• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Honda USA website updated to add the 2018 NC750X

I'm not sure there's a need for the dual discs. The single disc seems to have all the power needed. What's the advantage?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Well, I have never ridden an NC, being it's a 500 lb bike, I thought it might be a plus to have dual discs up front. But if the one works well, then that might not be a big a plus as I thought.

My experience with the NC700X over 5 years tells me that dual front disks might be needed to grab a few more sales and woo a few motojournalists, but not needed to adequately stop the motorcycle. It would be an image thing, for the most part.

I've never seen pictures of the dual disc set up. The USA site doesn't show them and the EC version of the last 3 years didn't have them. I don't think that they are changed from the previous single disc.

In addition, the 2018 Canada model NC750X specs a single front disk and shows the same in photos.

Last edited:
I called a dealer here in San Diego and they said they have the new NC750X on order and expect them to arrive in June.

Last October I bought a Yamaha FJ-09, which weighs a bit less than a NC, but had a miserable seat, and I never found a solution for it. Traded it in on a BMW R1200GS that weighs about 60 lbs more than the NC. They both have dual front disks and stop way better than the NC. They require less lever force so it's easier to modulate the braking. The front ends on those bikes don't dive (for different reasons) under braking, so there's weight transfer and the bikes are more stable under heavy braking.

I've kept the NC and really like it for local riding and running errands, but for 500 lb. sport touring bikes (not counting luggage), I want dual disks.

Braking performance data and brake feel are two different topics.

As for the braking performance 60-0 :

2012 Nc700 142 ft
BMW 1200gs ADV. 150 ft

Both tests were done by cycle world
Adventure Bikes Comparison Test Motorcycle Review & Specs | Cycle World

Honda NC700X Road Test Review- Specifications- Photos | Cycle World

Just a couple of other date points

2018 BMW G310. 149 ft
2018 Goldwing. 122 ft
2017 CB1100. 117 ft
2018 CB650f. 135 ft
2018 HD ultra. 129 ft
2017 BWM R ninet. 139 ft
2017 KTM 690. 130 ft

There is an obvious point where tires play huge factor in stopping distances.

Last edited:
MSRP for the 2018 NC750X DCT is $8,699. Is it usual to pay MSRP to get one of the first bikes delivered?

I've only bought used bikes before (and still looking at any used '16 or '17 California emissions models as they become available).

You decide what you’re going to pay. Pricing is up to the individual dealer, but you get to pick the dealer. If a dealer insists on MSRP or higher, shop around until you find the deal you want.

When the 2012 NC700X was a long anticipated new model and hit the USA in July, 2012, they were selling in the Midwest for 8% under list with “free” freight and setup. I don’t know how the pricing was in California.

I did club level motorcycle road racing for 5 years. I have some up close and personal firsthand experience with hard braking.

Obviously then, different riding styles will dictate the desire for two fronts disks or satisfaction with just one. I hardly use the brakes; my front and rear pads look almost new at 34,000 miles. So for me, and other less aggressive riders, one front brake disk is fine.

One of my NCs was Beemerphile’s. He had modded the two pot front caliper to the three pot version. I believe this makes for a little longer lever travel for good feel, and more mechanical advantage for ultimate stopping “power.” It works well.

Last edited:
Dual vs single front rotors is mostly about aesthetics. Why?

The real advantage that dual front rotors provide is better control of heat due to more surface area. That means the brakes stay cooler longer and will not fade with repeated use (as found on race tracks or aggressive street riding). If that is what you plan to do with your motorcycle, the NC is probably the wrong choice ;-)

Note that from an engineering perspective, a single rotor's initial stops should be just about the same (or slightly better) than a dual rotor system's initial stop, if both have equal swept areas.

If I have a single rotor with less swept area, but using a material (carbon ceramic?) with 2x the braking force of a dual rotor system, the single rotor will also have initial stops that perform the same as a dual rotor setup.

Aggressive stops with a single rotor means that 100 percent of the energy absorbed is going to only a single disc. Result: Lots of heat on the rotor.

Aggressive stops with dual rotors means that 50 percent of the energy absorbed is going to each of the single discs. Result: Less heat for each rotor and consequently less fade.

After a few hot laps dual rotor systems (because they can radiate heat 2x better) will outperform the single rotor system. That is why club racers and aggressive street riders really need the dual disc setups.

Plus, they look cool ;-)

Last edited:
As I’ve aged and my riding style has, shall we say, mellowed, I find that I anticipate braking situations better. That, coupled with the inherent engine braking of the DCT, ensures long lasting brake pads on this bike. And no need, in my case anyway, for an additional disc on the front. Course, ya never need it - until ya do...:cool:

Well, the question remains, will the 2018 have dual discs? The website contradicts itself.

I really like the looks of the 2018 and I'm surely tempted. Will all my Honda cases from my 2013 mount? That is my only concern.

Got my 2018 NC750x DCT on order in Northern California. Unfortunately, the Honda Central Command is not telling my dealer much about a delivery date. The best he will tell me is "June". And even that is far from confirmed. Also I am noting that there are as yet no accessories on the powersports website for this bike. It is going to be a while. This is the same fidgety rollout that happened to the 2012 models.

In the ripoff shops in California they were trying to get MSRP plus "additional dealer markup" in 2012. I rode in on an FJR and wanted to look at their NC and was treated with some disdain by the floor people. I wish them luck and may all their future buyers be 20 year olds who have to check with their cosigner before they can make a move.
I have an order in for a 2018 DCT model at a vastly different dealer in Northern California. Wish me luck for that possible June delivery.

Let us know if it comes with two real front disks per Honda’s specs, or if one is transparent aluminum as shown in the Honda photos.

Let us know if it comes with two real front disks per Honda’s specs, or if one is transparent aluminum as shown in the Honda photos.

If they are finally using that transparent aluminum I have this idea we can save some whales... Yes, I still use a quaint mouse... LOL

In the ripoff shops in California they were trying to get MSRP plus "additional dealer markup" in 2012.......
Gee all this time I thought capitalism was a good thing. Additional dealer mark up only works when demand exceeds supply. It's why tomatoes go up in the winter but the grocer doesn't have to tell you how much extra.

check the NC750 forum section next week. My 2018 NC750X DCT is here. Got message from dealer on May04 saying my bike was shipped and will be put together this coming week.
Bike will be in dealer warehouse on May 07 or 08.
I will pick it up on May 11. (Vancouver Canada)
Around here, MSRP is the normal price for current model years. Only get discount for new old stock. Dealer fees and other charges too. Some dealer fees are outrageous tho. One dealer wanted
over $1000 more than the dealer i got the bike at.

One local Yamaha dealer advertises really low bike prices. Makes it look like a super deal until you find out they jack up the price with crazy high dealer fees.

Part of the problem is the inevitable "sizing up" that happens in a dealership. Two people can go in and get different prices on the same transaction. Dealer markup is an obvious difference and freight and setup are another way in which a dealer can take advantage of somebody who is hot to buy and not shopping very hard.

That being said, I agree that it's a free country and everybody is free to stay and buy or just walk away. I called a dealer recently on the phone about an attractive price on an Africa Twin and then I asked him what the freight and setup charges would be and he wouldn't tell me. What? You have something for sale and you can't state the price? That saves me a trip for sure. Again, I guess the theory is that they get you in the dealership and evaluate just what you might put up with and go from there. Rube alert!

Back