• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Question Howdy! Start up on 2012 with 1290 miles. HoustonTX

Touchstone

Reaction score
Visit site
So I recently purchased a 2012 NC700x with only 1290 miles from my friends husband down here in Houston Texas. They decided not to continue riding due to health condition that makes head impacts easily deadly. I was raised in a salvage yard near Beaumont Tx so I feel confident to most of the work myself to get it started up.

Just did my motorcycle courses last weekend near Houston with SafetyontwoWheels nonprofit here and had a fantastic time learning to ride on thier brand spanking new KTM Duke 200 they have a little fleet of.

Got a deal im happy with for 2000$ and it has been kept out of weather. Has sat up for a few years since last drive. Not starting up and Fuel Guage error code after I change battery. Pulled tank just now and I'm going to just change the pump, clean the tank and I think it could be rusted so maybe a reseal. Not worth rebuilding pump I feel. I think I got it handled but is there anything I should immediately be checking out outside of doing maintenance on essentially a brand new garage kept that a decade old?

Also any wisdom and general questions are welcome too looking forward to being apart of this community of riders of this frankly awesome bike that gets more interesting the more I look.

Attachments

• 20211023_174637.jpg
    20211023_174637.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 26
  • 20211023_173116.jpg
    20211023_173116.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 25
  • 20211021_160026.jpg
    20211021_160026.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 25
Great deal! Wish you would of posted a week ago, I had a part out gas tank I set out in the alley behind my house to drain the fuel out of and in the morning it was gone! Didn't think that would be a part someone would need. Bummer.
Yep, I live in Los Angeles. Figures.
You'll love the bike.

I've got a 2013 NC700X and I'm on the west side of Houston. Welcome and good for you working on your own bike. I've always got a project bike or three in the garage. I'll drop you a PM with my email address in case you want to compare notes.

Thank y’all for the warm welcome. Yesterday I dug into it more and determined that the tank is trash. While I have to skill to accomplish cleaning the rust out of the tank and sealing I think... key work think. For 50 bucks plus shipping I can have one that was maintained on a part out and internally looks clean. Both new pump assembly and fuel tank arrive Thursday. I unfortunately scheduled a date the same night so I know I’ll be itching to go work on the bike instead of giving her 100% my focus *shrug*

If it's been sitting for a while and you're waiting for the tank it might be a good time to go ahead and change the oil and install new oil filters Being a DCT bike there are two. Might want to check air filter for rodents getting in there and damaging it. A little involved getting to it but not rocket science either. Do this and you should confident be for many trouble free miles. Good luck and keep us updated! Scott

In addition to Scott's excellent suggestions, for a bike this age, I'd replace coolant. Inspect the chain and check to see if any of the o-rings bulging or falling out. If so, replace. The stock chain is not known to last long. If the o-rings look okay, no reason to replace at 1300 mi. If it is slightly rusty, spray with lube and ride it a bit. Surface rust will come off with lube and a rag (maybe a soft toothbrush, but only on the OUTSIDE of the chain plates, not inside by the o-rings). It should last 8 - 10,000.

I would wait on the valve adjustment until the recommended 8,000 mi interval.

Back