• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

How to install a mirror stud phone holder and USB the easy way.

Squash of the south

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello everyone,
So I've been getting pretty annoyed with having my phone in my pocket recently due to switching from pandora to my own music, having to listen to my GPS through my Sena and missing a few turns, and also just being able to charge my phone or anything else while I ride. So the other day I ordered this- Amazon.com: Goodway Universal Motorcycle Cell Phone Mount Holder Waterproof with USB Charger 360deg Rotation for iPhone Samsung GPS ATV Scooter Moped Chopper Cruiser: Automotive It's a phone holder with a USB on it that can charge an iPhone and some other devices. When it came it included wires to mount directly to the battery. Having read some other threads I realized this might be a bad idea since I didn't see a fuse and the power button was incredibly small. I took a trip down to Honda and spoke with one of the techs and received some good information so this is how I proceeded.

First I obtained one of the bolt on accessories for a battery stabilizer that mounts too the battery and has a quick disconnect and installed it on the bike-
IMG_1743.jpg

As you can see this attachment comes with a 7.5 amp fuse just in case the USB acts up and also comes with this nice little disconnect to prevent any draw if you choose to leave the bike sitting anywhere and plus now I have this awesome connector ready if I buy a battery maintainer it should just plug right in.
IMG_1744.jpg

So I have BarkBusters installed on my NC700X it takes up quite a bit of room on the bars and I also ordered a cup holder which hasn't come in. The great thing is this goes right under your mirror. So next I unscrewed the mirror and placed the pate in with everything else attached then just placed the mirror back in it's place and made adjustments for the small amount of room the plate took up. You can also see the USB block under the phone mount in the picture you only need maybe a six inch USB to the charger to go to the phone maybe smaller.
IMG_1739.jpg

My next step was routing the wires from the cradle to the battery I had the battery compartment in the frunk open for all of this. So I routed the wires down the existing wires from the controls on the left side along then used a piece of somewhat sturdy flexible wire to stick through and used my hand to guide it up to the wires from the cradle.
IMG_1740.jpg
IMG_1742 2.jpg

After this I snipped off the O-ring battery terminal connections from the cradle and took a two pin connector found in the trailer section of a auto parts store. I cut this piece in half and picked the end with the positive connector unexposed. Stripped the ends of the cradle wires and and the part of the two pin connector pack I had selected. I crimped them together making it a quick disconnect so if their somehow is a drain even when the USB cradle is turned off (it also has an on off switch) I can pull it off. Plus this gives me the ability to pop it off and use a battery maintainer without having to open up the battery box since I just popped them right out of the top of the battery box cover and now I shouldn't have to open it or close it just attach it when I get ready to ride and I have much of the excess zip tied and stored out of place and out of the way.
IMG_1746 2.jpg
IMG_1745 2.jpg
IMG_1749.jpg

Hope this helped someone. Because I searched and searched and didn't like the whole removing the side pannels and doing something crazy. I can't remember the company the battery piece is from but I know that thunder? battery maintainer comes with one for quick disconnecting and reconnecting to the bike instead of using gator clips. Plus I know you can buy a USB connector that mounts right to the end of this wire piece that I have installed on the battery with the 7.5 fuse installed. Meaning if you wanted to have this installed in the frunk it would be super easy and you can also install the cigarette lighter style attachment. So their are a few different options for you. But I looked and looked and didn't see anything that was as easy and convenient as this. Possibly 15-20 minutes of work and that's stretching it. I bought the battery piece with the fuse at a Honda dealership, the cradle on amazon, and the connector I crimped on from oreilys. I hope this helped someone because this was just me being cautious and getting things done. Also I did test this and know it works and charges the phone. Ride on!
IMG_1751.jpg
IMG_1752.jpg

Last edited:
Back