• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

How do you stop your NC!?

NCX doesn't have very powerful front brake. I normally use only front brake but I now have to use both front and back brake.

I also use engine braking 6,5,4,3,2 to help slowing down the bike.

You need to get that bike checked out if your front isn't very good. Mine will lock the front tire up easy!

I am a front braker. I normally use only the front brake, unless I am throwing out the anchor to avoid an issue. I generally do not engine brake. I was taught and teach the engine makes the bike go, not stop. The engine is not a brake. Downshifting puts the bike in a lower gear as you slow with the brakes. Our transmissions downshift better when the transmission gears are rotating. Downshifting also puts the bike in a proper gear in case things change and you have to start forward progress again. Trying to start forward from 25 when you are in 6th gear is difficult at best.

+1 for me on this, I seldom use the rear brake, I use about a 85/15 split between the front & rear brakes.

I have been under the impression that Honda has engineered this brake system so that you will have some braking applied to both ends regardless of whether you apply the front or the rear brake control. When you grab the front brake you will get some rear braking along with it and visa versa. I believe they have some marketing name applied to this concept.

That would be linked brakes dzk, my Goldwing has them, but only certain NCX's have linked brakes. The US NCX six speed doesn't have linked brakes.

I have the DCT w/combined ABS and have found that I rarely need the brakes heading into traffic lights as the tranny starts to downshift as soon as I let off the throttle. I make it a habit of always tapping my rears so that people know I am slowing.

On a hard stop I initiate braking with the rear first and then almost simultaneously apply the front brake. On a normal braking I try to do the same but not always...

I drag my feet.....................

feet-dragging-motorcycle-stunt.jpg

Stylin'!

Chicks love it.

I use both brakes, normally 99% front, and just rest my foort on the rear brake. In emergency, with abs, I can just slam the brakes. With being disc brakes all around, pads are easy to replace!
The presence of ABS should not change braking habits which are ingrained by practice, practice, practice. In an emergency we have to rely on muscle memory to initiate and execute a largely automated program that resides deep in our brain. The "ONE TWO squeeze" method of gradually increasing squeeze pressure on the front brake lever allows sufficient time for weight transfer to take place and really mash the front tire down into the pavement - increasing contact patch area and increasing friction coefficent to maximum. If we grab 100% of front brake immediately, "slam the brake", there is not enough time for weight transfer to load up the front tire contact patch so the tire begins to skid thus activating the ABS which releases brake pressure just when we need to build maximum braking force. Of course the ABS cycles continously and some braking does occur almost immediately but we lost that important 1/2 to 3/4 second for weight transfer that drastically shortens stopping distance. It is important to squeeze the front brake lever gradually to maximum pressure no matter if brakes are ABS or non-ABS.

Drills to practice threshold braking and ingrain the ONE TWO squeeze habit deep into the subconscious are easy and quick to do. Pick an empty parking lot and drill stopping at maximum effort short of lock up (or initiation of ABS) from 30 mph to zero for a thirty minutes. After that practice threshold braking from 30 mph to zero every single ride on all sorts of pavement at least one time that ride. Once a month or so do the 30 minute drill again. While a true panic stop cannot be practiced we do learn in drills to feel what it is like to hear and feel the front wheel at maximum braking effort. ABS removes the fear of lock up but should not change braking technique.

Like OriginalRocket I use at least 90% front brake and a little rear brake to normally come to a full stop. The front brake mostly slows or stops the bike, the rear brake is for control. This is more important when setting entry speed into a corner and we are not coming to a stop. Use of rear brake with the front settles the suspension and eases the transition from upright into the lean. When stopping completely trailing a little rear brake to zero mph with no front brake the last 5 mph or so helps us keep the bars square at the last moment or if we are turning the last few feet use of rear brake and no front keeps the radius of the turn from tightening. This is parking lot speed work.

That flutter is the ABS system, working normally. I believe you should develop the habit of using both front and rear brakes simultaneously and a lot of the fluttering will go away.

(OH sh??t STOP) Roll off accelerator. Apply both brakes smoothly, keep squeezing until you stop.
Stop the bike at stop sign/lights. Roll off accelerator apply both brakes clutch in click click click down to first gear foot down.
Slow down to turn corner. Roll off both brakes clutch in gear down clutch out 1 gear at a time, off the brakes, drive smoothly around the corner.(might change down 1 gear might change down 5 gears).
Bottom line is that I use BOTH brakes gently and smoothly together. (100% braking effort). Front brake only (90% braking effort). rear brake (10% braking effort) If you are not using both brakes you are not getting 100% braking effort from your bike! 90/10 round figures not exact figures!
As previously mentioned, brake pads are far cheaper to repair/replace than engine/gearbox.
C-ABS. (HONDA. Combined advanced brake system). If you apply rear brake pedal, apply's rear brake and a little front brake (with brake modulators and monitors wheel lock with senors etc). Front brake applies front brake only.
Our Honda Down under I believe is NC700SA. comes standard with Combined brakes, and ABS. I have never been a fan of LINKED/Combined brakes but i have never had any problem with them! All appears to work well.

When it come to ABS I use a method I picked up when I was racing ATV's. I just use two or three fingers to brake with. I find out how many fingers it takes to lock the front tire and just train my brain to use one less. I raced for many years so this is a reflex action for me. Might not work for everybody

Back