• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

I think my NC700X is dying - major loss of power

Well,

Thanks to all you wonderful people my bike is alive again.

Today I replaced the clutch and it did the job.

I am chuffed to bits that i finally got there. I had so much help from all of you.

I must admit I do feel a bit stupid for changing things that turns out didn't need to be changed.

Like I've said before I have learnt some new diagnostic skills and purchased some new tools that will aid me in the future.

Thanks again to each one of you.
Question: Did you soak the new clutch plates in oil overnight?

Hello All
I have a 2012 NC700X that I use everyday (except extreme weathers). I have looked after it as best as I can. I try to resolve all issues as they arise but this week I have encountered a problem that I cannot solve.
I was taking my regular commute to work (about 13 miles) when I there was a drop off in speed and power. I was travelling at about 60mph and the bike slowly dropped off to 50mph. I pulled over and looked for anything obvious. Nothing jumped out as obvious. So I attempted to set off on my way.
Unfortunately, when setting off the bike had lost a lot more power now and struggled getting above 30mph.
The bike seemed to lose all torque.
I had to get recovered and my bike has been in my garage since.
I have been trying to investigate various things. I have checked and replaced the spark plugs but no change. I even went back to the old plugs and it is still the same. I have checked the battery and it is great (not very old). I have stripped all the plastics off to get to and test the ignition coils. The resistances I am getting on the primary and secondary side of each are identical.
I have spark test device and when I plug that into the spark plug lead and fire it up I have a strong/long spark across it.
When I start the bike it starts fine. Before it starts I hear the fuel pump prime. It appears to rev fine and steady. I put it into first and it still sounds fine. When I attempt to pull off the bike makes all the right noises but pulls off at a snails pace with no torque. It won't even ride up my very shallow ramp into my garage.
I don't want to just throw money at it, mainly because I cannot afford to do that.
I am swaying towards a fuelling issue. Something like a fuel pump/filter or injectors. I am not getting any fault indications on the dash/clocks though.
I wanted to ask you lovely people on here if anyone has experienced a similar issue and if so, how they rectified it.
Thank you in advance.
Hi I had the same problem your clutch is burnt out

Not a slam.......but.......there’s a high cost to DIY when it’s does not work out.......unfortunately that’s the risk for DIY diagnostics and repair when the guess goes wrong. Obviously the parts are not cheap and not returnable.
In hind sight a dealer clutch repair ( if that’s the issue) would have been less than the fuel pump and injectors parts ?

The clutch test is engine running, bike standing still, select third gear, with front wheel against a brick wall, brakes applied, let the clutch out quickly while applying throttle . The engine should die instantly. If the engine revs clutch is slipping. This is a quick test, does require some skill and knowledge.

I'm 52 and have been riding since the 80's - first time I heard of this test. Great, simple safe method. Blows my mind that some riders have so little mechanical knowledge that they don't notice a slipping clutch - like on my 2012 NC I bought last September with 33K and I noticed on the test ride before buying that the clutch is worn since it does not grab until you hand is almost off the lever - since I don't wear clutches out by improper usage it will probably last me a long time I'll probably replace it in a few years just to restore the full range - ie clutch starts to grab gradually as the l ever is released instead of at the end of travel.

I've been away from the forum for quite so just now reading your post. Glad you figured this out. I started a similar thread over a year ago and our bikes had similar symptoms but not quite the same. I basically did what you did and replaced several parts which never fixed the issue. Then one day, it just got better. LOL

Back