• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Honda Tall Shield and its "Rubber Thingy"

Naked_Duc

Reaction score
Visit site
I was messing around with the Honda tall windshield over the weekend and decided to change how the MRA x-creen is mounted. I used the "bolt on" method initially. Due to the shape and the contour of the windshield, I had to bolt the x-creen several inches below the top edge, resulted in 1/3 of the x-creen over-lapping the windshield. I got tired of looking at it so I changed it up to the "clip on" method. In doing so, I had to take off the "rubber thingy" around the windshield.

So what does that thing actually do? I think happy had posted about it a long while ago, saying that it absorbs vibration and prevents cracks. Don't know how much truth is in that? By removing it, would I really vastly increase the risk of the shield cracking?

I thought the "rubber thingy" might be put in by the request of the lawyers, to prevent windshield from injuring the rider in a crash. Or maybe so the outline of the shield would be more visible so you don't accidentally bump into it and damage it.

SOMEBODY PLEASE TELL ME!!?!

I was messing around with the Honda tall windshield over the weekend and decided to change how the MRA x-creen is mounted. I used the "bolt on" method initially. Due to the shape and the contour of the windshield, I had to bolt the x-creen several inches below the top edge, resulted in 1/3 of the x-creen over-lapping the windshield. I got tired of looking at it so I changed it up to the "clip on" method. In doing so, I had to take off the "rubber thingy" around the windshield.

So what does that thing actually do? I think happy had posted about it a long while ago, saying that it absorbs vibration and prevents cracks. Don't know how much truth is in that? By removing it, would I really vastly increase the risk of the shield cracking?

I thought the "rubber thingy" might be put in by the request of the lawyers, to prevent windshield from injuring the rider in a crash. Or maybe so the outline of the shield would be more visible so you don't accidentally bump into it and damage it.

SOMEBODY PLEASE TELL ME!!?!
I believe the rubber thingy is required in Europe as a safety feature.
And I have heard that installing the rubber thingy on the edges of the windshield smooths the air flow over and around the windshield, and also quiets the noise of the wind flowing around the windshield.
Maybe some of the Euro guys can comment on the reason that Euro bikes all have the rubbery edging applied to their windshields?

Mine came off about 6500 miles ago. I ride it pretty hard and over some rough stuff and I have no cracks. I know this don't answer what for, but I've had no problem without it.

It's for looks. The shape of the windscreen is accented by the border being more visible. If it were a safety thing, then what about ST1300, GL1800, Silverwing, CTX700 (w/high windscreen) riders, etc? They're all goners in a crash?

Last edited:
It's for looks. The shape of the windscreen is accented by the border being more visible. If it were a safety thing, then what about ST1300, GL1800, Silverwing, CTX700 (w/high windscreen) riders, etc? They're all goners in a crash?

If you ride a ST1300, GL1800, Silverwing, and CTX700, let this be a public announcement to you - you are riding at your own risk. :p

I think the rubber strip might have more to do with safety than just the aesthetics. Hondafan, you might have something there, too. The rubber strip probably adds a little more contour to the sharp edge that allows better/smoother airflow.

For now, I will just live without the rubber thingy.

YES! We're all goners!! Rider beware ;)

When I had the Honda Tall it seemed like every bug that hit my screen did so right at the seam where the rubber thingy (LOL) and screen meet. This made it a pain to clean. If it was not for the fact I bought a different screen it would have been removed.

Back