• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Need Help Idiot Throttle Mistake

JohnnyAppleTree

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys, this is my first post and boy, what an embarrassing way to introduce myself. I have a 10 day trip through California planned for next week and I’m getting my new-to-me 2012 NC700x ready for the trip.
I was installing some Oxford heated grips and couldn’t get the throttle side on at all. Then I impulsively broke off the “plastic covering”. Which I immediately realized after was the throttle control ‍♂️
Now I need help fixing the throttle control and getting the grip on. Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 41
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 39
There is a used replacement on Ebay for $20 right now. After removing the rubber grip, you need to grind off the little nubs to fit the heated grips on. Plenty of videos available on line.

I have fitted Oxford grips on the NC (and on my CRF). They do fit well, but with careful filing and trimming of the throttle tube. To repair yours, you’ll need to buy either a new or used throttle tube. You can split the switch and throttle cable housing and swap the throttle cables over to the new tube. You will probably need to loosen the throttle cables to get them reattached to the new tube. Then you’ll need to adjust the two throttle cables for proper push-pull.

Just in case you were unaware, the two handgrips have different inside diameters. The larger one goes on the throttle tube side.

Welcome to the forum. I hope things improve after this bad day.

Yep, bad emoji dude!

I think 670cc's dead on here. Aftermarket throttle tubes are widely available - I used one from Motion Pro, available at a nominal price, for my OEM heated grips (it didn't have any of those damned nubs!) - but swapping over and dealing with the throttle cables was a PITA.

Have a GREAT ride.

If time forces you into a local source, my recollection is that Honda uses the same part for a large number of their bikes - it's like a "universal" part if that helps.
Thanks CapeMan, that was my original plan. But I’m hoping to find one without the knobies. Any idea if the “universal” part has them?

Thanks CapeMan, that was my original plan. But I’m hoping to find one without the knobies. Any idea if the “universal” part has them?
I do kinda remember shopping around and ultimately wound up buying a Motion Pro generic Honda throttle tube, which was "knobby-free". Drawing a blank beyond that.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. IIRC it was fairly easy to take the throttle housing on the handlebars apart - just a few screws. The difficulty, for me at least, was getting enough slack in the throttle cables to be able to get the cable ends free of the throttle tube so I could then remove and replace the throttle tube. I spent a lot of time fiddling with the cable ends on the throttle body trying to get just a little more slack in the cables. I eventually prevailed but it's a good thing I used to be a sailor 'cause I needed to deploy my entire vocabulary;). But my bike was almost new at the time so YMMV.

Can anyone confirm if it’s possible to adjust the throttle body nuts without taking off the plastics?
I have adjusted the cable nut at the throttle body but I don’t remember if I had to remove the left side plastic panel or not. You may need to do this in order to gain enough slack in the throttle cables to be able to replace the the throttle tube on the handlebar. It all depends on how much slack you can get from the adjuster up at the twist grip end of the cables.

Take a look at your bike and see if you can get access to the throttle body from the left side or not.

Last edited:
To remove the grips easier: I don't know if this has been discussed or not, but it is worth adding.
IF you have a compressor and air nozzle ( blowgun), you can carefully lift enough of the edge to get the nozzle end of the blow gun inside it. Hit the button fully, and as the grip lets go, run it around inside the grip. It'll loosen any adhesive inside, and the grip will come right off. Sometimes, adding a small diameter rigid tube to the end of the blowgun can be beneficial.

Capeman, I’ve returned from my trip and will soon be back in the old bike shed to fix up some of the results of my adventures. I’ll be sure to post photos as I’m going to take apart the assembly again.

Attachments

• C85BD509-2236-4535-B149-B6FB10358B6C.jpeg
    C85BD509-2236-4535-B149-B6FB10358B6C.jpeg
    6.1 MB · Views: 28
Back