less expensive and have the same filter media and bypass valve pressure that Honda specifies, unlike most if not all aftermarket filters. What's with saving a few bucks on something changed every 8,000 miles? That's fractions of pennies per mile.

Honda car part is about 5/8" longer but fits this application. Part number 15400-PLM-A02.

Last edited:
Honda/Acura oil filters are less expensive and have the same filter media and bypass valve pressure unlike most if not all aftermarket filters.

That is not true, unfortunately. The Honda filters (since 2018, previously it was FRAM) are manufactured by Mahle using cellulose filtering media with fiber end caps, no backing on the media. The Mahle/Honda filter does use a silicone ADBV of decent design, so it probably is better than the lowest end FRAM, but they are absolutely not of the same construction as other filters on the market.

Honda/Acura oil filters are less expensive and have the same filter media and bypass valve pressure unlike most if not all aftermarket filters. What's with saving a few bucks on something changed every 8,000 miles? That's fractions of pennies per mile.

Honda car part is about 5/8" longer but fits this application. Part number 15400-PLM-A02.
Because I still love saving money. Same reason I change my own oil. Saves me 20$ Maybe but that adds up.

Just an note……….The K&N nut was a problem in 2016. They were recalled.

K&N has discovered that certain KN-204 and KN-204C oil filtersmanufactured between March 1, 2016 and September 30, 2016, can leak oil at the area where a nut (intended for use to remove the oil filter during routine oil changes) is welded to the end of the filter.

As for the Honda filter….Fram or Mahle. I am not going to live long enough and the bike won’t see enough use in the next 20 years to make any difference.

As for the Honda filter….Fram or Mahle. I am not going to live long enough and the bike won’t see enough use in the next 20 years to make any difference.
As showkey suggests, does oil filter choice really even matter? Does anyone have an example of an NC engine destroyed or damaged by use of a non OEM oil filter? The later NC maintenance schedules call for oil filter changes every 16,000 miles. It’s a fairly minuscule expense in motorcycle ownership.

That is not true, unfortunately. The Honda filters (since 2018, previously it was FRAM) are manufactured by Mahle using cellulose filtering media with fiber end caps, no backing on the media. The Mahle/Honda filter does use a silicone ADBV of decent design, so it probably is better than the lowest end FRAM, but they are absolutely not of the same construction as other filters on the market.

Honda uses a number of suppliers like Filtech, Honeywell, and Toyo Roki to supply spec filters to single part numbers and I am talking about the only two Honda part numbers that matter for Honda motorcycles in this discussion. It doesn't matter who makes it where as long as Honda specs it and it meets those specifications. BMW motorcycle spec OEM filters are made by Mahle. If they meet OEM specifications they are high quality filters for Honda and BMW engines, among others.

They could be manufactured by Mattel and as long as the product meets Honda’s specifications it is Honda quality. The point stands, both part numbers use the same filter media and bypass valve pressure among other attributes Honda specifies. The car filters are about $10 cheaper at today's price.

Honda uses a number of suppliers like Filtech, Honeywell, and Toyo Roki to supply spec filters to single part numbers and I am talking about the only two Honda part numbers that matter for Honda motorcycles in this discussion. It doesn't matter who makes it where as long as Honda specs it and it meets those specifications. BMW motorcycle spec OEM filters are made by Mahle. If they meet OEM specifications they are high quality filters for Honda and BMW engines, among others.

They could be manufactured by Mattel and as long as the product meets Honda’s specifications it is Honda quality. The point stands, both part numbers use the same filter media and bypass valve pressure among other attributes Honda specifies. The car filters are about $10 cheaper at today's price.

I'm not really making any fuss about who is building it. Mahle makes plenty of fine filters, that's not the point I'm making. I was simply pointing out that the construction of the filter is not as robust when compared with other contemporary aftermarket filters and for a small amount of money more, you can buy an objectively better filter. If you're happy with your OEM Honda filters then by all means - don't take this as me trying to change your mind. If you were only trying to say that the Honda car and MC filters are the same, then mea culpa. I misunderstood.

As showkey suggests, does oil filter choice really even matter? Does anyone have an example of an NC engine destroyed or damaged by use of a non OEM oil filter? The later NC maintenance schedules call for oil filter changes every 16,000 miles. It’s a fairly minuscule expense in motorcycle ownership.

At the end of the day, you're probably right. I stick with 7K mi oil and filter changes, but that's really only because I do that in all my vehicles, so it's easier for me to keep track of. Any modern filter from a reputable manufacturer should be able to make it that long. I personally stick to certain types of filters because it's no big expense for me to do so. Amortized over a 7k mi OCI, the extra few bucks on the filter is really meaningless.

I ng.

And i am absolutely positive that there is some person in a Honda satellite office reading my stuff and going thrhrhrhhrhrhhrpppppppp!!!
Sorry:
I am absolutely positive no one at Honda ( Japan or US or Euro) is reading these forums and they are certainly NOT taking any service or parts action on what is said and or discussed.

the dreaded oil.....filter? thread...
You’re quite right. It is becoming a thread about cutting the filter open, never buy a particular brand, arbitrarily chosen change intervals, a bit of fear mongering, but no solid example of any NC engine ever being damaged due to filter choice, or lubricant deficiency or contamination. Why should we even be worrying about oil filters?

The topic is tight filters on new engines. I think that has been covered. Unless anyone has more to add about tight filters and filter removal methods, perhaps the thread should close.

Sorry:
I am absolutely positive no one at Honda ( Japan or US or Euro) is reading these forums and they are certainly NOT taking any service or parts action on what is said and or discussed.
Honda corporate apparently reads the biggest GL1800 forum.
Wouldn't be surprised if they browse this one as well.
NC's are a big seller in markets other than N. America.
OTOH, Goldwings aren't big sellers in markets other than N. America.

Oh they do. It makes perfect sense. I have posted references to defects to the Can Am forum and found my stuff disappearing. Then I found out that my problem was a common serious problem. But... that is Can Am.

Ever wonder how these forums manifest themselves?
I guess you're in the wrong place with this paranoia and conspiracy theories.
If you succeed in this, there will be no more entertaining discussions about motorcycles, especially the NC700 series.
I vote for it to be stopped immediately.

Agree with lootzyan. It’s a good time to wrap up this discussion. It’s too bad it went off the rails. Thanks to everyone that offered constructive comments on oil filter installation and removal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back