• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

How Long will NC700X last?

If it is like any other Honda (car or bike) if you take care of it and follow the maint schedule, they will run forever. This is barring any user error or screw-up.

Pretty sweet to see it, though.

I would expect big mileage from this motorcycle, especially the Japanese made originals.;) I expect to keep mine (made in Japan) for a very long time. It has a very under stressed motor. I was in fact very surprised when OCR needed a new clutch when He did. Kharli is at around 40,000 miles on his bike and no oil usage with the original clutch.

last forever? I don't know... bending keys, clocks losing miles, bad frunk lock...

It's nice to see that the bike I plan on keeping for many years is capable of big miles. :)

One thing to remember: To have put that kind of mileage on since 2012, he has been on the highway a lot, and that is the easiest way of life for any vehicle. Still good to know that the whole drivetrain is up to the challenge.

Any motorcycle will last as long as you keep fixing what goes wrong. I put over 500,000 miles on my 1978 Honda Goldwing. The problem comes when you can no longer find parts for the motorcycle. On my 1978 Goldwing the rear engine seal is no longer being produced, no one has old stock, and the ones I can find in the junk yard have rotten rubber. That bike is shaft drive and that seal seems to go out about every 200,000 miles.

Yep, plenty of late '70s and '80s Japanese motorcycles are still alive today. Most NC700 owners will get bored and sell long before it wears out. Some of us have already succumbed to temptation by the Next Big Thing and bailed out.

Just like a cars, bikes will last as long as it's still cost effective to fix, given that you are still willing to spend the money. For cars, it's not unusual to start having small to medium size repairs after 100K or 7-8 years. Various parts are designed to last a certain time/cycles/distance. After that threshold is past, parts tend to start failing, and usually in waves. Sooner or later, it will stop making sense to replace the transmission or head gasket on a car that's only worth $3500.

I wonder how much durability engineers build into motorcycles. What is the threshold for different types of bikes? I would think a lot longer for Goldwing than a CBRxxxRR.

Personally, I'd be super happy if the NC can give me 7 years and 100K miles.

One comment in the 1 page writeup in Motorcyclist mag of a possible supercharged NC in sport bike clothing is, 'doubling the power is unlikely to strain the current 50 hp engine'.

But I'm sure a 100 hp NC engine would have a few beefier internal parts, while externally would look the same. I'm just hoping to see the 750 DCT in the USA for 2016. I doubt Honda is building any more 700s.

As far a durability is concerned, I remember seeing a few dozen rejected crankshafts at the Honda Ohio Ana Engine Plant. That is why Honda engines last forever, the crankshafts have perfect balance at the start of an engine build.

Last edited:
Just like a cars, bikes will last as long as it's still cost effective to fix, given that you are still willing to spend the money. For cars, it's not unusual to start having small to medium size repairs after 100K or 7-8 years. Various parts are designed to last a certain time/cycles/distance. After that threshold is past, parts tend to start failing, and usually in waves. Sooner or later, it will stop making sense to replace the transmission or head gasket on a car that's only worth $3500.

I wonder how much durability engineers build into motorcycles. What is the threshold for different types of bikes? I would think a lot longer for Goldwing than a CBRxxxRR.

Personally, I'd be super happy if the NC can give me 7 years and 100K miles.
Cars last longer than they used to. My 10 year old Honda truck has 316,000 miles. Major repairs are: replaced catalytic converter starting to plug, valve cover gasket, driver window motor and temperature control switch. I do follow Honda maintenance schedule. Expect to continue driving it a long time yet.

Trucks are built and designed to handle more weight and strain. If it lives an easy life, it can handle a lot more miles than a passenger car. So I can't say I am surprised that your truck keeps humming along at 300+K miles. My wife bought a brand new '95 Altima when she started college. By the time we got rid of it in 2012, it had 225K miles, on its third alternator and was getting 20-22 mpg. I wouldn't say it's the norm but it certain wasn't exception to the rule either.

But I do have faith in Honda engineering and the NC700X. :)

Look at how long the Honda shadow has been around.I think mother Honda knows what they are doing. The nm4 was a brain fart.

I'm just hoping to see the 750 DCT in the USA for 2016. I doubt Honda is building any more 700s.

They are building 700's "every day" for the 2015 model year. They did NOT build a pile of 700's and stock pile them. Each year has its production run and are built for that model year. It is simple to confirm this by looking at the DOT sticker it has the production date on it. The MSO also clearly states the year.
Nobody knows if the U.S. market will ever get the 750.......time will tell........the 50cc increase certainly has a long history with other models in the US. So far it is clear Honda is resisting any large price increases.

Many many years back ( 1960's) motorcycles were titled in the year sold not the year built........that does not happen in the modern day.

Cars last longer than they used to. My 10 year old Honda truck has 316,000 miles. Major repairs are: replaced catalytic converter starting to plug, valve cover gasket, driver window motor and temperature control switch. I do follow Honda maintenance schedule. Expect to continue driving it a long time yet.

I forgot; You have a Ridgeline, don't you? I do, too!

I was thinking the other day that it would be nice (and kinda cool) to get 100k miles out of my NCX. I'm only a quarter of the way there yet. :)

Back