• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

How do you adjust the gear lever angle???

discohospital

Reaction score
Visit site
Anyone know how to adjust the angle of the gear shift lever. Had a seal replaced by honda and when they re-assembled the gear lever, it's now higher than it used to be, making it difficult to upshift.

Loosen the rod lock nuts (#14 and #17), turn the rod until the lever is at the desired position. (This most times solves the problem) If the shift arm was put in a different spline position, take out bolt #11, bull the arm gear shift and reposition it on the spline.

Lever.jpg

Thanks for your advice. I was probably going to end up removing the lever itself :S If I have to remove the arm to reposition on a different spline, do i need to completely remove the rod from the linkage in order to do this?

I think I remember this correctly from removing the sprocket cover.......... Honda put a tiny punch mark on the outside face of the splined shaft which sticks out of the transmission/engine. This mark is for lining up the lever #3 at the correct angle. You will remove pinch bolt #11 then slide the lever off and back on the spline so the gap of #3 lines up with the punch mark. That is the default or factory setting of the lever to the spline. Then the lever will be where you remember it to be. If the mark is off to one side then loosen the pinch bolt and realign the lever to the splined shaft. Check that first - it's easy to see if the lever is on wrong. If you loosen 14 and 17 lock nuts first then have to realign the lever you'll have to adjust 14 and 17 to get the link rod length correct.

Edit to add: No, you do not have to remove the toe shifter and the linkage assembly. 14 will come off the shaft w/o having to remove anything else.

Last edited:
Undoing the pinch bolt and the arm just pops off the spline. It was exactly as you described (punchmark to one side of the split) I've moved it back to where it should be and it's just as i remember. Thanks to you both. Just one more thing, should I have to make any adjustment to the link rod or leave that as it is?

The link rod is for making small adjustments to make it fit you. If I am using motorcycle riding boots with big toe, I have to adjust to another position, than if I am wearing tennis shoes. Just a matter of how you like it to feel.

anyone know the size and thread of the pinch bolt? Mine came out today. Need another. I know it's a 10mm head. Might just go trial and error it at the hardware store. thanks

Loosen the rod lock nuts (#14 and #17), turn the rod until the lever is at the desired position. (This most times solves the problem) If the shift arm was put in a different spline position, take out bolt #11, bull the arm gear shift and reposition it on the spline.

View attachment 10441
Does the transmission need to be in gear, in neutral or doesn’t it matter?

Back