• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

I locked my key in the frunk, OR how to defeat the frunk lock!

supertux1

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So after 2 years and 13,000 miles, I managed to lock my key in the frunk. I don't know how it happened, wasn't paying attention. Had the key in my hand with all my other frunk junk and was sorting things and the wind blew it closed.

300 miles away from home and no cell signal. Only a few tools in my tool tube.

Here's how I recovered it:

1. Tried the big screwdriver in the lock technique that works so well on scooters, desk locks, cheap safes, some bikes... Tried levering the hood open at the hook point. Doesn't work. Damaged the lock and center cover. $120.00. I'll spare the gory pictures of that.

2. Left Side: I managed to get the 'fuct' unclipped from the front, and was able to pivot it out of the way (but still attached by the Phillips head screw under the frunk lid) enough for me to be able to get the front side cover off (the one with the signal light)

873c2a4903bc2f481b1e765d60e0b121.jpg

5aaaa6412a995b06ba81c655826c7e51.jpg

4. The frunk lid can be opened just enough so that you can see one of the hex head bolts that holds the inner upper cover in place. [2] in the picture. The protrusions on the 2016 frunk can be used as grab points to lever the plastic up just enough to get the short end of an L shaped Allen key in there and loosen that bolt. Then remove the trim clip.

b4e7456fa449a5e64396c7e9d4219766.jpg

5. At this point you can get a screwdriver between the inner upper cover and center cover and make contact with the latch mechanism. If you tap it just right it will snap open and release the frunk.

6. Now in my desperation I totally buggered the lock up, so I had to completely remove the latch (4 bolts) one the trunk was open.
I also lost the ability to open the passenger seat to gas up, so to release that I reached in the latch hole with a pair of needle nose plies and pulled the cable. At the latch mechanisms on the back seat, I tied a zip tie to each to hold them open. I used Rok straps to hold things down.

Lessons learned:

1. Pay attention to where the key is.

2. Hide a spare key somewhere on the bike but not in the frunk. :)

3. Investigate the latch mechanisms and create a hidden way to flip them open with string/cables hidden under the bodywork when the frunk lock is broke or you lock your key in the frunk.

sorry to hear this happened to you man - I had this happen to me a month ago but luckily I was in my home town and so took a cab home to get the spare key and back to the bike. I also thought about hiding the spare key somewhere well on the bike in case I'm far from home and it happens... - anyone can think of any nasty surprises or consequences by doing this? thx.

I need #1 get a spare made so that I have total of three keys. #2 need to find a place to hide my key. Any suggestions??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I need #1 get a spare made so that I have total of three keys. #2 need to find a place to hide my key. Any suggestions??

After you get all the suggestions on where to hide the key, then hide it somewhere that wasn't suggested.

Also, lets just say maybe I do hide a key on the bike, I can't tell you where it is, that is, if I even hide a key on the bike.

If I remember right, the blank key is HD109.

The emergency cable is a worthwhile addition, because the lock mechanism has been known to fail through no fault of the operator.

Last edited:
After you get all the suggestions on where to hide the key, then hide it somewhere that wasn't suggested.

Also, lets just say maybe I do hide a key on the bike, I can't tell you where it is, that is, if I even hide a key on the bike.

If I remember right, the blank key is HD109.

LOL - let's all share our hidden key's locations! just like kids... :p

My password is password.

Not really.

I have four keys. One in the ignition, one in the frunk lock, one on a keychain with house and luggage keys in my pocket when I ride, one in the gun safe.

Spare key is kept in my riding jacket for just this specific purpose. So far this insurance has worked as I have never had to use it. I was always concerned I would lose the key. Doesn't help if the mechanism gets jammed up :)

I have I short key that will only open the frunk zip tied to the inside body work by the air filter and a full size spare in the bottom of the frunk where the owners manual us supposed to go, I also have a short key in my wallet that was supposed to be glued into some kind of handle and left as a frunk key (in unsecure places I would put it in the frunk) but it's still in my wallet for now

This solution works for me...never have to worry about losing it and more importantly, I don't have to shut off the bike, pull the key from the ignition, put the key in the funk, pull the key back out, put the key back in the ignition....start the bike back up...yadda, yadda, yadda...

IMG_2926-XL.jpg

IMG_2921-XL.jpg

2016+ uses a laser cut key, not easy to duplicate.

3089d05de338c0c7dd96bc31c1c76ad3.jpg

Lock is different too, wouldn't budge given the screwdriver treatment. A common way thieves steal motorcycles. Good lock, Honda! It just stripped the innards:

7ba02c6795ccf6d72610866569cf5e65.jpg

Zip ties to release the gas hatch latches:

70fcc683c98e5ae03cc4ceb6221bef88.jpg

Still ridable and I only destroyed two cheap-ish easy to fix things. :)

I have a spare key from a HD109 blank in my wallet. However, I keep my wallet in the frunk when wearing my Rocket armored pants, because I don't trust the pants' pockets. My Joe Rocket jacket has a clip for holding a key by the zipper, up by the collar and I have a key clipped there. On my last 3k ride I managed to bump the frunk closed with the ignition key and wallet in the frunk. Un-zipped the jacket, leaned over and opened the frunk. Collar key also came in handy on the same trip when it started to pour and I pulled over to put my cell phone and GPS in the frunk without having to shut the engine. I keep a spare key for the saddle bags in the manual compartment in the bottom of the frunk. Don't want to be 1,000 miles from home, in the middle of no where with no key or wallet.

This solution works for me...never have to worry about losing it and more importantly, I don't have to shut off the bike, pull the key from the ignition, put the key in the funk, pull the key back out, put the key back in the ignition....start the bike back up...yadda, yadda, yadda...

IMG_2926-XL.jpg

IMG_2921-XL.jpg
Same thing here. Goldwing radio knob, spare key and some epoxy!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I guess the nefarious types that are targeting the Honda NC700x now know how to break into the frunk....and they know to look for hidden keys. Thanks a lot guys :D

I keep a spare key in my wallet. My wallet has a perfect little zipper pouch just the right size. My wallet is always with me. I locked my keys in my frunk three or four times prior to getting a spare at not once since. LOL

Back