• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

How low can an NC be lowered?

TacomaJD,

For a second there, as she rounded the corner, I thought she was going to use your shelter door as a ramp!!!

Slo_Rider
The boy has already mentioned that he is going to be able to jump the storm shelter one day....I reminded him that he doesn't even know what 4th gear feels like yet. LOL. They both love the dirtbike, if I had a seat on the NC I'd ride around the yard with them, but seat is still at upholsterer waiting on Seat Concepts install.

I don't know why I didn't think of this before, but I may buy a Grom for her to learn on and lower it. That would be perfect, light weight, clutch, 4 speed, streetable, cheap, fun. Found a few on Craigslist for under $2k. Then can sell it when she moves on to the Bolt. Still pondering this option.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Enter the training bike for the wife. Undecided if we are going to sell the Bolt, but picked up this mint and modified unit already lowered for $2400. 2018 with only 1400 miles. Head ported, air/fuel controller, carbon Yoshi, swingarm extensions and lowering kit. Best deal on Craigslist. Lol

Front is sucked down by straps, it sits higher than this.

ee55bc3403520cb3f18a8cbbb2febac3.jpg

a03a6ad395859acfb9e2b6a00ac45f92.jpg

Love that color. Wish the NC came that way.

You need to buy her proper riding gear, not just the helmet. One simple tip-over in a parking lot can do a fair amount of damage. And have you enrolled her in a riding class?

You need to buy her proper riding gear, not just the helmet. One simple tip-over in a parking lot can do a fair amount of damage. And have you enrolled her in a riding class?
I am going to stop posting about her progress because I don't want to read about what I "need" to do after every post. She probably will not be taking riders course, people are perfectly capable of learning to ride every day without it. I know a crap ton of people that ride and don't know a single person that has ever taken it. She has a good teacher and is listening and learning much better than I imagined.

She also has proper gear, textile armored jacket and riding gloves, as she has ridden with me for the past 5 years. It was just hot as hell outside and judging by her progress on the dirtbike in the yard, I could tell she would be ok riding without jacket and gloves starting out putting around the parking lot. The first hour I didn't let her get out of first gear, then told her to grab second and she done fine, but still never got over 10-12 mph and I knew she was good enough already to not dump it at that speed. It's not like I turned her loose and told her to have at it. We practiced using the clutch and using both the front and rear brake together in a straight line so she could get the feel for starting and stopping, and not dump it. Trust me, she will wear proper gear ALL the time when she moves up to faster pace and then onto the road.

Anyways, thanks for all the insight. Truly not trying to be a dick, but this isn't my first rodeo.

The GROM looks like a lot of fun.

I had my wife's NC700x in the shop on Friday for a quick adjustment and was looking at the GROMs they had on the show floor. One of the guys told me they are selling like crazy. I don't see a practical use for them other than to take out for a lot of fun.

The GROM looks like a lot of fun.

I had my wife's NC700x in the shop on Friday for a quick adjustment and was looking at the GROMs they had on the show floor. One of the guys told me they are selling like crazy. I don't see a practical use for them other than to take out for a lot of fun.
I can barely ride it and it's sketchy the way I have to shift it with my leg. I pretty much have to sit on the back of the seat bc I can't bend my left knee past 90°. So it won't be any fun for me. Lol....BUT.....if I had my oem leg back, it would be game on!

Watch this video of a grom and z125 tearing up deals gap. So awesome.

YouTube

Some stills from the vid.

e49c0bb90c8f573c5620a1e8b358413c.jpg

2ac3b315bd29d5943c3ec5424a11a90f.jpg

Like I said, they look like they are a blast to ride. Hope your wife has fun with it.

I love that my wife has her own bike and we ride together but we each get to ride our own rides. We do have Cardo Packtalk Slim units on our helmets so we can talk back and forth. Sometimes that is interesting as she yells when she hits bit bumps! You may want to get a communication set for talking.

I'd recommend un-lowering and un-stretching the Grom. I imagine the seat height is low enough to flat foot at stock height, and it'll handle a lot better.

I'd recommend un-lowering and un-stretching the Grom. I imagine the seat height is low enough to flat foot at stock height, and it'll handle a lot better.

She sat on a stock one at the honda shop, could not touch at all. Already being stretched and lowered was one of the main reasons we got this one, as it was ready to go for her. You have to stretch them in order to lower it beyond 2.5". Stock seat height on these things is 30", only 3" less than our NC's. For comparison, her Bolt's seat height is 27.2" but its a little wider which makes it a bit harder to touch. Gonna put a 1.5" lowering kit on her Bolt when Low and Mean gets their machine shop drama under control and gets more brackets in stock. Guy said the Grom had a 3" lowering kit on it but I think he may be mistaken and it has the 4.5" kit on it, could be wrong though. Either way it is perfect for her to learn on and I have already noticed the undercarriage's proximity to the ground, especially with me on it LOL, so when she gets ready for the road, we wont be riding very fast or on bumpy roads. She's still got a lot more parking lot riding to do first.

Also a longer wheelbase provides for more stability, less quick to turn in. Which is fine for her learning.

Last edited:
Also gonna go back to the drawing board on the 300cc sportbikes and research lowering them some more. I really wish she could ride one of them, but they have 30"-ish seat height too. But if we could safely get one low enough, it would much easier to handle and manipulate than the Bolt.

Honda seems to have a target seat height of 30-31 inches, even for small machines. Even a Metropolitan scooter has a seat a bit too tall for my wife. I find it frustrating looking for a bike hit a short legged rider. Cruisers would work but I’m not into the feet forward riding style.

Honda seems to have a target seat height of 30-31 inches, even for small machines. Even a Metropolitan scooter has a seat a bit too tall for my wife. I find it frustrating looking for a bike hit a short legged rider. Cruisers would work but I’m not into the feet forward riding style.
The bolt foot pegs are kinda neutral, not really out forward, but not tucked back either. Perfect for short legged riders, which I guess one with short legs on Bolt pegs ends up being feet forward due to short leggedness. Lol.

b7f1c094eaab9c9bab11d248cec81aa5.jpg

Also, we might keep the Grom for the boy no more than we got in it. Just depends. She has something to ride and practice on now and the boy has the dirtbike, so both will be occupied for a while with those.

f7ec9fadb2ab5145f0b80df067373770.jpg

Back