• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

How you pack your bike?

Afan

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
When I finally figured out how to pack my stuff om my ST1100 - I totalled it. Now I have to figure it out on NC...
When I left fot 2 weeks trip, my first multiple days trip on NC, I put tools, flat-tire kit, air-comressor,... and other heavy stuff, into sidebags. And laptop. And First-aid kit.
In my top case I put my CPAP, and easy-access stuff, like snacks, rain gear, extra layer if cold, extra bottle of water... Two gas canister (in the green bag) on top of the top-case. Since we decided we're not camp, in my yellow dry-bag on the pilion seat is "regular" travel bag with my clothing, bike cover, jeans, air-hawk - if wooden beads don't work :D, sneakers. In the frunk I put cameras, documents, clear visor, lock and stanles vire, extra pair of gloves... I bought magnetic tank-bag but didn't have time to install magnets on the inner side of the frunk cover.
Couple hours later I realized that my front wheel is kinda "light". I had a feeling I can do wheelie in 3rd gear. Also, I looked pretty funny taking my cases, and bags, and plastic bag with lunch leftover, and photo bag, and ... on a luggage cart to my room.
When get home two weeks later I had tools and other heavy stuff in my frunk - made the bike much more stable, rain gear, gloves, dirty cloths, shoes, bike cover, and other light stuff, in my side bags. Top-case remaind pretty much the same.

image000000.jpg

Couple weeks ago I rode/camp along the Mississippi river over a weekend. I didn't have cloths almost at all, but this time I had in my yellow dry bag sleeping pads, sleeping bag, hamock (to test if chance), jeans. Cloths, tent, bike cover, extra air-mattress (don't ask me...)... - in sade cases. Top-case is pretty much the same. Except, instead extra gas, I put cookwear (JetBoil, coffee cup, cofe, tea, oatmeal, 2 Mountain House meals, can of beans, spoon, fork...) in the green bag. Heavy stuff in the funk again.

20170729_095657.jpg

Probably the season is over, but have to think about for next year, how to have everything on my bike. Clothing, cookware, camping gear, tools... Having my yellow dry bag on my pillion seat (gas tank) wasn't such a big deal. After a week everything was so smooth... But adding an extra bag on top of it, or my backpack - help by a net to the top-case, or photo-bag... to be honest it did piss me off at a gas station.

So... How do you pack your bike for multiple days trips - full geared?

Last edited:
I try to keep anything off the rear seat. I have E36 36 liter Givi panniers just like your E45 top case and can usually pack everything inside the frunk, panniers, and top case. No tied-on or Clampett style pile-ups. Exception is a camp chair and I installed two eye bolts on the front of the top box to tie the chair to. I generally pack 2 sets of microfiber or poly mix shirts and pants and 4 pair underwear in a stuff sack or saddlebag liner bag. Clothing to wash and dry easy in hotel or campground bathhouse every other day, normally no bulky jeans or sweaters/sweatshirts. The electric jacket liner and a pair of lightweight thermal long john layers as necessary depending on season. I only prepare breakfast in camp so my MSR Dragonfly stove, instant coffee, sugar, spoons and a few packets of grits fit in a 1 qt teapot which with an extra fuel container go in a small ditty bag. Minimum tools to remove the rear wheel 22(??) mm box end wrenches, 10,12,14mm open end wrenches, 4 and 5mm allen wrenches, and a pair of pliers I wrap in and tie up inside a towel which doubles for bathing. My backpacking tent packs small and the poles are 14" long. In place of the poles I slip inflatable mattress into the tent bag, poles go in opposite pannier. All of the above plus laptop charger and a pair of thin soled cloth Croc walking shoes fit in the panniers. I save the top box for the laptop wrapped in another towel, extra helmet face shield, gloves, half bike cover. Keep it light up there. In the frunk I have a small tank bag that holds a multitude of small items like a leatherman tool, earplugs, eyeglass and face shield cleaning stuff, medicines, insurance cards, pen/pencil/paper, micro first aid kit, squeeze water bottle, snacks. Under the tank bag is a tee handled tire plugging kit. Then my Frogg Toggs rain gear stuff sack or a clothing layer or room for stripping off a clothing layer depending on weather and my outer riding gear choice of Aerostich or mesh jacket/pants. Under the seat in the tail section is my 12 volt tire pump and a small bag of misc fuses and roll of electrical tape.

I like everything locked up and out of sight when traveling so I can walk away from the bike and not worry about it. Some trips I plan routes all in advance so the laptop stays at home and I can lock my helmet in the top case.

The first couple of years making several trips a year when I got home I unpacked and sorted everything into three piles. One pile of stuff I used or wore. Second pile was stuff I did not use but might use another time. The third pile was stuff I did not use and did not expect to use or if I had to have it for a rare instance I could buy it somewhere on the road. In time piles 1 & 2 contained the essentials described above.

DDuelin - you listed these tools in your post above: Minimum tools to remove the rear wheel 22(??) mm box end wrenches, 10,12,14mm open end wrenches, 4 and 5mm allen wrenches, and a pair of pliers. With those sizes can you do pretty much anything you need to do on the NC750X? Not looking to do an engine overhaul here, just want to be able to deal with most issues and install some Givi equipment i ordered and had sent to the dealer (side and top case racks). I bought a bike in Atlanta and I'm going there to pick it up. Wondering what i need to take with me... Any advice would be appreciated.

DDuelin - you listed these tools in your post above: Minimum tools to remove the rear wheel 22(??) mm box end wrenches, 10,12,14mm open end wrenches, 4 and 5mm allen wrenches, and a pair of pliers. With those sizes can you do pretty much anything you need to do on the NC750X? Not looking to do an engine overhaul here, just want to be able to deal with most issues and install some Givi equipment i ordered and had sent to the dealer (side and top case racks). I bought a bike in Atlanta and I'm going there to pick it up. Wondering what i need to take with me... Any advice would be appreciated.
Braso, I realize I’m not dduelin, but I’ll mention that front wheel removal requires a 17mm hex bit. I bought one that was on a square drive meant for a ratchet, then knocked the hex bit part out of it to save space and weight. That way I just bring along the bit and I can just turn the bit with an adjustable wrench.

Rear wheel requires a 22 and a 27mm wrench. You might be able to get by with only the 27 for the nut, as usually once the axle snugs up, it doesn’t tend to turn. Carrying along a regular 27mm box end wrench would be bulky, but there are more compact motorcycle axle 22/27mm wrench sets available.

When I had my former NC700X my packing went as follows:-

Heaviest items in the frunk.

Next heaviest that wont fit in the frunk go in the panniers.

The lightest load of all goes in the topbox. In fact it is half empty most of the time.

Packing on my current NC derivitive is different because its frunk is under the seat.

...Heaviest items in the frunk.
Next heaviest that wont fit in the frunk go in the panniers.
The lightest load of all goes in the topbox. In fact it is half empty most of the time.
Heaviest items in the bottom of the panniers, lighter items on top of heavy items.
Bulky items on the Dale's Rack in a dry bag.
Top Box only holds the lunch, rain gear and space for my helmet when I'm off the bike.
Frunk holds a couple water bottles, extra gloves, convenience items.

I use side cases only for trips, not local riding. For me, right side case holds rain gear, alternate gloves, clothing layers. Reason they are there is if I needed them urgently due to a weather change and I’m on the side of the road, I am standing on the side of the bike opposite traffic

I pack like a back packer and everything I need for an extended trip on the road fits in my frunk and Tourmaster tail pack. Other than a tire repair kit I don't pack any tools. I maintain my bike, and make sure it's road ready before a trip (and if something other than a flat would come up I have AAA towing 150 miles, but knock on wood have never had to use it) so all I have to pack is my clothes (the outfit I'm wearing and 2 extra sets.. all washable in the hotel sink and driable over night) a polo shirt, a pair thin jeans, slip on gym shoes(for evening restaurant wear), a thin windproof pull over, and thin windproof pants (for insulation if needed), spare set of gloves, ball cap, toiletries, medicine, spare glasses, charger for phone, bottle of water, etc. Since I'm old and have trouble getting up and down off the ground and need to pee at night, I forego camping and stay in motels. Usually a Comfort Inn or the like. I appreciate a dry room with lights, a soft bed with pillows, and a hot shower after a day on the road.

R414PH1h.jpg

Staying in hotels and eating at restaurants, and hiring out repairs and not bringing extra fuel would cut my packing down to about 25% or less of what I normally pack. I try to be totally self sufficient on the road except for buying fuel along the way.

Last edited:
all tools go in the right pannier (so I'm opposite traffic when digging about for tools, air pump, etc.). Riding gear in the left pannier (rain gear, extra gloves, clear face shield - I wear the dark one most of the time for sun -- maybe a thermal shirt if I'm riding in the cold). Street clothes, toiletries, etc., in a dry bag on Dale's rack. Smallish E30 top case mostly empty to hold my helmet, but sometimes used for light stuff. My miscellaneous crap is always in the frunk - just like a tank bag.

Heaviest items in the bottom of the panniers, lighter items on top of heavy items.
Bulky items on the Dale's Rack in a dry bag.
Top Box only holds the lunch, rain gear and space for my helmet when I'm off the bike.
Frunk holds a couple water bottles, extra gloves, convenience items.
This is how I started my 2-week trip several years ago, having the heaviest items in the paniers. It will lower your COG a bit, but also move it a bit to the rear. My front wheel was so "light", I had the feeling if I hit a stone, or a street/speed bump my front wheel would go up. Once I moved my tools into the frunk (I know, I know, I brought to much stuff with me :( ) everything was ok again.

This is how I started my 2-week trip several years ago, having the heaviest items in the paniers. It will lower your COG a bit, but also move it a bit to the rear. My front wheel was so "light", I had the feeling if I hit a stone, or a street/speed bump my front wheel would go up. Once I moved my tools into the frunk (I know, I know, I brought to much stuff with me :( ) everything was ok again.
If you have a big enough beer gut it keep the weight forward.

But as for the rest of it, I don't pack enough to really upset the balance. I'm also a long distance backpacker, used to traveling light. Probably the heaviest thing I carried was bottles of water and those are Frunk items. My tool kit is very minimal. My tent small. My clothing light. I do have an emergency fuel bladder, 5 Liters. When it is filled it sits on the Dale's Rack.

I pack like a back packer and everything I need for an extended trip on the road fits in my frunk and Tourmaster tail pack. Other than a tire repair kit I don't pack any tools. I maintain my bike, and make sure it's road ready before a trip (and if something other than a flat would come up I have AAA towing 150 miles, but knock on wood have never had to use it) so all I have to pack is my clothes (the outfit I'm wearing and 2 extra sets.. all washable in the hotel sink and driable over night) a polo shirt, a pair thin jeans, slip on gym shoes(for evening restaurant wear), a thin windproof pull over, and thin windproof pants (for insulation if needed), spare set of gloves, ball cap, toiletries, medicine, spare glasses, charger for phone, bottle of water, etc. Since I'm old and have trouble getting up and down off the ground and need to pee at night, I forego camping and stay in motels. Usually a Comfort Inn or the like. I appreciate a dry room with lights, a soft bed with pillows, and a hot shower after a day on the road.

R414PH1h.jpg
Like your minimalism. Do you have a rear tail rack of any kind or do strap your Tourmaster tail pack straight to the bike? If so witch rack do you have?

Like your minimalism. Do you have a rear tail rack of any kind or do strap your Tourmaster tail pack straight to the bike? If so witch rack do you have?
I used to strap the tail bag straight to the rear seat

kix1uQz.jpg

A few weeks ago I bought and installed a T Rex rack so I could move the tail bag off the rear seat/gas cap

jeSrSbZ.jpg

The T Rex rack is much cheaper than the Honda OEM rack, larger, has strapping holes and was a breeze to install. Took 15 mins max.

jeSrSbZ.jpg

The T Rex rack is much cheaper than the Honda OEM rack, larger, has strapping holes and was a breeze to install. Took 15 mins max.
The T Rex rack looks quite functional. As a bonus, it looks like it would be easy to drill out the rivets and remove the T Rex nameplates. :)

I used to strap the tail bag straight to the rear seat

kix1uQz.jpg

A few weeks ago I bought and installed a T Rex rack so I could move the tail bag off the rear seat/gas cap

jeSrSbZ.jpg

Question, when you strapped the bag to the seat did you have to remove it to fuel up or does it just come up with the seat. Looking at a tail bag myself

Question, when you strapped the bag to the seat did you have to remove it to fuel up or does it just come up with the seat. Looking at a tail bag myself
No it had to be removed but it was really simple a bungie hook to each rear footpeg and a bungie hook to the rear lic plate bracket. Took all of 20 seconds to remove or install. Since then I have gotten some small Rok straps which means 2 snaps to take off or remove from seat or luggage rack.

Back