• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

How much chain noise is normal?

Duke

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys, new forum member here. Apologies if I posted this to the wrong spot; I'm still learning my way around.

I recently purchased a 2014 NC700X with a very, very loose chain. It was already beyond the rear of the indicator with about three inches of slack. I made it my top priority to replace it as soon as possible, which was this morning. From forum advice, I got a DID 520VX3 and a new set of sprockets front and rear.

The problem I'm encountering now is one of chain noise. The new chain and sprocket setup is a lot louder than it was before. This includes while riding or just by spinning it manually while it's on the center stand.

My question is this: How much chain noise is normal? The sound, as far as I can tell, is simply of the links grabbing onto the front sprocket. I was thinking maybe it was out of alignment; I went first by the notches on the tensioner things, but when I attached a Motion Pro alignment tool, it was well out of line. Now I've got it all lined up based on the tool, but there's a difference of one full notch on the tensioners.

Also, the chain seems to sort of undulate left-to-right while spinning. I'm not sure if that's normal or not. I don't think the rear sprocket is warped; it appears to be perfectly flat and I tightened all the bolts down in a star pattern (like on a drum) to the required torque so that it'd be seated properly.

I'm hoping I'm just being paranoid here, but I want to make sure the job is done right. How much should a new chain sing? Worth mentioning is that I haven't lubed it yet, I only rode it around the cul-de-sac to make sure everything felt right before I lubed it up and replaced the sprocket cover and chain guard.

I can post a short video of the noise and motion if that would help.

When my chain sings, it's too tight. Properly adjusted, I don't hear the chain while riding. As long as your new chain doesn't sing and whine, it's probably fine.

Every new chain I've put on the NCX and the CBR has been louder than the take-off chain, in the particular way I believe you're describing. Like 670, I've been able to quiet them by loosening them. However, I have generally had to go to the slack (loose) limit _or a bit beyond_ in order to make them fully quiet.

If you've put a new chain on, you should be able to lift up on the bottom of the chain and it get awfully close to touching the swingarm, at least 1-1.5" of deflection. A looser chain is better than a tighter chain. Don't worry about noise as long as the rear wheel is aligned properly and the proper amount of slack is obtained, and it's lubed....but a new chain should not need lubing for a little while.

The O rings or X rings will be a bit tight for a bit.......it'll settle down once the chain is "seated / broke-in". New chain will not need additional lube. If it's moving left to right or what have you , perhaps recheck alignment. Maybe the factory index marks are correct......mine are ; but I understand you concern or confusion per se.

You guys rock. Thanks for all the replies. Going from Tacoma's post, I think I'll let the slack out a bit more. It seems to ride fine (way better than before technically) but still just seems a bit tight. The lack of a high-pitched singing chain also seems to have uncovered a sort of groaning noise, maybe that has something to do with how tight it is. Or maybe that's just a normal noise I could never hear before.

I'm definitely happy with the alignment; I fiddled with it for a very long time. So I guess as long as I'm not running it over-tight, things will be groovy.

I am having the same issue. I bought a used NC with 3K miles and by the time I hit 8K miles. I replaced my chain, sprockets with DID VX3 chain. About 3,000 miles in, I feel like it's making that droning noise. I gotten the chain tightened as it was too loose, maybe 45-50 mm slack. Now its around 35 mm. Again, some parts of the chain way tighter/looser than other parts. (I know this issue was mentioned for other users) I have not seen that in other bikes.

Only cleaned it once after 3000 miles, as I just installed my center stand. I have a loud exhaust (Danmoto) , yet the chain can be heard, in acceleration, neutral, and downshifting.... hoping it's not a safety concern. I suspected the links making noise.

Hey guys, new forum member here. Apologies if I posted this to the wrong spot; I'm still learning my way around.

I recently purchased a 2014 NC700X with a very, very loose chain. It was already beyond the rear of the indicator with about three inches of slack. I made it my top priority to replace it as soon as possible, which was this morning. From forum advice, I got a DID 520VX3 and a new set of sprockets front and rear.

The problem I'm encountering now is one of chain noise. The new chain and sprocket setup is a lot louder than it was before. This includes while riding or just by spinning it manually while it's on the center stand.

My question is this: How much chain noise is normal? The sound, as far as I can tell, is simply of the links grabbing onto the front sprocket. I was thinking maybe it was out of alignment; I went first by the notches on the tensioner things, but when I attached a Motion Pro alignment tool, it was well out of line. Now I've got it all lined up based on the tool, but there's a difference of one full notch on the tensioners.

Also, the chain seems to sort of undulate left-to-right while spinning. I'm not sure if that's normal or not. I don't think the rear sprocket is warped; it appears to be perfectly flat and I tightened all the bolts down in a star pattern (like on a drum) to the required torque so that it'd be seated properly.

I'm hoping I'm just being paranoid here, but I want to make sure the job is done right. How much should a new chain sing? Worth mentioning is that I haven't lubed it yet, I only rode it around the cul-de-sac to make sure everything felt right before I lubed it up and replaced the sprocket cover and chain guard.

I can post a short video of the noise and motion if that would help.

Did you check the alignmet? I check my slack at four points based on the valve stem(top, bottom, left right) to get a range. Do you know what the top and bottom ranges are?

Back