• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Horizons Unlimited California in October

first, I'd need to know more about "horizons unlimited". They seem to have meetings around the country, but who are they and why?

My family vacations around there every summer, so I know the area well.

I'm reading the book "Hopeless Class" about long distance motorcycle riding now and enjoying it very much.
I'm sure there will be a few long distance rides on weekends this fall in store for me.

Meeting new people is very difficult and not fun for some of us. I think I'll pass on this one.

I'm reading the book "Hopeless Class" about long distance motorcycle riding now and enjoying it very much.
Yes. Great book. It sounds like a ton of fun, except that I like sleep. That's why I prefer things like the Park 'n' Ride Rally I'm doing in Sept.

Meeting new people is very difficult and not fun for some of us. I think I'll pass on this one.
You have no idea how amusing I find this. Especially as I am only marginally human myself.

A horizon is a limit.....the limit of how far you can see. All horizons are by definition limited.

Yes. Great book. It sounds like a ton of fun, except that I like sleep. That's why I prefer things like the Park 'n' Ride Rally I'm doing in Sept.

The author seems to dance around that issue. He claims that safety is paramount, but then lauds riding 20 hours a day. I think he's being dishonest. If you are sleep-deprived, you are not safe. I'll finish the book, maybe even attempt the 1,000 miles in one day "saddle sore" ride for the "Iron Butt" certificate, but the 11-day rally sleeping 4 hours a night seems stupidly unsafe. ... though an entertaining read!

The author seems to dance around that issue. He claims that safety is paramount, but then lauds riding 20 hours a day. I think he's being dishonest. If you are sleep-deprived, you are not safe. I'll finish the book, maybe even attempt the 1,000 miles in one day "saddle sore" ride for the "Iron Butt" certificate, but the 11-day rally sleeping 4 hours a night seems stupidly unsafe. ... though an entertaining read!

I'd rather take my chances with a drunk driver than a drowsy driver. The effects on ability to recognize danger, make judgments, respond to changing situations, avoid danger, et cetera is essentially the same, but the advantage comes from there being a greater chance the drunk at least HAS HIS EYES OPEN!

I'll be taking my family to the land of talking big eared mice and princess's during those dates. So I'm not gonna make it.

If you go into Disneyland City Hall and you see a young lady named "Pippa" behind the desk there, please tell her that her Dad says "hi".

If you go into Disneyland City Hall and you see a young lady named "Pippa" behind the desk there, please tell her that her Dad says "hi".

Are you sure you want to make a public post telling your daughter's name and exactly where she can be found? Even if she's an adult that has the potential to go badly.

Are you sure you want to make a public post telling your daughter's name and exactly where she can be found? Even if she's an adult that has the potential to go badly.

Hundreds of people a day see her at Disneyland. Her name tag says her name and where she's from.
I choose not to live my life in fear.

but congrats, you made me sorry I mentioned it.

Horizons Unlimited are folks who like to ride and ride and then ride some more. That is the purpose, to just help you realize your riding dreams, what ever and where ever that might be. I just came from a meeting that was taught by a lady who had just ridden the alps. This lady was organized and simply showed us every thing and how to make your alp dream a reality, down to the last penny. Very detailed.

At that same time, some of the other guys where taking another class on how to properly prep their motorcycle for any trip,9.jpg

SmileyEyeBrows.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:
Hundreds of people a day see her at Disneyland. Her name tag says her name and where she's from.
I choose not to live my life in fear.

but congrats, you made me sorry I mentioned it.

I realize she works in a very public place and wears a name tag. But now anybody who sees the post can walk up to her, introduce themselves as a friend of yours, and her guard is going to be down.

I applaud you for not living in fear, but that's moot as it is her info you threw out, not yours.

I am doing every thing in my power to go. My Maine trip keeps getting moved back further and further by doctors. I now have to do an EMG, what ever that is, on 10/03/2012. So, on 10/04/2013 off to Vermont and Maine I go, I hope. The leaves won't wait on me. Then to Daytona by the 17th for the races. After this is what I still don't know. If my wife wants to go to Key West off to Key West I go, otherwise off to Horizons Unlimited California I go. So, I still don't know. However, one thing I am sure of, is that you and your husband will have a great time at Horizons Unlimited, a bunch of great folks.2.jpg

SmileyMustacheEyebrow.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:
JUST FYI the 2014 CA HU meeting is Sept. 25-28. New! New location - Yosemite! Lots of camping space, several large presentation rooms, and a very friendly town! We'll be there! Online registration is open now! I'm coming from TX for this one and I believe Old Can Ride is planning on making it also but only he can really say on that. I went to the one in CO (1/10 the size of the CA HU ) and it was one of the best group gathering I've ever attended. Laid back riders of all ages and many who have or are/or thinking about RTW (round the world) tours. Just a cool bunch of people who treated this old fart (newbie to off-road and RTW) like family. I do not like to camp (yet) so I've stayed in hotel/motel or bunk houses near the rally. Their site Welcome to the global home of motorcycle travel and overland adventure travel! | Horizons Unlimited is worth the visit. The HU Achievable Dream dvd set is my most repeated viewed dvds so far. Many of the Kindle books I have been reading lately have been people who recommend HU. I will probably never do a RTW but sure a lot of good info and ideas in general.

Last edited:
Back