• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

I don't have a garage for my 2016 NC700x DCT ABS

SomeLonely

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought my bike last week and it's my first motorcycle. I paid $5000 for it so I hope I didn't over pay.

I don't own a garage so my question is how should I store it? I do have a cover for it and keep it on at all times at home, but is that enough?

I'm a bike noob so sorry for the nooby question.

Ok. I thought you keep it in garages because it's better for the bike itself. When looking for bikes, I often read "garage kept"
Generally speaking bikes kept in garages will show less wear from the elements than ones kept outside. However, if you are diligent about keeping a good cover on it and doing routine maintenance, you shouldn't have any mechanical problems caused by it being stored outside. The only caveat to that is if you get a rodent problem and they chew through a wire or something but as long as you ride the bike regularly you shouldn't have that problem.

Some people feel owners who store their vehicles in garages care about them more and are thus more likely to take better care of them, hence the "garage kept" blurb in some ads, but that is bs.

All things being equal a bike stored indoors would be my choice between two stored indoors or outdoors. Paint, plastics, and rubber age from being exposed to the elements. That being said, quality motorcycles like Hondas have mechanical and electrical systems that are designed to live outdoors. Like mtnbiker1185 said, you shouldn't think the bike will suffer mechanical problems from being stored outdoors. As a new owner you want to protect your investment and keep it looking good. A good cover will help you do that.

I am in the same situation, not having a garage. The shed on the left was purchased ten years ago, and is still standing. It costs $300, and an afternoon to put up. I built the 8x8 cycle shack on the right to store my son's Honda Shadow while he is out of state. I had my GSX-R750 in there, and now it houses my NC alongside the Shadow. Both bikes are tarped, and the NC is chained to a piece of rebar that I sunk into a concrete footing. It cost about $600, and a weekend to build. Unfortunately, they are both in the back of the backyard, so I have to drive over grass to get to the driveway by the front of the house. I am going to build a similar structure, but with a flat slanted roof, at the end of the driveway so I don't have to ride on grass.

There are many options, it just depends on how much space you have (and are willing to dedicate to storage), how much you want to spend, and your skill level and enjoyment in assembling and building. I personally don't want to have my bike with just a tarp. I'd rather have it under some sort of structure.

Attachments

• two sheds.jpg
    two sheds.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 20
I had to store two bikes outside when I first got them and religiously kept them covered unless I was sitting on it. The problem I had was probably related to living in the Southeast USA where humidity levels are high just about year round. After about 9 months of living under the cover, both machines began to show a little surface rust on the shiny bits, much like the previous poster's pictures. I would recommend a cover as better than nothing, but don't forget to air it out whenever you can. Humidity is a killer.

Back