• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Honda side cases - OEM grabrails and plastic cutting

The top box carrier needs cutting to I beleive.
I decided to go with givi instead at the last moment.

Ken

i hate to break this to you, but the honda boxes are made by givi. and no cutting required for the topbox. the cutting for the sidecases is very minimal, and unnoticable.

I thought the Honda requires cutting from the start. The first piece required for any Honda rear luggage or even just a bare Honda rack, is the new side rails, and that's when the cutting is required. Is that not the case?

Greg

You're correct.

Are you sure about that? I purchased the top case and rack (Honda Brand) and the top rack requires the sidecase mount.

We seem to be going in circles here.

A) Honda boxes are made by Givi to Honda's specs.
B) Honda top box requires the new side rails which will require plastic cutting. Whether you want just the Honda rack, just the bags, just the rack and top box, the whole suite, or any combination, the first step is to replace the rails. That requires the plastic body panel cutting.

My question is: why can't Honda just design their accessories to fit without cutting? It was the same story with my Nighthawk. The passenger backrest/luggage rack required cutting two notches in the rear plastics. Not visible from the outside, but why not just design the plastics or rack to be bolt-on like everyone else's stuff?

Because things look just a bit better the way they've done them? Most owners won't buy the factory luggage, so there's no reason to have the stronger, larger, higher bars for them. In combination with everything else, it helps keep the total cost of the base bike low.

IDK, that's just a possibility.

I have the Honda saddlebags, and thus the larger & stronger bars. The cuts have to really be looked for to be seen, and I'm very happy with how my dealer did them. In fact, it's a strong possibility that I'll have them get me the Honda topcase rather than some lights I'd been planning for.

Back