How much does battery brand matter for the NC?

jtanner

Reaction score
Visit site
While choosing a new battery for my car recently, I watched this very insightful video by Project Farm:

In short, he determined that the cheap Walmart car batteries appear to be the best value and even outperform more expensive batteries in some areas. With this new knowledge, and learning that they come with a 3-year warranty, I chose the Walmart Everstart battery.

Now, my NC is in need of a new battery and I find myself wondering the same thing.
Any thoughts or experience with this?

670cc

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Mods
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
First, I admit that I lost patience and skipped some of this video, but I gathered that the tests done were to determine the relative performance of newly purchased batteries. An important aspect of batteries that I didn’t see mentioned, was how long they will last. I buy car batteries based on price, and whatever their relative performance might be hasn’t mattered since they always perform adequately for me to reliably operate the car. In addition, they all last about 7 years in a car or truck, regardless of the brand. So, for me, a car battery is a car battery.

In the distant past I had horrible experiences with failures and short life on non-OEM motorcycle batteries, so I now stay with the OEM Yuasa brand, or most often their aftermarket brand called Motocross. Motocross is the same Yuasa battery but with a different label and a lower price. I get around 8 years life out of Yuasa/Motocross batteries. There may be other brand motorcycle batteries that will last 8 years, but I have been afraid to try them again based on experiences in the distant past. If anyone has long battery life experiences with aftermarket battery brands, please post.

Last edited:

Klap

Reaction score
Visit site
I consistently use cheap AGM batteries, and routinely get 6-7 years out of them. Partly, it is due to my trickle charger
/ desulphator, a Battery Minder. I use Chromebattery.com for all my batteries, the last one I bought was for my ST1300, which is the same as the NC’s. I think it was 39$ including shipping. I had 5 years on my Helix battery when I sold it, and it was going strong!

TigerDude

Reaction score
Visit site
My sample size of 2 for bikes says it matters a lot. Bought the cheapo "Firepower" from Revzilla for the big sum of $65 USD (& a major headache trying to get the bolts in - made my own spacers to hold the nuts). It lasted a month. Bit the bullet and bought a Shorai incl their charger for $215 or so & it's going like a champ 12 months later. Spacers for nut included. I was basically not going through the headache again for as long as I could prevent it.

As for cars, my sample size of a bunch says it doesn't matter at all. Super warranted batteries to whatever they have at Walmart/Autozone/Advance/etc. They all die in about 5 years. I get mine now from whatever auto parts store is closest when I need one & have them hook it up for me.

Last edited:

sumo69

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought a Yuasa YTZ12S battery for 1.5 months.
in my experience european engine batteries are not good, max 2-3 years of life
car battery in a well-functioning car, normal use cheap battery is just as good as expensive

BFair

Reaction score
Visit site
Batteries vary in cost to based on CCA, cranking amps. I too average 6-7 years by making sure they don't go dead, using a tender every other month or so.

One important thing I learned was to put a 4 amp charger on the battery when low to "soak the plates". Also put a draw on the battery occasionally. A battery builder gave me that tip. Also, proper charging when new helps with battery life too. Always check electrolyte levels, even sealed battery can go dry if "cooked".

To many people blame battery life on other problems the bike has in the electrical system. I recently over tightened a set of leads ruining the lead terminals, (cheap battery) I learned to look for steel leads over lead when selecting a battery.

BFair

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a Cessna 152. It uses a 24 volt battery. I get around 7 years if I don't grind on the starter to much. Also, I use a trickle charger in the winter, watch the electrolyte levels like a hawk. The plates are so close together they can easily warp and short if over heated. Battery is the same size as a 12 volt car battery. Battery costs $475!!!