• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Horizons Unlimited Stecoah, NC

Had a great time. Wish I didn't have to leave early, but 10 days on road and leaving again Monday for work trip needed one day at home in between.

At least I got home in time to see NAVY finish beating whipping houston. Would have been so sweet to sit next to OCR for that one.

DCTFAN is happy! He's found another gravel road!

IMG_2088.jpg

I rode with 670cc and when I was leading, I kept getting us lost (Agent and everybody who rides with me knows)
But 670cc always puts us back on some of the greatest roads in the area.
A river, trees, rocky wall and gravel roads with my 2 wheels thrown in makes me happy.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Nowadays when I see the word "mapping" I think GPS routes. My original mapping program, Mapsource, is no longer updated by Garmin. I'll have to learn something new before too long and it won't be printed on large piece of paper.

I have tons of gdb routes by state or region in a laptop and a thumb drive. I've had a good long run on Garmin products but in a way it's held me back from new ideas that use other digital maps and devices that serve several functions.

Sorry to have started this...i was making an off hand comment to honor those who are adventuring in the mountains where i ride. I have the full collection of america rides map, the Tellico gps as well as the SM500 and 1000 maps. Sometimes its nice to have folks recommend specific routes, roads, trails. Apologies for the misunderstanding

Sorry to have started this...i was making an off hand comment to honor those who are adventuring in the mountains where i ride. I have the full collection of america rides map, the Tellico gps as well as the SM500 and 1000 maps. Sometimes its nice to have folks recommend specific routes, roads, trails. Apologies for the misunderstanding
I am sorry I hijacked the thread. When you mentioned mapping I thought it meant saving and sharing electronic routes and/or tracks of this and past events.

2016 HU Meet Stecoah NC

Looked up this short gravel/paved road and it's Needmore Rd that connects to HWY28 at the North end.
I Needed More (what a great name!) so went through it again, going home on Sunday.

<a href="https://youtu.be/VnEKeyfIx2c" target="_blank">[video=youtube_share;VnEKeyfIx2c]https://youtu.be/VnEKeyfIx2c[/video]

Then jumped on the SM500 section towards Suches, GA.
This took me onto gravel via Telico Rd, WayahRd, Rainbow Springs, FS road connecting to Coweta Lab and onto HWY23 south.

My gopro died on NeedMore Rd. and only took couple of phone pics ...

3a953ee31a0f24408544ffe5443746bc.jpg

ae9e19f93bd163c529bb00b938e6676c.jpg

DCTFAN is happy! He's found another gravel road!

Last edited:
I am sorry I hijacked the thread. When you mentioned mapping I thought it meant saving and sharing electronic routes and/or tracks of this and past events.

IMO, the subject is quite relevant to the theme of MC travel because I never leave home without it.
I was hoping HU would have some seminars about using GPS/files in the modern age.
In fact, I spent all my time riding the three days and missed all the scheduled events at HU.

No regrets, though.

In some respects...yes. sometimes i would like to try the routes reported on here, especially those on FS roads. In fact, you led me on routes new to me last spring that i truly enjoyed. It seems NC riders combine paved and FS roads uniquely. I would like to collect routes appropriate for NC riding. Our own America Rides maps. Might have to start a thread.

It was great meeting, and reconnecting with you all again. Friday was a great ride out and the pulled pork was awesome, even if I had it twice (back at IHL for dinner). I am writing up some stuff, and compiling my photos and should have something later today. It was great talking with everyone, and cannot wait to do so again.

And, I think the NC's nearly outnumbered the GS's this year! It was almost like an NC rally! And, actually, an NC Rally would be great.

Oh, and my decision to run through Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge on the way home ended up being a decent ride. Very little traffic and the climb though 441 was great. Most of the ride there wasnt anyone in front of me. It only took me about 30 minutes longer overall. I left just before 8am and got home right at 3pm.

https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=127c457f258330904b

Last edited:
Looked up this short gravel/paved road and it's Needmore Rd that connects to HWY28 at the North end.
I Needed More (what a great name!) so went through it again, going home on Sunday.
https://youtu.be/VnEKeyfIx2c

Then jumped on the SM500 section towards Suches, GA.
This took me onto gravel via Telico Rd, WayahRd, Rainbow Springs, FS road connecting to Coweta Lab and onto HWY23 south.

That's what I'm talking about. I looked that up on the maps and it looked like a fine adventure. On my list. I already had Tellico road on my "must do" list. Would street tires do on those roads.

On my list. I already had Tellico road on my "must do" list. Would street tires do on those roads.

I'd say no to street tires. The last mile of Telico Rd is steep winding u turns that would require considerable traction. My Shinko705's performed well, eating up any gravel and ruts. There was only a little mud due to the rain from the day before.
As far as DS routes that most can enjoy riding, is IMO something to be decided on an individual basis.
I do like the idea of a group ride on some of the FS roads due to their remoteness.
@ HU, I talked to a local rider who told me that he enjoys riding in the reservation with good dirt roads only a few know about. I forget his name but now that i know it's near that part of NC, it's just a matter of exploration. It would not be found on any map that is sold.

Last edited:
If say no to street tires. The last mile of Telico Rd is steep winding u turns that would require considerable traction. My Shinko705's performed well, eating up any gravel and ruts. There was only a little mud due to the rain from the day before.
As far as DS routes that most can enjoy riding, is IMO something to be decided on an individual basis.
I do like the idea of a group ride on some of the FS roads due to their remoteness.
@ HU, I talked to a local rider who told me that he enjoys riding in the reservation with good dirt roads only a few know about. I forget his name but now that i know it's near that part of NC, it's just a matter of exploration. It would not be found on any map that is sold.

I rode my first NC across Tellico/Otter Creek on PR3s. My friend's cabin is right off 28 there at the west end. The NC has tractor-like traction though with enough torque at low rpm to keep the tire hooked up but not enough to worry about spinning the tire too much. Just keep it chugging.

Back