• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Icon Airmada - any NC700X riders wear one?

dragonaut

Reaction score
Visit site
Unfortunately, I may be in the market for a new helmet much sooner than I had expected to be since the Scorpion EXO AT-950 I bought last fall is turning out to not be so comfortable for me. It looks great and all the research I did led me to believe it would be a good fit for me; however, I am finding it harder and harder to tolerate the discomforts it's giving me just on my 1-hour ride to work. And with a month-long tour coming up this summer, the last thing I want is to be dealing with headaches detracting from my enjoyment of the ride.

Additional research into my head shape (long oval) keeps turning up the Icon Airmada as a contender. I'd never given Icon helmets much consideration before as I think the graphics are way too over the top for my personality and they seem to be a much more "aggressive sportbike rider" style brand. But I looked over an Airmada at a local dealer Saturday and while I didn't wear it in the store long enough to be sure, it seemed very comfortably shaped (and pleasantly light) for my head.

I understand helmet fit and preference is an deeply personal issue and largely a crapshoot, so my question is not really "will this helmet be comfortable for me" but rather does anyone in the NC community have experience using this more sportbike /track-oriented helmet in the upright riding stance and commuting /touring style of our bike? That's the area in which I'm really hoping to gain some insight into this helmet.

Sent from my ASUS_A006 using Tapatalk

Hey D, if you haven't already..., you might want to look into getting different pads inside for a more customized fit. Otherwise, a new one is in order. :{)

Unfortunately, I may be in the market for a new helmet much sooner than I had expected to be since the Scorpion EXO AT-950 I bought last fall is turning out to not be so comfortable for me. It looks great and all the research I did led me to believe it would be a good fit for me; however, I am finding it harder and harder to tolerate the discomforts it's giving me just on my 1-hour ride to work. And with a month-long tour coming up this summer, the last thing I want is to be dealing with headaches detracting from my enjoyment of the ride.

Additional research into my head shape (long oval) keeps turning up the Icon Airmada as a contender. I'd never given Icon helmets much consideration before as I think the graphics are way too over the top for my personality and they seem to be a much more "aggressive sportbike rider" style brand. But I looked over an Airmada at a local dealer Saturday and while I didn't wear it in the store long enough to be sure, it seemed very comfortably shaped (and pleasantly light) for my head.

I understand helmet fit and preference is an deeply personal issue and largely a crapshoot, so my question is not really "will this helmet be comfortable for me" but rather does anyone in the NC community have experience using this more sportbike /track-oriented helmet in the upright riding stance and commuting /touring style of our bike? That's the area in which I'm really hoping to gain some insight into this helmet.

Is the headache from pressure of the helmet or buffeting while going down the road. I have the AT-950 as well and had some headache issues until I sorted out the windscreen. Now it's fine, although a bit noisy with the top vent open.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I haven't tried the Airmada, but I wear an Airframe (not Airframe Pro) and I love it. Never had an issue relating to riding posture, I wear it on both my NC and my Ninja and haven't noticed any issues either way.

Fair points certainly about both the inner pads and the windshield. I have considered trying a different pad set since one (two, if you think about it) of the pain points are the cheeks with how tight they are. This also causes significant fit interference with my glasses. It's something I was hoping would be a break-in issue but it isn't going away. But I also get a hot spot on my forehead and I'm not sure that new pads would change that or if it's the helmet shape being too round for me. And at 45 bucks for a new set of pads, I'd want to be pretty sure they'd solve the issue or else I'd rather put that $ toward a different helmet.

As for the windshield, buffering is present though not overly annoying with the stock screen. I have also tried the Puig Touring screen and found it to buffet significantly more. Adding an MRA X-Creen minimized buffering but interfered with my line of sight enough that I prefer the stock windshield for now. I just feel like the Scorpion is heavy and not overly aerodynamic. Turning my head to do a blind spot check on the interstate feels like it could give me whiplash at times.

Adding to my challenge is that I have a rather large head in proportion to the rest of my body. This makes it difficult for me to find a helmet that doesn't give me the bobblehead doll effect to some extent.

I haven't tried the Airmada, but I wear an Airframe (not Airframe Pro) and I love it. Never had an issue relating to riding posture, I wear it on both my NC and my Ninja and haven't noticed any issues either way.
Good to hear about the Airframe. I had never seriously considered Icon before so I'm trying to do all the research I can.

Good to hear about the Airframe. I had never seriously considered Icon before so I'm trying to do all the research I can.

If you have any specific questions, I'd be happy to answer. I know the two helmets are different and I can't really comment of the Airmada itself, but I can comment on my experience with an Icon product.

PFA

IMG_20170801_0810336[1].jpg

Fair points certainly about both the inner pads and the windshield. I have considered trying a different pad set since one (two, if you think about it) of the pain points are the cheeks with how tight they are. This also causes significant fit interference with my glasses. It's something I was hoping would be a break-in issue but it isn't going away. But I also get a hot spot on my forehead and I'm not sure that new pads would change that or if it's the helmet shape being too round for me. And at 45 bucks for a new set of pads, I'd want to be pretty sure they'd solve the issue or else I'd rather put that $ toward a different helmet.

As for the windshield, buffering is present though not overly annoying with the stock screen. I have also tried the Puig Touring screen and found it to buffet significantly more. Adding an MRA X-Creen minimized buffering but interfered with my line of sight enough that I prefer the stock windshield for now. I just feel like the Scorpion is heavy and not overly aerodynamic. Turning my head to do a blind spot check on the interstate feels like it could give me whiplash at times.

Adding to my challenge is that I have a rather large head in proportion to the rest of my body. This makes it difficult for me to find a helmet that doesn't give me the bobblehead doll effect to some extent.

The Scorpion cheek pad tightness is a known issue. I've read on several forums that many people have had the same issue. I came across one that stated that Scorpion can send you a set of thinner cheek pads for free that can solve the problem.

I have a large head also but then again I'm 6' tall. I rock a Scorpion Satellite 920, XXXL, (had to visit 3 stores to find it) and I wrote to the manufacturer because I was having the same issue. After confirming that I actually owned one of their helmets, they sent me a set of thinner cheek pads for free. I think they're covered under warranty. They worked out quite well.

If you really have issues with the bobblehead effect, I'd suggest getting a Nexx X.R2 Carbon for around $300. It's one of the lightest and safest helmets you can buy. Plus the company says that the padding can be configured to fit just about any head shape. Kills two birds with one stone.

Good luck

Techrat

I was just looking into the cheek pads. Fortunately the cheek pads are only 15 bucks, not 45 like I thought (that's the entire liner). Unfortunately, I can't get smaller pads for mine as it is a size L and the pad sizing is separate for XS-L and XL-XXXL helmet sizes. The L already has the thinnest pads that fit its shell size, according to Revzilla customer service. The guy I talked to suggested compressing them under a pile of books overnight. I may contact Scorpion directly to see if they have any better solutions.

Interesting to hear that over-tight cheek pads are common to Scorpion helmets. I thought I just had chubby cheeks lol.
The Scorpion cheek pad tightness is a known issue. I've read on several forums that many people have had the same issue. I came across one that stated that Scorpion can send you a set of thinner cheek pads for free that can solve the problem.

I have a large head also but then again I'm 6' tall. I rock a Scorpion Satellite 920, XXXL, (had to visit 3 stores to find it) and I wrote to the manufacturer because I was having the same issue. After confirming that I actually owned one of their helmets, they sent me a set of thinner cheek pads for free. I think they're covered under warranty. They worked out quite well.

If you really have issues with the bobblehead effect, I'd suggest getting a Nexx X.R2 Carbon for around $300. It's one of the lightest and safest helmets you can buy. Plus the company says that the padding can be configured to fit just about any head shape. Kills two birds with one stone.

Good luck

Techrat

Unfortunately, I also, can't specifically say anything about the Airmada itself, but a buddy and I both got Icon Alliance SSR helmets (years ago, now) and were totally happy with fit, finish, and overall day to day use. Especially based on how low the price was! I've paid over 5 times the price for a top shelf Arai, and absolutely hated it, so...

I haunted the Internet and purchased a few different sizes of replacement size cheek pads, so I can have "winter/summer" modes :)rolleyes: :eek: ) for the Alliance and my current go to helmets, an Icon Variant, and an HJC I also have.

It's awesome to have spare internal helmet bits, so you can wash old grubby sets with no down time, and always have a fresh helmet, too.

FYI, this might work for you.

Scorpion EXO-GT920 / EXO-AT950 Cheek Pads - RevZilla

Scorpion EXO-GT920 / EXO-AT950 Cheek Pads
Replacement cheek pads for Scorpion GT920 and AT-950 Helmets.

Cheek pads are only interchangeable between size XS-LG helmets and XL-3XL helmets. If you want thinner cheek pads, select a larger size since a larger size helmet has thinner pads to accommodate a larger face.

Unfortunately, since I have a size L it already has the thinnest pads that fit its shell. All the advice I've received from customer service at MotorcycleGear.com (where I bought the helmet but who doesn't for some reason sell replacement pads for it) and Revzilla is "try compressing the pads under some heavy books, otherwise you're SOL and may want to buy a different helmet." Which is disappointing.

I am pleased to see the positive comments on Icon helmets from owners, and most of all they allay my concerns that the Icon would be too "racy" styled for the NC. I feel like with the AT950 I got caught up by the cool ADV styling when I don't really need an ADV helmet, since I don't ride off road ever. Ultimately, I guess the upshot is I just don't like the AT950 all that much now that I've ridden it a bit.

I never understood or paid attention to the whole internal shape of helmets thing until recently, when I actually measured my head, found that it is rather narrow, and started looking at the "long oval" shaped helmets. For years I wore an HJC IS-16 that I impulse purchased in the middle of a trip and was quite comfortable for me despite the fact that it's supposed to be a more round helmet that shouldn't fit me all that well. Maybe I just got lucky? I just want a helmet that fits comfortably. I wouldn't mind spending some money on it if I could be sure it would work for me, but it's the crapshoot factor that bugs me. Even with doing research, to end up spending a bunch of $ on something that's non-returnable and has little or no resale potential once you use it enough to know if it's actually going to be any good for you - that's what bothers me.

I'm definitely giving serious consideration to the Airmada. Going to spend some more in-store time trying on either tonight or tomorrow.

Last edited:
I have a similar issue with my head. Long oval is the official description, but mine is more like ET's head. Two feet long and 4 inches wide.
I would try on helmets that were so tight they were crushing my forehead, but I could fit my hands up beside my ears inside the helmet.
Just to get front to back comfort, I use a XXXL in every helmet I have owned past 10 years or so.

I was told in several different shops to try Arai and Shoei, or any other brand that used long oval shells as a base. They also explained that manufacturers use one size base shell for Small, Medium, etc... and another for the largest sizes. The only differences being the padding thickness, as you already discovered.

It didn't matter, because even within a brand, each helmet fit me completely different. I finally came across the Scorpion Covert at the Cycle Gear booth at DC Motorcycle show two years ago, and it fits like a glove. I had given up before that and just resigned myself to ibuprofen to deal with headaches from ill fitting helmets.
I bought the XXXL, and surprisingly it fits in the Frunk no problem. Works well with my glasses also.

Good luck on your search!

scorpion_covert_helmet_matte_black_750x750.jpg

My spouse has an odd shaped head. I have to be careful as I type in case I am within hitting distance...She tried on every helmet manufacturer we could source locally. Nothing fit great. She settled oddly enough on a cheap Vozz helmet as it was the most comfortable for her. She can only take about an hour before it becomes uncomfortable. If she liked riding more I think the only solution I came up with was a custom helmet. In January 2015 Web Bike Wold had them at $999.95. I would think in 2018 it is well...more :)

Bell Bicycling and Motorcycle Helmets

My spouse has an odd shaped head. I have to be careful as I type in case I am within hitting distance...She tried on every helmet manufacturer we could source locally. Nothing fit great. She settled oddly enough on a cheap Vozz helmet as it was the most comfortable for her. She can only take about an hour before it becomes uncomfortable. If she liked riding more I think the only solution I came up with was a custom helmet. In January 2015 Web Bike Wold had them at $999.95. I would think in 2018 it is well...more :)

Bell Bicycling and Motorcycle Helmets

Remember, ATGAT when you are going to criticize any of your wife's body parts.

I...I was told in several different shops to try Arai and Shoei, or any other brand that used long oval shells as a base.

... I finally came across the Scorpion Covert at the Cycle Gear booth at DC Motorcycle show two years ago, and it fits like a glove.

... I bought the XXXL, and surprisingly it fits in the Frunk no problem. Works well with my glasses also.
FWIW I have an Arai Defiance Pro-Shield (not the newer Defiance X) in size L and it does NOT fit into the Frunk

Back