• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

how to rekey OEM luggage ??

kalifornia

Reaction score
Visit site
so I may have some oem luggage that is said to be keyed to the ignition. so my question is how would one use that luggage on a different bike? anyone know?

ok i found a thread, it looks like you can move the tumblers around in the luggage lock cylinder to match your bikes ignition lock cylinder. the seller of the bike said he has no luggage keys so my question is, if I sell this luggage can the buyer use his existing ignition key to perform this rekey? the thread mentioned that you insert a matching key into the cylinder to get the cylinder apart??? does that mean without a matching key to insert a rekey can not be performed? thanks ps. i bumped the thread to the top in the how to's section in case you can help.

Last edited:
I would think you'd need a set of pins or wafers compatible with the lock style, a rekey kit. Simply rearranging the pins or wafers in the lock works only if you get extremely lucky and you happen to have all the right pins or wafers available to match the new key.

I just rekeyed all the locks on an RV, and I bought a rekey kit on eBay for about $17. The kits, however, are going to be specific to the lock type.

It would sure help to have the key that matches the old locks, as well as the new key you want to use. But, maybe you can get by without the old key as long as you're able to get the lock cylinder out and take it apart.

hopefully someone can take a look at the tread i bumped and let me know, Im suppose to decide on this bike by tomorrow. It seems to me that if i take the lock apart before shipping the buyer could use his ignition key to perform the operation. thanks 670 sorry i missed you on my trip, only got as far as st lou

From reading the “other” thread, maybe if you’re lucky, Honda uses only 3 wafer heights, and they make all their locks by rearranging a like set of wafers. In that case you could rekey the luggage to the ignition key without needing to buy a wafer kit.

thanks thats kind of what i got out of the tread, hopefully a lock smith will chime in here. not sure if you need a correctly fitting key to open up the cylinder and make the change, but if you do I guess i could disassemble the cylinder and have to buyer arrange the wafers to his ignition key. Im not sure

We’re only talking about the saddlebag locks, right? The rear top case uses a different key entirely.

I’m away from home or I would. I’ll check in when I return and see if I can help.

Walp found this thread searching for something else. If you haven't solved it yet, the inner cylinder is available and I think you would be able to use the old outer cylinder of the PO. Assuming you can get them open, anyway.

Part number is 08M71-MJE-D01 for the 16/17 MY. I'm pretty sure it's the same for all years. $20 MSRP.

Back