• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Hotwired brand heated jacket

melensdad

Reaction score
Visit site
My wife loves me. Well after 35 years maybe more accurately she puts up with me. But each fall I complain about being cold on the bike. So she broke down after my incessant whining and bought me a gift.

Revzilla “Staff Pick” heated jacket from Hotwired.

457-C8576-5-CC3-4-DE1-A438-8-C2341-D3-F281.jpg

It comes with the wiring harness needed to install it on a bike. The heat controller is built into the jacket; 3 modes Low/Medium/High. Cost is about US$220.
C162AED8-98E2-4064-AA2E-AF01C4500862.jpg

Cuffs are an elasticized knit to provide a basic thermal barrier. Collar is fleece for comfort.
90044565-7434-4421-8B46-74BC5E115140.jpg

For times when you are off the bike the wires can be concealed in zipper pockets. There is a pocket at each cuff for wires to connect to your gloves. Apparently the gloves heat output is not controlled by jacket controller? There is another pocket for the wire that connects to the bike’s wire.

The jacket has a tab on the lower left side that hangs down a couple inches. On that tab is the switch for controlling the heat. It is illuminated in 3 colors depending upon the heat intensity you choose.
61F8422C-716E-4463-8D02-223AE53A098C.jpg

39-F1-CCAB-C787-40-E8-9761-6-FF3-D0-A79-B5-A.jpg

I’ll be installing this on the bike later this week and testing it out for an initial impression review.

Last edited:
No 0-100% heat controller or separate glove heat control?
The HOTWIRED brand gloves have heat controllers built into the glove, so the wattage passed through to the gloves is 100%. The controller is just like the controller on the jacket, simple 3 temperature selector, off/low/medium/high and each glove can be controlled independently of the other glove.

As I understand it there is a way to use some other brand gloves, some are supposedly compatible? I don't know how they would be controlled. One of the Revzilla videos mentions some brands will work with the system. It is possible they are wrong, that has happened before.

Honestly I've not looked into any of the gloves because I have 2 good pairs of insulated winter moto gloves (Dianese and Rev'it) and have not ridden in temps low enough (yet) to need heated gloves (yet) because my body always got cold before my hands. So now that I have a heated jacket I'll probably be riding in cooler temps and longer distances and then I'll see if there is a reason (for me) to consider heated gloves.

The HOTWIRED brand gloves have heat controllers built into the glove, so the wattage passed through to the gloves is 100%. The controller is just like the controller on the jacket, simple 3 temperature selector, off/low/medium/high and each glove can be controlled independently of the other glove.

As I understand it there is a way to use some other brand gloves, some are supposedly compatible? I don't know how they would be controlled. One of the Revzilla videos mentions some brands will work with the system. It is possible they are wrong, that has happened before.

Honestly I've not looked into any of the gloves because I have 2 good pairs of insulated winter moto gloves (Dianese and Rev'it) and have not ridden in temps low enough (yet) to need heated gloves (yet) because my body always got cold before my hands. So now that I have a heated jacket I'll probably be riding in cooler temps and longer distances and then I'll see if there is a reason (for me) to consider heated gloves.
Thanks for the detailed reply. I believe you will enjoy an extended riding season with your wife's thoughtful gift.

Though I live in a warmer climate I do get a fair amount of use out of my heated gloves and I wouldn't want a system that did not allow controlling gloves separately from the jacket. Heated gloves (or heated grips to a lesser degree) allow me to use lighter and less bulky gloves in cool/cold temps and that is the main reason I originally bought them. This line of thought came from what happened when I first invested in a heated jacket - I was riding in mid winter with 4 bulky layers under a jacket and staying warm enough when I saw the benefit of using just two layers, one heated, under the same jacket. No restricted body movement and faster to dress and undress at a rest stop. The thing is however if the jacket fails to heat and I'm a long way from home it gets awfully cold awfully fast. I learned this first hand and after that normally carry a fleece or flannel pull-over with me during winter day rides when I might have to ride a couple hours home with no heat.

Though I live in a warmer climate I do get a fair amount of use out of my heated gloves and I wouldn't want a system that did not allow controlling gloves separately...
Well the Hotwired brand gloves will certainly allow separate heat control.

From what I can tell from various reviews, it looks like the older generations of the Hotwired products did not have the same features as this current generation of their product.

this looks like the "Venture" branded jacket I just got (would not surprise me if they are made at the same factory and just branded differently - even the control button is identical). I just got the glove liners to go with my jacket and love them both. They are all independently controlled - each glove has a control button, as does the jacket. So you could have the Jacket on high, left glove on medium, and right glove on low.

It hasn't been really cold here yet ... upper 40's in the morning ... so "low" was plenty. The jacket also serves as a great "wind break" under my Kilimanjaro jacket so that adds some warmth. It so nice not having to wear 4 layers!

Went out to the workshop where I keep the bikes and scooters and wired it onto the battery. It's a 10 minute job; took me about 20 minutes because my glasses kept fogging up, couldn't see what I was doing and I couldn't get the NEG side screw to catch on the battery terminal. Clearly even an idiot can hook this up.

Tested out the jacket in my 30 second trial and wow does it warm up fast. I was very surprised that it heated so quickly. Looks like I'll be having warm and toasty fall riding.

this looks like the "Venture" branded jacket I just got (would not surprise me if they are made at the same factory and just branded differently - even the control button is identical). I just got the glove liners to go with my jacket and love them both. They are all independently controlled - each glove has a control button, as does the jacket. So you could have the Jacket on high, left glove on medium, and right glove on low.

It hasn't been really cold here yet ... upper 40's in the morning ... so "low" was plenty. The jacket also serves as a great "wind break" under my Kilimanjaro jacket so that adds some warmth. It so nice not having to wear 4 layers!
I would not be surprised if it was the same. I looked at various websites and they do look like the same thing under a different name. Clearly not the first time that has happened.

I have this jacket and its great!! Extends my riding season 3-4 weeks on each end barring snow, ice or salt.
I've been commuting by motorcycle but heard the forecast and drove the car. I am afraid, around here, we have snow before it is just too cold to ride. This is my car in the parking lot of the Early Election Center where I work, Tuesday.

IMG_20201020_185502058 (1).jpg

I know I said I’d test the Hotwired jacket but it was in the 70’s and humid today. Supposed to be in the 40’s early next week.

Can’t believe I’m looking forward to cool riding weather.

Mid-40's (F) today with overcast skies and occasional rain, perfect day to try out the Hotwired jacket.

Normally my bottom end temperature for riding is 50(F) and I'm wearing 3 layers of shirts/fleece/sweater under my FirstGear Kilimanjaro jacket. Typically I can last about an hour or so on the bike before I need to stop and warm up. FWIW, the rural roads in my area typically have 40 to 60mph speed limits. I can't think of a road I normally ride that has a speed limit under 40mph unless I ride into one of the towns.

Today I wore a Notre Dame "Dad" long sleeve t-shirt under the Hotwired jacket liner, with the FirstGear Kilimanjaro jacket. For those unfamiliar with the FirstGear Kilimanjaro, it is an unlined/non-insulated textile shell jacket.

So clearly I was wearing far less than normal, substituting the Hotwired jacket for 2 layers of fleece and a heavy sweater. Started out with the jacket on the LOW/GREEN setting. Got about 2 miles down the road, 45mph and came to a stop sign. I was not cold or cool, but neither was I warm. While at the stop sign I switched the jacket's setting to the MID/YELLOW setting.

• ISSUE - The FirstGear Kilimanjaro jacket is long enough that it covers the Hotwired controller so there would be no way to change heat settings while riding. If I had a handlebar mounted controller I probably could have changed the setting far easier.
  • ISSUE - For those of us with FULL FACE HELMETS, in my case an Arai Defiant, it takes a good deal of neck stretching to look down far enough to see my waist band. As the Hotwired controller hangs from the hem of the jacket at the waistline I probably looked like I was doing some weird exercises trying to look down far enough to see the controller.
Speed limit on the road leading up to that stop sign was 40mph, I was doing 45mph. After the stop sign I was doing 45+mph until I wound over to Illinois S.R. 1 at which point I was riding at roughly 60-65mph southbound to Illinois S.R.17. Continued along at those speeds until the road narrowed from a 4 lane divided rural highway down to a 2 lane rural highway and my speed dropped down to about 55mph with some traffic. Rode along SR17 to the Indiana state line and picked up Indiana S.R.2, riding that to US 41, which is a 4 lane divided rural highway and a speed limit of 60mph. Took US 41 south to the next county and ran at 75mph down to a state fish and game preserve where I pulled off the highway. At this point I was riding for about 45 minutes and the Hotwired jacket kept me very comfortably warm.

• ISSUE - I did notice that the inside of my arms were a bit cool, apparently there is a gap in the arm heating coils? Mind you my arms were not cold, nor were they uncomfortable. I believe if I had a fleece layer over the jacket liner this would be non-issue.
  • ISSUE - on my lower back, both left and right sides, I noticed cool spots. Again, not cold, not uncomfortable, and theses cool spots were lower left & lower right, but not along the spine/central column of my back. I believe that if I had a fleece layer over the jacket liner these 2 cool spots would be non-issues.
If I had worn a fleece layer over the Hotwired jacket I'm sure I'd have ridden with the jacket on the LOW/GREEN setting. I'm guessing that I can comfortably ride down into the 30's with fleece and by adjusting the setting to HIGH/RED on the controller.

Overall I'm thrilled with the Hotwired jacket. Should have bought myself one of these years ago! Hotwired seems to be the LOW COST solution to electrically heated motorcycle gear. Venture, which is very similar, seems to had a couple controller options that I don't see available for Hotwired. Gerbing and others have jackets that cost a bit more, plus they charge for the wiring and the controllers, making those brands roughly 33% higher in price when the wiring and controller costs are factored into the total.
  • NOTE: The factory wire is easily long to run from the battery to a passenger sitting behind me. I left my wire in the Frunk and simply snaked it out of the Frunk to the jacket. There is easily enough wire to run it under the plastics and up and out near the seat if someone would prefer to install it in that manner. I choose to simply snake it out fo the Frunk (at least for now).
  • NOTE: I'm glad my wife did not buy the vest instead of the jacket liner. I'm sure my arms would have been uncomfortably cold during my ride.

I've got one of the "Venture Heat" heated jacket liners that was discussed as a virtual clone of your coat upthread. I'd certainly agree with that take on it ... EXCEPT mine came with a battery-powered wireless bluetooth remote that looks like and mimics the controller that hangs down from your jacket's hem. One of these would solve your controller access issues.

I don't recall if this was a standard part of the package or not. It came with a bracket that I might've been able to mount the controller on the handlebars but I just stuck mine inside the map window on my tank bag. It works a treat. Ya might wanna see if you can get one too.

I've got one of the "Venture Heat" heated jacket liners that was discussed as a virtual clone of your coat upthread. I'd certainly agree with that take on it ... EXCEPT mine came with a battery-powered wireless bluetooth remote that looks like and mimics the controller that hangs down from your jacket's hem. One of these would solve your controller access issues.

I don't recall if this was a standard part of the package or not. It came with a bracket that I might've been able to mount the controller on the handlebars but I just stuck mine inside the map window on my tank bag. It works a treat. Ya might wanna see if you can get one too.
While Hotwired and Venture jackets seem to be near clones I suspect the Venture has an added wireless receiver that does not exist in the Hotwired brand. This added feature Venture offers can account for the slightly lower price of the Hotwired branded gear, which does not seem to employ wireless functionality.

Even without wireless functionality I am very happy with the Hotwired jacket liner. Supposed to be about 40(F) tomorrow and hoping to get out for another ride, trying it with a fleece layer over the jacket.

I liked that the jacket liner did not feel bulky under my moto jacket. I’m hoping a layer of fleece over the Hotwired jacket liner does not create a bulky feeling.

Last edited:
Sounds like you will get good use out of the Hotwire set-up. Once you get used to heat you'll wonder why it took so long.

Gerbings and others that use infinitely adjustable rheostats for heat control offer something over a basic Low Medium High set up and one has to decide if that is worth the extra cost. Some controllers are wired and some are remote which is another value choice to make. Just having it easily reached for adjustment without weird exercises might be worth having. What's the saying, low price is quickly forgotten while satisfaction is long remembered?

When dry, cotton is a good insulator and tee shirts generally aren't fitted closely to the body. As you ride on into winter you might consider a long-sleeved thin microfiber layer under the jacket that allows more of the heat through to your skin. Counterintuitively, Under Armour HeatGear designed for warm weather works really good under heated clothing and it's sized to be fitted tightly to the torso and arms.

Last edited:
Sounds like you will get good use out of the Hotwire set-up. Once you get used to heat you'll wonder why it took so long.

Gerbings and others that use infinitely adjustable rheostats for heat control offer something over a basic Low Medium High set up and one has to decide if that is worth the extra cost. Some controllers are wired and some are remote which is another value choice to make.

I'm not sure what is meant by "wiring" but Gerbings clothing articles come with a fused wire harness to connect it to the controller. It's not an accessory or additional piece that is needed. The harness is available separately if you want to prepare additional motorcycles for heat or if the original one fails.
I can see an advantage to infinite control, but as this is a gift I'm not turning it down!!! And after only 1 ride I am already wondering why I didn't buy heated gear years ago.

By "wiring" I mean everything you need to operate the jacket is included with the jacket. No need to buy a controller as the controller is included (built in). No need to buy a wire to connect the battery to the controller. No need to buy a wire to connect the jacket to the controller. Various different brands seem to come with some parts, few seem to come with all the parts. So when looking at the total investment to get a Hotwired jacket up and running, it is just the cost of the jacket, which is roughly $220. That investment includes everything you need.

To add a pair of Hotwired pants you need to buy a "Y" adapter separately, in addition to the cost of the pants.

To add a pair of Hotwired gloves, you don't need to add anything other than the gloves.

There is a cost advantage to the Hotwired system. Systems that use an infinite heat controller have an advantage for temperature control. To my mind the ideal system might be the Venture system, which is basically the Hotwired system with the added benefit of a wireless remote, all included in the package at a slightly higher price than the Hotwired system but at a lower cost than some of the others.

BASIC COSTS (using Revzilla as a reference) other options exist:

Hotwired jacket: $219.99​
Total Hotwired cost, including wiring & built in controller: $219.99​
Gerbing jacket: $249.99​
Gerbing Single Temp Controller: $49.99 (Revzilla says this is not included with a jacket)​
Gerbing Battery Harness: $11.99 (Revzilla says this is not included with a jacket)​
Total Gerbing cost, as per Revzilla: $311.97​
FirstGear jacket: $229.95​
FirstGear DUAL Heat Controller: $99.95 (I could not find a Single controller, but I stopped looking)​
Total FirstGear cost, as per Revzilla: $329.90​
Venture jacket: $249.00 (as per Venture's website)​
Total Venture cost, including wiring, built in controller & wireless controller: $249.00​
Gordon's jacket: $329.00 (as per Gordon's website)​
Gordon's controller: $99​
I'm unclear on if the wires are included.​
Total Gordon's cost: $428.00​

California Heat jacket: $220 (as per The Warming Store website)​
California single controller: $60.00​
California battery harness: $12.00​
Total California Heat cost: $292.00​
Warm & Safe jacket: $279 (newest version, as per The Warming Store website)​
Warm & Safe single controller: $69.95, includes wiring harness to battery​
Total Warm & Safe cost: $349.95​

Now as I don't own the FirstGear or the Gerbing systems, and as I am relying on the Revzilla website, it is possible that something is included that Revzilla says must be purchased separately. If the Battery harness is not needed for the Gerbing that would lower the cost by $11.99. The FirstGear controller comes with wires to connect the controller to the battery as well as wires to connect the controller to the jacket. Other brand information relies on their respective websites.

Last edited:
Melensdad, you are correct and I edited my post above. Gerbing does not include the battery harness with the controller and you have to pony up for it. They used to however and that also explains my use of Gerbings vs the current brand name of Gerbing. When I bought my jacket it was still the original company created by Gordon Gerbing and my own gear is original and name branded Gerbings - not Gerbing. The family sold the company about 15 years ago and Gordon had to wait out a non-compete to start a new company - Gordon's Heated Clothing.

Last edited:
EDITED my above post to include several other brands of heated jackets.

Clearly some may be more durable than others, some may have advantages over others in different ways. I've no experience and am not judging them or ranking them in any way. Just wanted to lay out the costs.

39(F) when I left the garage this morning. I was so hot from going up and down the stairs and getting stuff ready while mostly geared up that I forgot to turn on the Hotwired jacket. Got about a mile from the house and came to the first stop sign, turned on the jacket to the GREEN/LOW setting. Rode another couple miles and decided to go up to the YELLOW/MID setting. Unfortunately I ended up on the RED/HIGH setting without realizing it and rode for the next 2 hours with it on the RED/HIGH setting.

I can definitely see the advantage to a remote control, like the VENTURE jacket includes to mount on the bars.

Ride was good, mostly in the 50 to 60mph speed range, mostly on 2 lane rural highways but some 4 lane divided rural highways.

Got off the roadway and onto some gravel in a fish and game preserve.

While at speed the temperature of my body was comfortable but on the warm side of comfortable. Came to a stoplight that does has a magnetic sensor and it doesn't recognize the motorcycle. Typically I just wait until nobody is around and make my left turn. Today I pulled up, lots of traffic, waited through the light. Next cycle comes around and a police office pulls into the intersection, blocks traffic and allows a funeral procession to go through so now I'm sitting at this light for what I believe is 4 cycles and I'm honestly getting pretty darn hot. Now I really see the advantage of a remote control.

42(F) when I got back home.

All in all I'm really happy with the electric jacket.

FWIW:
  • Pants were Klim armored over-pants over a pair of blue jeans. Legs were comfortable.
  • Gloves were Rev'it Bastile, hands were comfortable. I do not have bark busters or similar.
  • Upper body was FirstGear Kilimanjaro over the Hotwired liner, over a dress shirt.
  • Neck was covered with a neck tube/gaiter.

Back