• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

How to open glove box without a key

HONDABIKEPRO

Supporting Vendor
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
1. HOW TO OPEN THE GLOVE BOX WHEN THE KEY WILL NOT OPEN IT.
2. IF THE KEY WILL TURN CLOCKWISE AND THE GLOVE BOX WILL NOT OPEN. BUT THE REAR SEAT WILL WHEN TURNED COUNTER CLOCKWISE.
3. POSSIBLE LIKE MY BIKE, THE WHITE CABLE HOLDER ON THE BOTTOM OF THE KEY ASSEMBLY, IS BAD. THIS PART IS NOT AVAILABLE MY ITSELF, YOU HAVE TO BY A LOCK ASSEMBLY. HERE IS HOW TO GET TO THE CABLE TO OPEN THE GLOVE BOX
1. REMOVE THE TWO PUSH PINS ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE BLACK PLASTIC HOUSING THAT THE GLOVE BOX KEY GOES IN.
2. NOW YOU CAN PULL THE RIGHT SIDE SILVER PLASTIC SCOOP BACKWARDS. PULL IT BACKWARD JUST ENOUGH TO PULL THE FRONT CLIPS OUT OF THE BLACK PLASTIC, YOU MAY BRAKE THE TAB ON THE UPPER REAR CORNER OF THE SILVER SCOOP, BE VERY CAREFULL, THERE IS STILL ONE BOLT HOLDING THIS COVER, THAT IS UNDER THE DOOR OF THE GLOVE BOX THAT YOU CANT GET TO, BECAUSE THE LID IS IT THE CLOSED POSITION, BUT NOW IF YOU JUST PULL THE SILVER SCOOP UP YOU CAN SEE A HOLE, LOOK WITH A FLASH LIGHT AND YOU CAN SEE THE LOCK AND CABLE.
3. MAKE A SMALL ROD WITH A HOOK IN IT,, HOOK ONLY THE INNER CABLE, NOT THE OUTER HOUSEING, PULL ON THIS INNER CABLE AND THE GLOVE BOX WILL OPEN,, THEN YOU CAN TAKE IT ALL APART TO GET TO THE LOCK. HOPEFULLY THESE PIC WILL HELP. IF NOT SEND ME A MESSAGE AND I WILL HELP YOU GET TO IT. DALE

3A9C59E1-4F9E-48F0-B634-EF0F959ADE58-8434-00000FB8DCEE9894.jpg

8F0DA102-DB83-441F-AB09-D1FD9831561D-8434-00000FB8D31ECB48.jpg

73EB9F0A-196E-4933-8A15-D920B5FACD93-8434-00000FB8C9F137E4.jpg

1D3F5531-35D2-4CD6-B348-4395250FEEE6-8434-00000FB8B460BB3C.jpg

EE96462D-9B5E-48A9-9553-51E0676BB632-8434-00000FB8A78A9518.jpg

052CAA46-6EBA-4E13-966B-82096DF77E00-8434-00000FB897E1F111.jpg

F944DB2F-5DD9-4231-841C-97596A7B0F33-8434-00000FB87E5C9216.jpg

High lee the car is a 1968 e type jag that i am restoring. 4.2 litre six, with a four speed. I just got done adjusted the valves. shim over bucket, dohc motor.

i always had the key, but it would not open the glove box, only the rear seat, yours may be next. if one did it there are more to follow!!!!! and there was nothing inside the box or under the lid when i got it open,, what are you going to do when the rear seat will not open???? no open, no gas, you will have to walk..

i always had the key, but it would not open the glove box, only the rear seat, yours may be next. if one did it there are more to follow!!!!! and there was nothing inside the box or under the lid when i got it open,, what are you going to do when the rear seat will not open???? no open, no gas, you will have to walk..
If that happens to me it will be a crowbar to get the back seat up and a bill for repairs winging it's way to Honda
Mike

I've thought of the seat not popping open. The action of the key feels.... well, not that solid. Reminds me of the gas cap pop on my Miata that works.... sometimes. I should probably sit down and look at what it would take to pop the seat if the key ever failed.

trey

i find that pushing down on all locking areas, seat, bags, trunk, and glovebox, makes them work alot easiler. it should keep the plastic parts from wearing as fast, and last longer too.

I do that since I recieve the bike, I feel the locks a little weak, so I push on the lid and rear seat to relieve the pressure on the locks.

I thought to install kind of emergency cables, but at the moment I am too busy.

B.R.

That certainly makes sense, I will read more and comment less.

I had a look at the system, it seems easy to install emergency cables for the seat, the main problem will be to hide the end loops somewhere.

B.R.

I will look into disconnecting the cable to the seat, I have no reason to lock the seat anyway, and who would ever think there was anything under the seat. In my daily travels I seldom park anyplace that would cause me to worry about my bike. Both my Frunk and seat hang up some when useing the key, I have to give them a little bang for them to pop open. If this ends up being a fault lets make sure Honda hears about it rather than correcting it ourselves and creating another KLR650 doohicky situation.

I'm wondering if a small engine throttle or choke type cable can be substituted with the operating handle placed in an inconspicuous place. As a wide-ranging traveler, I do sometimes (OK, usually) find myself in less than Forbes five star settings where protecting what you have is in order. Confusing them should work as well as a key. It looks like the emphasis here needs to be in not making it so secure that even the owner can't access it.

If you want to rig a back-up cable release, why not put the pull for the seat in the frunk (maybe behind the battery/fuse block panel) and the release for the frunk under the seat. I doubt that both releases would fail at the same time and that way the back ups would still be in a locked location.

Bob

Back