• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

I can't adjust the rear preload?

AdvSplash

Reaction score
Visit site
Despite hard pulling I can't adjust the rear preload on the shock.

I am planning to take the O/H out this weekend and it's not a problem with how it is now other than the bike is about 1 INCH lower to the ground and a little unstable at high speed so want to pump the preload up a little for a little more comfort (for me).

However, I can't move the damn thing!

I see there are two rings, I presume the top is a lock nut and the bottom one to adjust the preload then tighten the lock nut back up again...

Just clocked over 18K Miles too ;)

Any hints & tips?

In the technical section of the forum is a thread titled "rear shock spanner wrench??" It talks about the adjustment. Apparently Honda says the shock should not be adjusted.

Bob

Thanks,

I'm after how to do it, it has some slight adjustment of the preload and that's what I want to play with...

Thanks,

I'm after how to do it, it has some slight adjustment of the preload and that's what I want to play with...

Not sure if you mean the spanner wrench thread had instructions or you are looking for instruction, but either way there are some posts about how to do it in the spanner wrench thread.

Bob

Go there in the end Bob,

I think the nuts had seized from where they hadn't been adjust in 18,000 odd miles so after a quick tap with a screw driver and mallet they moved!

Have about 5-6 threads showing at the top now as opposed to 3-4 before but feels a lot better - need to test it later!

Happy Days!

It has to have a specific level of tolerance in order to accommodate different rider weights. I don't think they want user's adjusting it because it's a little trickier than a normal shock.

I'm only 50KG so alone I am an extremely light rider thus need a little extra give in the shock, but with a pillion which is 100KG is just over the weight of a normal adult thus the amount I have had to adjust it would make no difference to the spring whatsoever, if you can't adjust it at all then it show's this bike is well...

I know a few people that have had the dealer adjust it too suit, so I'd love to see the service bulletin out of interest because it has to have some flexibility in it.

The Rear shock on my Vstrom 1000, had a 2" dia. Knob for adjustment of the rear shock it made it very easy, I could come to a stop light and make an adjustment

Last edited by a moderator:
Back