• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Ignition Key help

CA_700

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi.
Forum newbie needs some help. Have a 2013 NC700X that I had some problems with getting the key in recently. After some jiggling, I was able to get the key but then it wouldn't come out. After some more jiggling, finally got it out but then couldn't get the key in. AT ALL. Plus I had the steering locked. Only option was to put on a dolly and haul it in to a dealer. A friend who is more mechanically inclined, helped me take the front apart and get the ignition out. Sprayed some WD40 and was able to get whatever was stuck loose but it appears that the cylinder is VERY notchy and one of the brass thingamajig pops out every now and then. I think I need/want to replace the whole thing. So my question is: do I need the whole ignition with a new key (part number 35010-MSG-A31 Lock Set) or do I just need the key cylinder (part 35100-MSG-A31 SWITCH ASSY., COMBINATION & LOCK). Am confused and looking for some help ...

Apologies for the long-winded lead up. And thanks in advance.

Try some dry graphite powder before you buy a new lock. You can find it at Ace or a big box store. Fluids like penetrating oil will gum up the mechanism, but the powder will lubricate it and not leave a residue. It's packaged in something that allows you to "blow" it into the cylinder.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Try some dry graphite powder before you buy a new lock. You can find it at Ace or a big box store. Fluids like penetrating oil will gum up the mechanism, but the powder will lubricate it and not leave a residue. It's packaged in something that allows you to "blow" it into the cylinder.

Thanks for the tip Donald4k. I did try that after finding a YouTube video on it, but it didn't help. Hence me taking the front apart to free up the lock. After spraying some WD40, I was able to get a functioning lock but am concerned that I'm going to experience further problems down the road and would rather just spring for a new lock. Time vs money consideration.

Appreciate you taking the time to respond/help.

Cheers!

On a trip, the ignition key on a friend's bike froze in one position so he bought WD-40 at a nearby store to see if that would help but it didn't so he called a local locksmith. When the locksmith arrived, he said WD-40 was not good for motorcycle ignition switches and he was a rider. He suggested using silicone spray.

Once you get the key issue resolved, make several copies of the good key! Trust me, when that key cracks and it will if you use it to open the frunk/rear seat. I know.... :)

Back