• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

How much do you pay to get tires mounted?

It was a slow day at work today so i called arround to a bunch of different shops and most places were charging $55 or more per wheel when they are off the bike.

It makes $77 for both seem not too bad.

I had mine mounted for 50chf (about 50usd) for both tyres.
They were done by a milk farmer (I am not kidding) who had a part-time job as a tyre mounting service, associated with an online tyre selling website.
Reifen online @ ReifenDirekt.ch: Winterreifen, Sommerreifen, Pkw-Reifen und Reifenhandel

The tyres were much cheaper there than local shops.
I think local shops would have charged about 100chf service charge to mount them. 5chf to recycle the old tires.

However, I had mine done in a dusty old barn.
So...you get what you paid for.

I don't currently have tools and need to put my new tires on. I called the shop to see how much it would cost to get the new rubber put on the rims with the wheels already off the bike and was told $77.50 + tax.

Over $80 to mount two tires seems pretty excessive. Especially since getting four truck tires mounted and balanced was $40.

Is that a normal cost? If it is I can see why people go through the trouble of dooing their own tires.

Don't be cheap, pay the man the money. I just changed the tires on my NC the other day, but if I had someone near by that did such a thing for $80 a pair off the bike, I'd use them.

Either that or go out and buy yourself some tire irons.

I just had a set mounted and balanced for my NC about a month ago. Cheapest I could find was $80, and that was off the bike.

Fortunately I ride with a couple of guys with machines, there is the manual tyre changing machine you can buy, if you buy tyres from Cycle gear and many independnt shops they give you a break like $25-? you mount and balance. Tubeless rim tyre mounting is difficult, shop around for a deal.jm

My tire shop charged $15 per tire if they're off the bike. This was for my 250 Virago before I got the NC. I suppose they'd mount them for free if you buy the tires from them as they do with automobiles.

I was looking at that exact model machine. Would you say it's worth it and the quality you had expected?

I am completely happy with it. The motor has plenty of torque to spin the wheel; the arm is solid enough to keep the duckhead where it needs to be; the bead breaker has plenty of force to break stubborn beads; and every part on it is available from Derek Weaver. Lots of people told me to buy a Coats, but I don't do enough tires for that expenditure. It works quite well. I was going to get the extra arm for holding the opposite bead in the bead well, but it hasn't been necessary. Since you are not manhandling the mount bar around with two hands and a hip (a la NoMar and Horror Freight), you are available to push down on the opposite bead while it is spinning the tire on.

$25 at Cycle Gear. They have to be off the bike and you have to buy the tires from them.

Really, anything under $40 is reasonable. I'd expect a little more if they're on the bike, especially a rear wheel.

Wowsers! I don't feel too bad about my local shop charging $30 a tire when off the bike. There are places that will charge less around So Cal down to $15 per tire but I don't have a spare car. Last time, I did my own tire since I had couple of spoons and I've got the scratches to show for it. I kinda wish I paid $30 to avoid the scratches...

I am completely happy with it. The motor has plenty of torque to spin the wheel; the arm is solid enough to keep the duckhead where it needs to be; the bead breaker has plenty of force to break stubborn beads; and every part on it is available from Derek Weaver. Lots of people told me to buy a Coats, but I don't do enough tires for that expenditure. It works quite well. I was going to get the extra arm for holding the opposite bead in the bead well, but it hasn't been necessary. Since you are not manhandling the mount bar around with two hands and a hip (a la NoMar and Horror Freight), you are available to push down on the opposite bead while it is spinning the tire on.

Exactly what I was hoping to hear.

When i moved to Knoxville 8.5 years ago I bought a Cycle Hill (Nomar) tire changer, a Mark Parnes static balancer and an Ingersoll Rand Air Compressor. All in was $810. I keep a spreadsheet for all maintenance and it has 161 tires installed using this setup (on my bikes and probably 40 or more on other's bikes). At $25 a tire my cost would have been $4,025 so $8050 at $50 a wheel. I have probably spent another $100 in tire lube and wheel weights but either way the setup has saved me a lot of money.

The convenience of being able to change tires anytime I want is priceless. If I ordered a set of tires from Riders Domain right now they would show up at the house tomorrow. They are under 24 hours to my door as long as I get the order in by 9PM, mostly because their depot is only one state away. My cash rewards every year gets me at least one free set of tires, usually more.

Not for everyone but if you go through tires like me it is the only way to go. We only get about 2,500 miles out of a set of tires due to the technical mountain roads and corner speeds so we could save a lot of money of we quit having fun. I know, right?

KEB

watch CL etc and you can find tire machines cheap. I paid $200 for my Coates 200.

I have purchased my tires from Cycle Gear, they usually match price. When I buy them there, it is $25 for mounting per wheel. A few back, I had steel valve stems put on for $10 (they don't have to be changed).

Back