• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Honda's new CB4X concept!

It has the 650cc inline 4 cyl engine out of the current 650r sport/sport naked bikes. Which makes a little wide around the engine area where I would need a highway peg, but it may be tall enough for that not to matter. Either way, it looks super badass! Single sided swingarm, 17" wheels with 180 rear tire, and I love the body work styling.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Make it shaft or belt and bingo...
That engine only makes around 80 hp and shaft drive systems create more parasitic power loss than chain or belt drive. Also adds more weight making the bike heavier, like the heavy VFR1200X.

And anything with an X in it's name billed as a good all rounder, even if not to be taken offroad much, probably won't have a belt drive system, as any type of stones or debris can easily get caught in the belt and break it leaving you stranded.

As bad as chain maintenance is and cost to replace every x amount of miles, it really is the most practical drive system for a bike like this.

Make it shaft or belt and bingo...

Agreed 100%. Enough of this archaic chain drive nonsense.

I’d vote for belt drive. If stones are a problem, simply enclose it.

On the other hand, looking at the seat and the tail end / fender, this bike looks pretty useless for anything but going around the block. Meh. Total meh.

Last edited:
It's a concept bike, highly doubt a production seat would look like that. It also has Ohlins suspension and full SC project exhaust, which I doubt would even be a factory option. It's just the concept that a production model could be based around. I think it looks great though, similar styling to some KTMs.

That whole rear end area with the beautiful rear wheel on the mono swingarm, carbon exhaust, and ohlins rear shock sittin' pretty in there, is an absolute work of art. Honda's problem is that they are capable of making cutting edge designs like this that are not too extreme, but end up toning the aggression down a bit for the production model.

7d4f1c568d0cc745a9e50aa406fd5f42.jpg

I believe there is room in the market for bikes like this to compete against exotic bikes. The problem with most exotic bikes is that they deliver performance and looks, but at the cost of lesser reliability and more cost to maintain. If Honda would put out some high performance, aggressively styled bikes like this and others that could rival some Ducati, Aprilia, and KTM models, I think they would sell well due to Honda's renowned reliability. I'd love to own a Ducati, but probably never will due to reliability and cost of maintenance. But if Honda were to ever offer bikes that could rival the Multistrada or the Hypermotard, I'd be down for that!

That engine only makes around 80 hp and shaft drive systems create more parasitic power loss than chain or belt drive. Also adds more weight making the bike heavier, like the heavy VFR1200X.

And anything with an X in it's name billed as a good all rounder, even if not to be taken offroad much, probably won't have a belt drive system, as any type of stones or debris can easily get caught in the belt and break it leaving you stranded.

As bad as chain maintenance is and cost to replace every x amount of miles, it really is the most practical drive system for a bike like this.

my 2007 C50 Boulevard, has shaft drive, weighs 550lbs, only 42hp, and can do triple digits...fast enough for me...oh, and the shaft drive system from the transmission to the rear wheel (shaft and rear hub assemblies) is only a couple more lbs than the sprockets and chain on my NC700x...it is a misnomer that all drive shaft systems weigh extremely more than chain systems....depends on the drive systems and chain systems...

That whole rear end area with the beautiful rear wheel on the mono swingarm, carbon exhaust, and ohlins rear shock sittin' pretty in there, is an absolute work of art. Honda's problem is that they are capable of making cutting edge designs like this that are not too extreme, but end up toning the aggression down a bit for the production model.

7d4f1c568d0cc745a9e50aa406fd5f42.jpg

I believe there is room in the market for bikes like this to compete against exotic bikes. The problem with most exotic bikes is that they deliver performance and looks, but at the cost of lesser reliability and more cost to maintain. If Honda would put out some high performance, aggressively styled bikes like this and others that could rival some Ducati, Aprilia, and KTM models, I think they would sell well due to Honda's renowned reliability. I'd love to own a Ducati, but probably never will due to reliability and cost of maintenance. But if Honda were to ever offer bikes that could rival the Multistrada or the Hypermotard, I'd be down for that!

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...I think the bike is as ugly as mud sin that only a mother could love. Single side arm is good, but I hate shorty double exhausts (ugly); of an X concept, that exhaust below the engine would have to go (with an X in the name, should be able to do a little off-road, maybe, but the exhaust under the engine would take a beating)..I could go belt (which they could enclose with really no added weight loss)...they could take the shaft drive off the NT700 with no added weight gain compared to the huge sprockets/chain on this thing...

I disagree TacomaJD. The premium Euro brands mentioned play to a niche market in the US and do well selling a few thousand a year with individual models sometimes selling a few hundred units. Exclusivity is part of the "value" seen by buyers and spotty parts and maintenance is part of the character. Honda plays a different game. They sell more motorcycles and ATVs in a week than Ducati does all year. It's not worth the development and supply chain costs to bring in a bike that competes in the market of 2%. When Honda screws up and ends up with a 2 percenter like the VFR 1200 the usually pull the plug after one or two model years and that 2% bike still probably outsells a Ducati model many times over.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...I think the bike is as ugly as mud sin that only a mother could love. Single side arm is good, but I hate shorty double exhausts (ugly); of an X concept, that exhaust below the engine would have to go (with an X in the name, should be able to do a little off-road, maybe, but the exhaust under the engine would take a beating)..I could go belt (which they could enclose with really no added weight loss)...they could take the shaft drive off the NT700 with no added weight gain compared to the huge sprockets/chain on this thing...

Couldn't agree more. Kind of reminds me of my old Vstrom with it' bulbous front end. Also thinking the center of gravity would be rather high.

I disagree TacomaJD. The premium Euro brands mentioned play to a niche market in the US and do well selling a few thousand a year with individual models sometimes selling a few hundred units. Exclusivity is part of the "value" seen by buyers and spotty parts and maintenance is part of the character. Honda plays a different game. They sell more motorcycles and ATVs in a week than Ducati does all year. It's not worth the development and supply chain costs to bring in a bike that competes in the market of 2%. When Honda screws up and ends up with a 2 percenter like the VFR 1200 the usually pull the plug after one or two model years and that 2% bike still probably outsells a Ducati model many times over.
I agree with you to a certain degree, but with Honda's release of niche models like the Rune and NM4 they definitely aren't afraid to branch out. I don't know the sale numbers, but the Rune is/was a rare bird. The NM4 is in the US, (I've never seen one in person), although like the Vfr1200x (crosstourer), it may had been more popular overseas. Honda always seems to be behind the competition in specs though. If the VFR1200X was 100 lbs lighter and offered with the choice of wheel size 17/19 or 17/17, and better oem suspension, I figure it would have sold more in the US. Also, how they market bikes like that in the US. Not every dealer stocks bikes like those, but they can order you one. But when people don't see an advertisement for a particular bike and half the dealers don't keep them on the showroom, people don't even know the bike existed.

Think how the NC700X has been out since 2012, me being pretty big into motorcycles, and never even knowing what an NC700X is until earlier this year, and how revolutionary the bike has been to me in getting me back into track/sport riding. That's 7 years of fun riding I missed out on. Lol

If they'd market a little better, and put out bikes that more closely align with the competition, I think they could do well in the niche markets. The VFR1200X weighed more, had less power, worse suspension, less electronics, and a little more uncommon tire sizes as opposed to the other ADV bikes in its class. When buyers are looking for a new ADV bike in said class, I'm sure the Honda was considered several times, but lost out to better performing competition's models.

I know most of y'all would disagree, but I think they would have sold a bunch more NC's if it sported an engine closer to 100 hp and had a little better suspension.

There are many different bikes made to fit the many different tastes of the people who ride. In my experience, most people who are active buyers desire performance, not the most economical/practical type like the majority of NC owners. I realize my tastes and interests are far different than most here on this board. I can agree to disagree, because we'll never all agree. If we did agree, there wouldn't be so many different successful brands and models of bikes out there getting sold everyday. The old saying "Different strokes for different folks" holds no truer than with motorcycles and music. Lol

Last edited:
Back