• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

How do you stay hydrated on long rides?

Just a word to the wise...can't be sure why this happened but it could have been a bump or speed but I once had a large cup of orange juice jump out of the holder, hang in the air for a split second then hit me in the visor opening and soaked my face and the inside of my helmet...very cold and sticky. I had just entered I-90 East bound and had a number of miles to go to get to the next exit. Just a work to the wise.

My wife and I have always been short distance/local riders.

Commute to a point. Ride to a restaurant. Short pleasure rides of a couple hours.

We are both now retired and have far more time so we have been stretching out to all day rides and plan a long distance trip. The new riding style brings some different challenges. Like thirst on the road.

For long rides do you wear a hydration pack? Slip a bladder into your riding gear and snake a sip tube? We’ve been carrying bottles in the Frunk but that is less than convenient.

Ideas? Thoughts for sipping while riding on an NC7..x

Bottle of water in the tank bag.

Decided to mount my old tank bag and add a pressurized Aquamira hydration bladder. Can’t wear a hydration pack without back problems so this did the trick. This bladder is A#1. No more struggling to suck in water. Can also purge the hot water out, spray water on face, squirt your buddy, etc. Still easy to get in Frunk, just a couple buckles to undo.

DDC41513-BCC3-410C-9732-F81C31B7C052.jpeg

6385F426-C14A-43CE-BB54-7C01FC4F9FB1.jpeg

Anyone use / have a cup holder mounted to their handlebars? . If so, what brand?.
I'm considering this setup with a water bottle within.......insulated of course. TIA
I read a report about a guy riding with friends who fumbled a drinking bottle while trying to put it into a handlebar mounted cup holder. It fell into the gap between the forks and the frame mounted fairing. This jammed the steering on one side and before he could stop he was off the road and it ended very badly.

Decided to mount my old tank bag and add a pressurized Aquamira hydration bladder. Can’t wear a hydration pack without back problems so this did the trick. This bladder is A#1. No more struggling to suck in water. Can also purge the hot water out, spray water on face, squirt your buddy, etc. Still easy to get in Frunk, just a couple buckles to undo.

View attachment 44670

View attachment 44671

Haha, YouTube restricted my video to ‘over 18’. I have filed an appeal and hope to have restriction removed, otherwise just watch it in YouTube.

Coffee dehydrates
Well, kind of but not really, depending on some things.

Healthline.com writes:
For caffeine to have a significant diuretic effect, studies show that you need to consume more than 500 mg per day — or the equivalent of 5 cups (40 ounces or 1.2 liters) of brewed coffee.

A study in 10 casual coffee drinkers reviewed the impact of drinking 6.8 ounces (200 ml) of water, lower caffeine coffee (269 mg of caffeine), and high caffeine coffee (537 mg of caffeine) on signs of dehydration.

Researchers observed that drinking the higher caffeine coffee had a short-term diuretic effect, whereas the lower caffeine coffee and water were both hydrating.

In addition, other studies show that moderate coffee intake is as hydrating as drinking water.
And goes on to say:
For example, a study in 50 heavy coffee drinkers noted that drinking 26.5 ounces (800 ml) of coffee daily for 3 days was equally as hydrating as drinking the same amount of water.

Also, an analysis of 16 studies discovered that taking 300 mg of caffeine in a single sitting — equivalent to 3 cups (710 ml) of brewed coffee — increased urine production by only 3.7 ounces (109 ml), compared with drinking the same amount of non-caffeinated beverages.

Unless you're pounding a carafe of coffee or chugging espresso, you're likely not dehydrating yourself with a good cuppa. It's not a bad idea to also drink water, if nothing else to neutralize the acidity of the coffee (for dental health) and enhance the hydration of your rest stop.

Source:

Here's an interesting paper on the diuretic topic (this is just the abstract. Click to get the paper, which is in French. Google translate does a good job):

Back