• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Question How far did you go on reserve?

Twincam

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
What is the longest distance you covered with the fuel gauge flashing and the reserve trip meter flashing?

I'm asking because this week end I went 30km (18.6 miles) and was only able to put 12 liters of fuel (3.17 gallons) when refuelling. The specs tells a capacity of 14.1 liters (3.72 gal).

So I am guesstimating I could have gone at least another 30-40 km (20 miles).

Anyone who ever ran until the bike shuts down? What was your range?

Thanks!

How far you can go on reserve depends on your gas mileage. I know I can always go at least 50 miles once the low fuel warning starts flashing, so I plan on fueling up at or before the 50 mile mark. Proximity of fuel stations also determines how long I’ll run on reserve.

I have twice done hyper-miling runs to maximize fuel economy as an experiment, and had gotten to 300 miles on a tank. Both times it took 3.55 gallons to refill the tank.

I wouldn't test my reserve capacity.
Just like automotive electric fuel pumps sitting in the well of the fuel tank, the NC pump is designed to be cooled by the surrounding fuel.
Running the tank to almost dry guarantees the pump will not be adequately cooled once the low fuel warning comes on.
Electric motors do not like heat, and running the tank almost dry will guarantee the fuel pump will run too hot.
It's not a big deal if it happens very occasionally, but to do it unnecessarily is putting a stress on the fuel pump.
Just Google running a gas tank down close to empty.
In fact, I'll do it for everyone:

Just like automotive electric fuel pumps sitting in the well of the fuel tank, the NC pump is designed to be cooled by the surrounding fuel.
Running the tank to almost dry guarantees the pump will not be adequately cooled once the low fuel warning comes on.
Electric motors do not like heat, and running the tank almost dry will guarantee the fuel pump will run too hot.
It's not a big deal if it happens very occasionally, but to do it unnecessarily is putting a stress on the fuel pump.

Good advice Bigbird. I know it is not the best scenario.
I am planning a trip that has a strecth of almost 230 miles of no man's land. (370 km). I am curious to see if I will make it without extra fuel. I would prefer not to bring extra fuel on the back rack.

I am planning a trip that has a strecth of almost 230 miles of no man's land. (370 km). I am curious to see if I will make it without extra fuel. I would prefer not to bring extra fuel on the back rack.
In my experience, it is always better to take a 5L jug of fuel along than to stress about fuel consumption.
You can't plan a trip expecting to have no headwind or encounter traffic conditions that may require more fuel consumption.
If you're concerned about the danger of carrying outboard fuel, Rotopax makes a very safe and secure (but also expensive) solution.

I call this BS and a carry over from the old days. I don't recall seeing any evidence that "the NC pump is designed to be cooled by the surrounding fuel".

If this ever was a problem, fuel pump engineers have had decades to improve pump design to eliminate failure due to low fuel level. I run my NC low on fuel regularly without worries.

Take along a Fuel Bladder.

I call this BS and a carry over from the old days. I don't recall seeing any evidence that "the NC pump is designed to be cooled by the surrounding fuel".

If this ever was a problem, fuel pump engineers have had decades to improve pump design to eliminate failure due to low fuel level. I run my NC low on fuel regularly without worries.
So I guess Consumer Reports is full of shit as you suggest.

Call it what you want but talk to any mechanic who works on modern cars and you may change your attitude.

We aren’t talking about cars. Twincam has a motorcycle.

So I guess Consumer Reports is full of shit as you suggest.
I did not suggest it using that language, no.

CR lost credibility with me when in that 10 year old article regarding low fuel level, they used this sentence, “Also, if there is dirt in the fuel tank, it could lead to blocking the fuel filter; again, another expensive repair.” Why is dirt in the fuel a problem because the fuel level is low? It would have to be floating dirt, and it would seem odd for dirt to float on top of gasoline. For dirt that sinks, well, the fuel pump always sucks the fuel from the bottom of the tank regardless of the fuel level. The dirt would probably have been sucked up long ago.

Unless they started it recently, I was not aware that Consumer Reports tested motorcycles.

Lastly, despite all the advice and warnings Honda provides on stickers and in the owners’s manual, I don’t recall any recommendation to keep the fuel level above 1/4 tank, or any other minimum level. I checked my manual again, and if I overlooked it, let me know.

Your success in making the 230 mile stretch would depend on fuel economy, which will depend greatly on your vehicle speed and the wind speed/direction. In this case, I would probably bring along extra fuel. A Rotopax tank is a good way, but even one or two 30-ounce MSR fuel bottles would be easy to carry.

If I knew I could go the 230 miles without a headwind, and at a moderate speed of maybe 55 mph or less, I would be fairly confident the bike would make it, but why chance it?

They meant well I'm sure.

My anecdotal evidence refuting this urban myth was raising teenagers that drove their used Accord, used Civic and a used CR-V well over 200,000 miles each while putting in no more than $5 or $10 of gas at a time. Their gas tanks were rarely ever full and usually hovering on E or flickering the low fuel light, at least when I got in their car for some reason.

My own uninformed opinion is that as long as gas is pumping through the pump there is sufficient cooling. If Honda and other manufacturers thought they needed to warn owners of the risks of running below a certain amount of fuel they would have prominent warnings. They do for everything else. It's too easy for the NHTSA to slap a recall on vehicles with fuel systems that risk engines stopping without warning. Ask BMW.

To the OP, I know the average mileage my bikes get at certain speeds and I know the low fuel light comes on between .7 and 1.0 gallons remaining and plan accordingly on the use of 0.5 gallon. I will ride on reserve 30 to 45 miles pretty comfortably.

I was going to test that the other day but got distracted when the station only 2 miles from where I went on reserve had gas 7 cents a gallon lower than the one closest to my house 20 miles away. I saved a whole 20 cents or so lol. I'll test it again another day.

Consumer Reports does not test motorcycles. They poll owners concerning repairs and brand satisfaction. All owners from a** jewelry collectors to IBA die hards. How more subjective and useless could they make it?

I ride a mix of highway, city and backroads to work every day. I filled up 3 gallons on just over 200 miles. I think you could make 230 if you had to, but it would be tight. Ride around 60 on flat and you’re fine. Hills and higher speed will obviously change that.

Google is your friend.

This looks like the results of a survey taken from Consumer Reports subscribers. That would hardly qualify as motorcycle testing.

Sorry, we are getting off topic here. The topic is the range of the NC when it reaches “reserve.”

Sorry about that rabbit hole TwinCam, so back to our topic. I have/do have a tendency to run mine for quite a while on reserve. I have only one time ran it nearly out of fuel as it felt like it was starting to sputter as i rode into the station parking lot. When i topped it off i looked back at the pump and it read 3.71 gals! I even took a picture of the pump reading! I later found a picture of my previous amount at 3.5gals. So, yes i do have a habit of running it pretty low, though i do not typically do that when i travel, just sayin'!
:{P

IMG_5291.JPG

Last edited:
. . . I think you could make 230 if you had to, but it would be tight. Ride around 60 on flat and you’re fine. Hills and higher speed will obviously change that.
Seriously I believe this is bad advice. And I'm offering my OPINION in the most respectful way.

Perhaps on a totally stock NC750 in ideal riding conditions 230 would be theoretically possible.

But, and I am making some assumptions based on this statement from Twincam:

One would assume from the "planning a trip" statement that there might be a bit of extra weight on the bike in the form of extra clothing, overnight essentials, etc. Worse yet would be side bags/hard cases and/or a top box, which would add more weight plus wind resistance and drag. Perhaps even an aftermarket windscreen that might increase drag. All factors that will reduce fuel economy.

Perhaps not legal in most of North America, but 2-liter pop/water bottles are often utilized as fuel containers in 3rd world nations. If someone was unwilling to invest in a fuel bladder or a couple MSR canisters, then perhaps an alternative container might be considered desirable. Me, I'd be carrying my Desert Fox 5 liter fuel bladder on that trip 230 mile trip through "no man's land" but as they say, your mileage may vary.

For me Consumer Reports lost their credibility when I learned about what they did to the Suzuki Samurai aka the Jimny in other markets.

A son of an executive got in a rollover accident and so CR went to great lengths to 'prove' that the Samurai was 'unsafe'. They modified their course, and tried 55 times to obtain footage to back up their claim.

Back