• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Honda Tall Windscreen Reinstalled

Naked_Duc

Reaction score
Visit site
Honda Tall Windscreen Reinstalled for More Height

I have had the Honda Tall windscreen with MRA x-creen for the past year. It's barely tall enough to direct wind to the top of my helmet (5'7", 30" inseam). I also like having the wind screen rack, which adds more stability. So far, I've been pretty happy with it.

I was tinkering around in the garage this evening and fixing a table lamp. After I was done, I was ready to move the bike back into the garage. That's when I noticed the NCX's windscreen mounting rack and how it's mounted on the bike. I remembered that there are 2 different heights for the original windscreen. I thought why didn't I mount the tall screen on the higher mounting position.

After taken the whole thing off and taken a closer look, I saw why - the screw brackets would only fit in the lower position. The brackets have clearance issue when fitted in the higher position. Hmmmm, I thought I can take the corners and edges off with an angle grinder and make them fit. 10 minutes later, I was able to take enough material off to wiggle the screw brackets in place and reinstall the windscreen at the higher position.

1" additional wind protection! :D

Last edited:
Either of you guys mind taking a couple photos to show how much grinding you did? Some of the others that have stuck with the Honda Touring may want to see. Thanks

Either of you guys mind taking a couple photos to show how much grinding you did? Some of the others that have stuck with the Honda Touring may want to see. Thanks

Yeah, I recently got tired of my Tall screen and went back to the small fly screen for the summer. Wish I would have thought/heard about this before I just bought a Madstad from another member here. It's already in transit. Oh, well been drooling over a Madstad for a while anyways, plus I have stripped the threads on one to the holes for the screws on my tall screen bracket. Thought about Helia coiling to fix it, but I don't have a kit on hand for that and they run about $30, seems a bit much to spend on a screen that I don't like anyways.

Yeah, I recently got tired of my Tall screen and went back to the small fly screen for the summer. Wish I would have thought/heard about this before I just bought a Madstad from another member here. It's already in transit. Oh, well been drooling over a Madstad for a while anyways, plus I have stripped the threads on one to the holes for the screws on my tall screen bracket. Thought about Helia coiling to fix it, but I don't have a kit on hand for that and they run about $30, seems a bit much to spend on a screen that I don't like anyways.

Not that it probably matters to you at this point, but you could always just drill the damaged hole out with a drill bit and use a longer screw with a nut. It's cheaper than a helicoil kit.

Also, I'll try to get pics today sometime of the trimmed brackets.

Not that it probably matters to you at this point, but you could always just drill the damaged hole out with a drill bit and use a longer screw with a nut. It's cheaper than a helicoil kit.

Also, I'll try to get pics today sometime of the trimmed brackets.

That thought had crossed my mind too. My concern there was if I did get a new screen (like the Madstad that I ordered) and decided to try and sell the old Honda one. Most potential buyers would like it to look good still. While a longer screw with a bolt would be fine for me, might not fly with some one looking to buy a used windscreen.

I will take a few picture of the brackets tonight. The 1" did make a pretty good difference on the ride this AM. The turbulence used to hit me right at the top of the helmet. Now it's right over it. Cut down on wind noise, too. So if you are right at the edge of the air bubble, this "mod" might just be the answer.

These are the brackets as you would install them, looking at them from the front. You would need to take some materials off the upper and outer edge. This is pretty easy.

NC700X 01.jpg

The tough part is the backside of the bracket where more material needs to be taken off the nut so it can slide into that tight space. The one bracket on the right is flipped upside down to show how much material is taken off.

NC700X 02.jpg

3/4 view

NC700X 03.jpg

Side view, compared to the bracket in its original form. Not much material is taken off, just enough to fit the bracket into the upper corner, which is slightly angled.

NC700X 04.jpg

Back