• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

I'd Appreciate Your Thoughts and Guidance for Consideration

If it's just the seat itself, and not knee angle (peg placement), it's not too terribly difficult to make a seat that would be very comfortable for her. You'd have to be willing to fiddle around and try various foams and such, though. If the pegs are in an uncomfortable place for her, that's a completely different matter.

FWIW--
For both my wife and me, the Goldwing seats would have to be replaced instantly, so for us a Goldwing would NOT solve the problem. The VFR1100X was a bike I was always very interested in, but again it would have needed a seat replacement. In fact, I can't think of a Honda motorcycle newer than Woodstock (my former Magna ('90s-era VF750)) that has a seat that is acceptable in even the most basic way. ALL of them absolutely require seat replacement for either of us. With that in mind, seat replacement is a vastly easier and more cost-effective way to address her desire than to get another bike that still needs a seat replacement. ...for us...

Thanks again to 670cc and the Ferret and Alias for continuing comments, as well as those added by MZ5. The responses of members of this forum have and continue to prove to be invaluable as they always do. In my eagerness to attain the goal of riding "2" with my wife I have obviously rushed through doing a structured assessment of my options before getting to the decision-point which will undoubtedly be decided by my wife. Thanks so much to everyone thus far.
In addition to what others have suggested I consider it comes to mind that I should also ask - (1) what is the total weight of a rider, passenger, accessories and luggage that can be carried by a stock NC750xd?

Last edited:
Thanks again to 670cc and the Ferret and Alias for continuing comments, as well as those added by MZ5. The responses of members of this forum have and continue to prove to be invaluable as they always do. In my eagerness to attain the goal of riding "2" with my wife I have obviously rushed through doing a structured assessment of my options before getting to the decision-point which will undoubtedly be decided by my wife. Thanks so much to everyone thus far.
In addition to what others have suggested I consider it comes to mind that I should also ask - (1) what is the total weight of a rider, passenger, accessories and luggage that can be carried by a stock NC750xd?
The passenger and cargo weight capacity rating can be found in your NC's owner's manual. For my 2012, it's 430 pounds (195 kg). At one time I checked and according to Honda's numbers, the NC700X actually had a slightly higher weight carrying capacity than the GL1800. But those numbers don't really tell the whole story. The Goldwing can haul that weight with much more ease, control, and comfort than the NC can, in my opinion.

Looking at the NC7_0X, the weak point may be the soft stock rear shock spring. A sagging rear end can alter the steering geometry and cause handling issues. An aftermarket shock can help there.

Reactions: MZ5
The passenger and cargo weight capacity rating can be found in your NC's owner's manual. For my 2012, it's 430 pounds (195 kg). At one time I checked and according to Honda's numbers, the NC700X actually had a slightly higher weight carrying capacity than the GL1800. But those numbers don't really tell the whole story. The Goldwing can haul that weight with much more ease, control, and comfort than the NC can, in my opinion.

Looking at the NC7_0X, the weak point may be the soft stock rear shock spring. A sagging rear end can alter the steering geometry and cause handling issues. An aftermarket shock can help there.
Thanks for directing me to the answer 670cc. I was looking in the wrong place - in the Service Manual rather than the Owners Manual; found it on page 180. You may find it interesting to know that the weight capacity (rider, passenger, luggage and accessories) continues to be 430 lbs (195kg) - identical to that of your 2012.

As you've identified I recall reading previous threads in the forums about the potential limitations of the stock suspension: members describing their feelings and adaptations to the rear shock/suspension. as well as postings from members who made changes (sometimes) in both rear shock and front forks.

As always 670cc thank-you.

Thanks for your reply Griff. Frankly I didn't think about the African Twin or VFR but will have to familiarize myself with those bikes.
To answer your question it's the NC pillion seat, she is willing to try other bikes, and I like to think that it's more a matter of us being together on a bike.

I think restriction to DCT prevents You possibly getting the right bike. I have had a Goldwing previously for two up touring and it was a truly great motorcycle, but age plus my small stature caught up with me and I had to part with it after 10 years. My current two up bike is a '16 Strom. It has a decent pillion seat and the addition of a top box for support has the Wife happy. As far as I can see the 650 version is similar in size and ergos, so it too should be a good two up bike.

Recently my wife surprised me and said that she would like to go riding with me. However she refuses to even attempt to use the pillion seat nor does she wish to get her own MC or license.
I have my 2021 Honda NC750xd for a little over a year now and am really enjoying the ride, literally and figuratively but as much as I do I can't pass up the chance to go riding with my wife now and then.
I'd like to continue with a DCT motorcycle and therefore I'd like to ask the more knowledgeable and experienced members of the forum what years/models I should consider for a comfortable ride for 2?
As always thanks in advance for your guidance.
Knowing you guys in the U.S. pay a pittance for insurance compared to Canada, I’d personally keep the Nc and buy a cheap used cruiser bike with the usual big back seat and backrest. Even up here I’ve seen excellent cruisers for sale for around $3500 Canadian.

Its likely she’s only going to want to go for short trips, now and then, so why sell a bike you like on the off chance she’ll want to do more?

I think restriction to DCT prevents You possibly getting the right bike. I have had a Goldwing previously for two up touring and it was a truly great motorcycle, but age plus my small stature caught up with me and I had to part with it after 10 years. My current two up bike is a '16 Strom. It has a decent pillion seat and the addition of a top box for support has the Wife happy. As far as I can see the 650 version is similar in size and ergos, so it too should be a good two up bike.
II can't say that you're wrong Griff. I will check the V-Strom 650 however I don't foresee the parameters for consideration changing. Thanks again for your input.

Knowing you guys in the U.S. pay a pittance for insurance compared to Canada, I’d personally keep the Nc and buy a cheap used cruiser bike with the usual big back seat and backrest. Even up here I’ve seen excellent cruisers for sale for around $3500 Canadian.

Its likely she’s only going to want to go for short trips, now and then, so why sell a bike you like on the off chance she’ll want to do more?
Yes something to consider. Thanks for your input Gixus.

I’m chiming in late, but my wife seems to be about the same parameters as your wife. My wife has ridden on every motorcycle with me from 1000cc supersports with teeny seats that could barely be considered a seat to little 50cc mopeds. My wife’s favorite seats were in order, the klr 650 (2019 model) because it was big and cushy like a 4 wheeler seat, the 2008 ninja 250 because it was wide and cushy and then the nc750. She likes the nc seat for less than 2 hour trips. The grab handles are excellent for her and she always says that this is the smoothest motorcycle she has ever been on. She doesn’t feel the vibrations or the motor in the rear which is why she likes it so much.

The absolute worst motorcycle was a 2009 cbr 600. The under tail exhaust was warm and when the revs were up past 6k, the passenger seat became a vibrating means of numbness.

I have thought about putting a gell cushion on the rear seat just to provide more surface area for her weight to distribute. I’ve even mentioned a back rest for her but she said it wasn’t needed due to the smoothness of the bike and it’s fairly tame acceleration. She did not like riding cruisers with me because the vibration and rattling were too extreme.

I’m chiming in late, but my wife seems to be about the same parameters as your wife. My wife has ridden on every motorcycle with me from 1000cc supersports with teeny seats that could barely be considered a seat to little 50cc mopeds. My wife’s favorite seats were in order, the klr 650 (2019 model) because it was big and cushy like a 4 wheeler seat, the 2008 ninja 250 because it was wide and cushy and then the nc750. She likes the nc seat for less than 2 hour trips. The grab handles are excellent for her and she always says that this is the smoothest motorcycle she has ever been on. She doesn’t feel the vibrations or the motor in the rear which is why she likes it so much.

The absolute worst motorcycle was a 2009 cbr 600. The under tail exhaust was warm and when the revs were up past 6k, the passenger seat became a vibrating means of numbness.

I have thought about putting a gell cushion on the rear seat just to provide more surface area for her weight to distribute. I’ve even mentioned a back rest for her but she said it wasn’t needed due to the smoothness of the bike and it’s fairly tame acceleration. She did not like riding cruisers with me because the vibration and rattling were too extreme.
Thanks for your comments Bskicrash1, no sharing is ever too late for valuable consideration. I am glad to have everyone's input because among other things it has brought me back to the realization that in my hope for a quick and easy resolution a stepwise approach to considering what will work for us will take a bit longer than I had first hoped. And that's okay because of the sage advice I received from everyone the final decisions my wife and I will make will be much better than my first approach to rush into it. So again my sincere thanks to everyone who helped me define a fundamentally sound manner to figure this out.

Back