• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

I started a new hobby. The best part: My NC makes it very cheap for me to enjoy.

mpgandfun

Reaction score
Visit site
I've been wanting to get a metal detector for a few years now. My new Garrett Ace250 arrived about 2 weeks ago.
'Been breaking it down into its 3 pieces, so it fits in my 55L dry bag and strapping it onto my NC. 70mpg really lets me
extend my search range without costing me an arm and a leg in gas. Beaches, parks, volleyball courts, etc., within 50 miles
are all within my reach and will cost me less than 6 bucks to travel and search them.

I joined a metal detecting forum a few days ago and figured I was probably an oddball when it came to combining
M/C and metal detecting. Then I noticed someone's thread title: "Detector on motorcycle?"
The thread had almost 20 replies in 2 days!

-And yes, I've been spending more time on that other forum recently. **confession of an NC forum cheater** :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I can totally see how that would be a fun time. The girlfriend would kill me if I started doing something else that I could spend my money on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My buddy at work spends a good bit of time with his metal detector. He talks about it often. During the conversation one thing I've picked up that I would not have thought of is the restrictions. I just figured you take your dector somewhere and turn it on. In our area many of the parks have rules against using metal detectors. I'm not talking National Parks. I mean your everyday run of the mill city park.

There were a few civil war battles fought around this area and several camp sites I'm sure. That may have something to do with the restrictions.

He is a member of a forum too. They have good information from what he tells me.

I had a Tesoro Silver Sabre for years. They can be a lot of fun. I never found anything worth a lot if money. I found a lot of coins, many silver items, a lead toy soldier, an old Ford tractor center cap (for the wheel), a silver sombrero (about 2" round) and lot of trash (one man's treasure - lol).
There are ways to go in and leave a place virtually the same as you found it.
I might join you in this as I was looking at them about 2 months ago. I didn't think about the combo of MC/Treasure hunting! Sounds good to me!

My buddy at work spends a good bit of time with his metal detector. He talks about it often. During the conversation one thing I've picked up that I would not have thought of is the restrictions. I just figured you take your dector somewhere and turn it on. In our area many of the parks have rules against using metal detectors. I'm not talking National Parks. I mean your everyday run of the mill city park.
Probably just don't want people digging holes in the turf.

Only used a metal detector once (had to borrow it from a friend) and it was fabulous. Used it to recover my wedding ring that I had lost on a hay ride through a corn field in Iowa. The kids on the hay ride decided to stuff the pastor with straw, which was quite successful. I took off my gloves to pull the straw out of my clothing and somehow my ring came off with the gloves. Didn't notice it was gone until I got home. Thought it was a goner, but I got the metal detector and went back to the scene of the crime, and in a few minutes found the ring! A wonderful tool.

So tell us about the most interesting and or valuable things you have found?

I haven't been at it very long, so there aren't any mentionable finds. -Yet! From what I've gathered on the
M-D forum, learning your machine is half the battle. I'm digging almost no empty holes now (phantom signals were an
issue the first few days). Adjusting the sensitivity, along with customizing my target elimination, has helped A LOT.

I'm pulling clad (ordinary modern change) out of the ground consistently now. Waiting for my first find of silver (1964 & earlier
dimes and quarters). Who knows, I might find a gold ring or something even better before I hit silver.

That is part of the "hook" for me. When you get a good signal and start to dig, ya never know what you're going to discover.

My deceased uncle and aunt lived about a block from the beach in Galveston. The metal detector on the beach was their hobby. Over the years they found a lot of cheap jewelry at the beach, but nothing of real value. They did have a great collection of sea shells found on the beach.

When you dig a hole looking for your "treasure", always make it an inverted cone. You slice through the grass in a circle, slice under the grass and lift off that part. Then, you can search, narrowing the search as you get closer. Put all the dirt back in and put the circle of grass back on top and you have a virtually unnoticeable dig.

Back