• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

How to buy a helmet?

Afan

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm shopping for new helmet. I have couple of models on my list but the problem is I can't test them. I went to two local dealerships and they don't allow to take them "for a ride". And, because of my tinnitus, I need something really QUITE.
So, I wonder how you shop for new helmet? Any website you trust with reviews?

[Edited on May 21st 2018] P.S. I use earplugs so please, recommending me to use earplugs doesn't help to my question "How you shop for new helmet (since you can't take it out on a test ride)?"
Thanks.

Last edited:
I always wear earplugs so all my helmets have been quiet. I know that doesn’t answer your question but I don’t buy helmets for quietness but for comfort and features.

I agree with dduelin. The first few rides were without earplugs and my ears would ring when I finished the ride. I purchased a set of NoNoise earplugs and haven't had an issue since. I can still hear what is going on around me except now the wind noise is gone. Wish I would have used them to begin with.

It would be interesting if someone with hearing sensitivity could make a recommendation for you. I don't know if you have tried any high end ear plugs. I see them at some of the motorcycle shows. They range from a custom fit silicone to fancy ones with replaceable filters used by musicians. Not sure if one of those would help you. I have had my custom earplugs since the 90's so it has been a good investment for me. If you can separate the ear plugs from the helmet it may open up more helmet options for you. Free internet ideas :) good luck

Never found a helmet quiet enough to avoid wearing earplugs. The reference in quietness is Schuberth, but even their top end is going to be noisy enough on long rides to damage your earing, unless you limit your speed and let all aeration closed.

In short : earplugs.

Last edited:
I bought a C3 Pro for comfort and the claimed noise reduction. It IS a quiet helmet, but as everyone has said you still need earplugs to protect your hearing.

Candidly, I’d recommend getting a set of custom plugs from an audiologist. You’ll spend about $100 or so, but they’ll be custom fit, extremely comfortable, and will kill noise without blocking music or voice if you use any helmet comms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The user reviews and Revzilla's reviews are good... I have found them to give a good indication of sizes and features. I am in Canada, so I have never ordered from them but apparently they have a great return policy.
You will never find somewhere that will let you use the gear first... it will have to remain unused. So all you are going to be able to tell is initial fit.

From Fortnine: Helmets & Apparel: Any merchandise which has been 'taken out for a ride' is considered used and cannot be returned. We encourage you to walk on your carpet if trying boots or to wear your helmet indoors before heading out on the bike.
From Revzilla: All Products must be returned in unused, unworn, unridden condition.

Go with a full face, non-modular if your primary concern is noise. Generally, they more you pay the better they get (weight, comfort, features, noise). Always wear ear protection.

I also like Webbikeworld - Helmet Reviews - If anything they generally give a good review of the item with details and pictures.

I have long success with Etymotic ER20 plugs, also called ETY plugs. But the quietness of the helmet still makes a difference.

Unfortunately, my last 2 modular helmets (HJC IS Max II and Shoei Neotec) have started to give a pinching feeling to the top of my forehead after about an hour on the highway.
I suppose you could try on the helmet and watch a movie at home...

I loved my Shoei GT-Air and might switch from a modular back to a full-face if they ever come out with a new design that is more to my taste- less black, more high viz graphics.

I also have thought about getting thicker foam pads to tighten the sides up a little; maybe that would help quiet things down if you've got excess noise?

So, I wonder how you shop for new helmet?
I go to the local BMW dealer and try on a couple of different sized C3 Pros....Then I walk around the showroom like a total dork with the helmet on, maybe have a cup of coffee, (modular) watch TV (love BMW dealerships), maybe check out what is going on in the service area or chill on the couch with a magazine...etc.

.....When I find one that I like, I note the size.

Next, I go online and order the same exact one from Germany for about 1/2 the price (and a 7 day return) ;-)

Since the <only> way to reduce noise is with ear plugs, I really don't need to "test ride" it to see how quiet it is since w/the plugs, all helmets are quiet :)

Last edited:
I go to the local BMW dealer and try on a couple of different sized C3 Pros....Then I walk around the showroom like a total dork with the helmet on, maybe have a cup of coffee, (modular) watch TV (love BMW dealerships), maybe check out what is going on in the service area or chill on the couch with a magazine...etc.

.....When I find one that I like, I note the size.

Next, I go online and order the same exact one from Germany for about 1/2 the price (and a 7 day return) ;-)

Since the <only> way to reduce noise is with ear plugs, I really don't need to "test ride" it to see how quiet it is since w/the plugs, all helmets are quiet :)

This is why dealers have high prices (because they sell less) and many of them are going out of business. They are also wary of people coming in to try and genuinely want to buy from them.
Thanks. You are a local-dealer killer.
Don't visit just to "try".
BTW, you cannot try a helmet by walking around...unless you can walk at 80kmh...

Thanks. You are a local-dealer killer.

Local dealers are not owed my business. There are several dealers around here that are garbage when it comes to pricing, customer service, common human courtesy, etc. There are also local dealers in my area who will price match to any Canadian online price, have excellent customer service, and have gone out of their way to try and help with minor things for no cost to me.
Just off the top of my head, in my area there is one dealer going out of business and one that's expanding into additional facilities (3 different cities/towns). I'll let you guess to which of the above two groups each belongs.
If you can order something online for 1/2 the price and no local dealer is going to make an effort to get that sale, then I'll be ordering it online thank you very much. If the local dealer said they could come to within 10% or so of the online price, that's where I'd make my purchase. No one is owed my business just because of their address.

Local dealers are not owed my business. There are several dealers around here that are garbage when it comes to pricing, customer service, common human courtesy, etc. There are also local dealers in my area who will price match to any Canadian online price, have excellent customer service, and have gone out of their way to try and help with minor things for no cost to me.
Just off the top of my head, in my area there is one dealer going out of business and one that's expanding into additional facilities (3 different cities/towns). I'll let you guess to which of the above two groups each belongs.
If you can order something online for 1/2 the price and no local dealer is going to make an effort to get that sale, then I'll be ordering it online thank you very much. If the local dealer said they could come to within 10% or so of the online price, that's where I'd make my purchase. No one is owed my business just because of their address.
Problem is you said it yourself. ..you go to shop to only try...not to try and buy.

I am not a business owner but I feel for them. You can always give yourself 100 reasons to justify your actions.

I would not go to shop to try without any intention to buy or try to buy.
That's my principled manners.
Of course you can do what you wish.

I buy loads online. But I don't cheat on my local shops.

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

Problem is you said it yourself. ..you go to shop to only try...not to try and buy.

You seem to have me confused with someone else. I was only offering my opinions on local vs online, I wasn't the one talking about trying on in store and then ordering online.

I have once however tried on a helmet in store (with a print out of the online store's price) and offered to buy what I tried on if they could come to a reasonably similar price to online. Important to note, the online price was not a "sale" or other special price, it was the every day price from that online retailer. I was told that there was no way to match that price, so I told them that there was no way I was going to buy it from them for their way inflated (nearly twice) price.

The other shop I was at recently price matched an online sale price for tires. That shop did get my business.

You seem to have me confused with someone else. I was only offering my opinions on local vs online, I wasn't the one talking about trying on in store and then ordering online.

I have once however tried on a helmet in store (with a print out of the online store's price) and offered to buy what I tried on if they could come to a reasonably similar price to online. Important to note, the online price was not a "sale" or other special price, it was the every day price from that online retailer. I was told that there was no way to match that price, so I told them that there was no way I was going to buy it from them for their way inflated (nearly twice) price.

The other shop I was at recently price matched an online sale price for tires. That shop did get my business.
Apologies... however my point remains.

A lot of people do this anyway...but not many will boast about it.

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

I always wear earplugs so all my helmets have been quiet. I know that doesn’t answer your question but I don’t buy helmets for quietness but for comfort and features.
Sorry for not responding on your post earlier, was out of country...
Yes, I wear my earplugs too (something cheap, I have to admit, from Walgreen's and I'll consider to look for something more effective). But I believe adding a good quite(r) helmet helps to the first line of defense, right? :D
So, I was wondering how to find if a helmet fits me if I can't test it on the street...

Never found a helmet quiet enough to avoid wearing earplugs. The reference in quietness is Schuberth, but even their top end is going to be noisy enough on long rides to damage your earing, unless you limit your speed and let all aeration closed.

In short : earplugs.

I use earplugs. The question was "how you shop for new helmet? Any website you trust with reviews?"
;)

The user reviews and Revzilla's reviews are good... I have found them to give a good indication of sizes and features. I am in Canada, so I have never ordered from them but apparently they have a great return policy.
You will never find somewhere that will let you use the gear first... it will have to remain unused. So all you are going to be able to tell is initial fit.

From Fortnine: Helmets & Apparel: Any merchandise which has been 'taken out for a ride' is considered used and cannot be returned. We encourage you to walk on your carpet if trying boots or to wear your helmet indoors before heading out on the bike.
From Revzilla: All Products must be returned in unused, unworn, unridden condition.

Go with a full face, non-modular if your primary concern is noise. Generally, they more you pay the better they get (weight, comfort, features, noise). Always wear ear protection.

I also like Webbikeworld - Helmet Reviews - If anything they generally give a good review of the item with details and pictures.

Hi Lue,
Yes, that's my concern. And that's not an item that cost couple bucks so who cares even if you can't return, right? So, it's kinda picking in the dark...
Although, as you said, reviews on Revzilla, WebBikeWorld, and couple others can help...

P.S. The guy from Fortnine - I really like him. He knows thing or two about bikes. I'm following him on YouTube...

Back