Hot weather. What does your outfit look like this year?

Fuzzy

Reaction score
Visit site
In the summer I use my one piece Ilympia mesh. Super easy on off with leg zippers that go above waist and chest zipper that goes below crotch. Great airflow. Did not come with liner or rain cover so carry rain gear just in case. Unfortunately they quit making it a few years ago.

melensdad

Reaction score
Visit site
Today, 95, sunny and humid. Mostly suburban rural riding at mostly speeds above 40mph. KLIM Outrider pants. FirstGear Rush Air jacket. Went out 3 times. Durations: 1 hour. 2.5 hours. And 1.5 hours.

Makingitwork6999

Reaction score
Visit site
In the summer I use my one piece Ilympia mesh. Super easy on off with leg zippers that go above waist and chest zipper that goes below crotch. Great airflow. Did not come with liner or rain cover so carry rain gear just in case. Unfortunately they quit making it a few years ago.
Can we see it anyway?? You would be shocked as to what people clone and resell.

Somewhere in the world, people make tube radios and TVs.

670cc

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Mods
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yesterday, I happened to have a cooler mounted on a hitch rack on back of the Goldwing. I soaked the cooling vest in ice water and then wore it for the ride under a mesh jacket. Of course I had used the vest in the past but the ice water was a new spin on it. It was good for about 90 minutes, when I would stop for a drink anyway. The weather was sunny and almost 90* F. It was not weather I would normally choose tor ride in but I had to get home from a camping trip.

DirtFlier

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I wear a mesh Olympia jacket on top + mesh gloves. For pants I wear my faithful Darians which are one size too large for me so they have plenty of extra room in the legs. Many people wear long pants under their Darians but the seams have never bothered me. On really hot days, I can open the ankle flaps a max amount to allow air to come up my legs. Yup, they're black and absorb heat but work much, much better than thinly-lined, vented pants I've had in the past - plus they're waterproof!

Last edited:

Lomunchi

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It's gonna be in the 90's all week in MN!!!!!

If it's going to be over 90 I wear an old mesh jacket and my 3/4 helmet. As long as I'm moving, I'm just fine.

melensdad

Reaction score
Visit site
Was trying do decide on a new hot weather jacket. Looked at the Rev'it Tornado 3. I have the matching pants, they are great for hot weather riding but come with liners for thermal and rain which I find less useful. The Tornado 3 jacket includes thermal and rain liners and to me I'd rather just have a good HOT weather jacket. I do like the cut, look and fit of the Tornado 3. Still paying for liners I won't use is not something I find desirable.

Picking up a new KLIM Induction Pro tomorrow. It will flow more air than my KLIM Apex Air, which is a great jacket but has open/closable vent panels. It is fantastic for cool to warm rides but not great for just plain old hot and humid. Ultimately the airflow and the protection of the new Induction Pro won me over.

CE AA rated garment, CE 2 elbow/shoulder armor. Many garments are not CE rates but use CE pads. This is a level (or 2) up form those.

I also have a FirstGear Rush Air, it is nice for super hot/humid days, but it also ends up getting borrowed frequently. Figure the Induction Pro will be mine, mine, mine and is supposed to flow air as well as anything else.

Last edited:

melensdad

Reaction score
Visit site
Wow, you spend a lot of money on gear lol
I have 3 jackets, well now I have 4.

FirstGear Kilimanjaro for rain and cooler weather
Klim Apex Air for transitional weather from cool to hot, but generally low humidity
Klim Induction Pro will replace my FirstGear Rush Air for 85+ high humidity days

FirstGear Rush Air has been "adopted" by other family members so I pretty much lost that one

TonyKZ1

Reaction score
Visit site
I also have a Kilimanjaro Air (i.e. basically a 3/4 length mesh jacket) that is actually working out fine (with the waterproof liner installed) with this very warm and rainy weather we're having lately. Otherwise I'd be wearing a Fieldsheer Hydro Tour Adventure Jacket that's not very waterproof either regardless of it's name. I wear these along a pair of Firstgear overpants.

I actually prefer to wear a one-piece textile suit, but my Tourmaster suit is basically coming apart at the seams, so it's back hanging in the closet. I have it had fixed before and the guy said they didn't use enough material in the seams, so he added more material where it was coming apart then. Now it's a different spot, ah well.

melensdad

Reaction score
Visit site
92 and HUMID today.

Rode out in the FirstGear Rush AIR jacket. Rode home in the KLIM Induction Pro.

I'm a fan of FirstGear, pretty good stuff, mid-priced, lots of features, decent materials. But 90 minutes wearing the FirstGear Rush AIR jacket and I was hot. It was comfortable at 40mph and above, but despite its light weight and large amounts of mesh, I was still riding in 90+(F) temps and high humidity.

Pulled into my buddy's house, but before I left I switched to the KLIM Induction Pro and immediately noticed a significantly greater amount of airflow! WOW. This was my first ride with it and I wanted to do a back-to-back comparison between the 2 jackets during one ride.

The arms on the KLIM are about 75% mesh with textile on the elbows and shoulders. The arms on the FG jacket are about 50% mesh/50% textile. 70+% body of the the KLIM Induction Pro is mesh. The FG is textile up the sides and across the shoulders, so probably about 60% mesh/40% textile. Basically the KLIM Induction Pro is mesh except around the waistband, the elbows & the shoulders and small reinforced areas on the sides.

When I bought the FirstGear Rush Air it had some of the best mesh coverage I could find, ICON's MESH AF jacket is more mesh but there is a video of a guy doing a low speed crash in the Icon MESH AF jacket and it shredded so I opted to avoid that jacket.

Quite a noticeable difference in the the airflow between the KLIM and the FirstGear.

Don't get me wrong, sunshine, 90(F) + humid is miserable unless you have air flowing so the KLIM is not magic in stop & go traffic, but on the road it has noticeably more airflow. I'm pretty happy.

Last edited:

TonyKZ1

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, that's one thing with riding the bike during warm/hot weather, you're usually fine as long as you're moving. I usually get the comments "Aren't you hot in that jacket?" from people who don't wear any gear at all, unless you'd consider a bandanna and a t-shirt as protective gear. Not as long as I'm moving is usually my answer.

melensdad

Reaction score
Visit site
I was just shocked by how noticeable the airflow difference was between the 2 mesh jackets.

the Ferret

Reaction score
Visit site
When a buddy quit riding he gave me his Joe Rocket mesh and I was surprised how much more air it flowed compared to my Tourmaster mesh. I noticed the holes were a lot larger on the JR. He ended up buying another bike so I gave him the JR jacket back , and I'm back to wearing my hotter Tourmaster lol.

melensdad

Reaction score
Visit site
When a buddy quit riding he gave me his Joe Rocket mesh and I was surprised how much more air it flowed compared to my Tourmaster mesh. I noticed the holes were a lot larger on the JR. He ended up buying another bike so I gave him the JR jacket back , and I'm back to wearing my hotter Tourmaster lol.
Oddly the holes in the mesh of the KLIM are smaller than the mesh holes on the FG. I think in the case of my 2 jackets the difference is that the KLIM simply uses a lot more mesh. The stretch panels are micro mesh (whatever that is) and the main body and much of the arms are a mesh that apparently can take a slide?

When I bought the FG last year I looked at a lot of different brands and compared how much mesh they had, looked at the overall construction, slide/impact areas, etc. I thought the FG was a bargain (and I got it cheap) but as much cooler as it is compared to my KLIM Apex Air (which is more suitable to late spring/early fall than the dog days of summer) it is not comparable to this KLIM. I was very close to buying a Rev'it Airwave 3 but today I am really happy I got the Induction Pro.

Its still over 80 degrees and the humidity was showing 68% on my weather station when I came inside from putting the bikes to bed a little while ago.

MZ5

Reaction score
Visit site
Supposed to be 115 here by early next week. Don't like to ride when it's 110 or hotter, but sometimes I have to (or just do, for whatever reason). If I do, I'll still be in my kevlar mesh Motoports and my CE Level 2 jacket. I was thinking the other day that I might try the drinking water bladder that goes in the jacket again, but put ice in the pouch it sits in. My hope is that the ice will prevent the water becoming 110 before the ride is over, and maybe some of the melting ice will help with cooling. Of course, I might just end up with a bag of hot water sitting in a pouch of hot water.
(-:

Havok

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I did desert training in the Army back in the 80’s at White Sands missile range. I live in Iowa now. 115=95 with 85% humidity and that is miserable