Ignition Switch Issues

fleetingyouth

Reaction score
Visit site
So I thought I was having Cold morning start issues but now I'm starting to think it might be the Ignition switch or possibly the kill switch.

On several early cold mornings, I have had trouble starting the bike. It is a new battery and I tested the voltage before and during starting both fine. There is a clicking sound when pressing the ignition switch similar to if the battery was dead. the lights all work fine and there is no dimming or flickering on the dash like when the battery is dead.

Today it was 30 out took the bike for a ride started right up. Stopped at the store bike wouldn't start. Tried several times, let it sit for a min and it started right up. Is there a way I can test to see which switch it might be? Could it still be cold related? What should I be looking at?

Thanks

Klap

Reaction score
Visit site
I am guessing you are referring to the "starter button" when you reference the "ignition switch'?
Things to check:
1. Clean the battery terminals.
2. Clean out the starter button- the contacts can corrode
3. Check battery cables for corrosion around the terminals.
4 Clean the solenoid connections.

You did not give us the year, model, and number of miles on it, which would provide some clues as to the causes, but those are the most likely.

Good luck.

Red Rider

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So I thought I was having Cold morning start issues but now I'm starting to think it might be the Ignition switch or possibly the kill switch.

On several early cold mornings, I have had trouble starting the bike. It is a new battery and I tested the voltage before and during starting both fine. There is a clicking sound when pressing the ignition switch similar to if the battery was dead. the lights all work fine and there is no dimming or flickering on the dash like when the battery is dead.

Today it was 30 out took the bike for a ride started right up. Stopped at the store bike wouldn't start. Tried several times, let it sit for a min and it started right up. Is there a way I can test to see which switch it might be? Could it still be cold related? What should I be looking at?

Thanks

Check the easy stuff first and the area most recently “touched”.

With the symptoms you describe, my money is on the battery terminals. Disconnect the terminals. Clean them and the cable ends up with a wire brush. Re-attach and get em tight.

Wedders

Reaction score
Visit site
Probably not your problem but I thought I’d throw it out there.
I had a Triumph Tiger with that problem and it was well documented that it was a long standing starter motor issue. I took mine to an expert auto electrical company who said they could see nothing wrong, so I fitted a new one and voila no more starting issues.

dduelin

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, clean and reattach the battery terminal connections and see if that helps. Or take the battery out and have it load tested at an auto parts or battery supply store. Cold temperatures place extra demand on the battery and an iffy battery, even new one, that works OK at 60-70 degrees can take a dump at 30 degrees and not start the bike. At the start of winter an iffy battery is just a replacement waiting to happen.

fleetingyouth

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks, everyone.
It is a 2013 with 20k on it. Yes, I meant the starter switch.

Had trouble starting again this morning below 30 but when I went home it started right up and it was below 30.

I'm pretty sure there isn't anything wrong with the terminals or cables at the terminal Since I checked them when I replaced the battery this summer but I will pull it out and clean and tighten everything down.
I was thinking of opening the switch housing and spraying it with electrical cleaner.

Also, I didn't use the Kill switch after I started it this morning and had no problems after stopping multiple times on the way home. So I'm wondering if maybe it is the kill switch.

670cc

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Mods
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Depending on your particular startup sequence, side stand, clutch (if yours is a manual transmission), and neutral switches could also be suspect.

However, if you hear clicking when you press the starter switch, all interlocks are probably satisfied. You may want to take a look at the starter relay connections. That relay sits to the right of the battery.

fleetingyouth

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok so the last couple of days I have not had an issue with the bike, Today went out started the bike right up first try, shut it off geared up went out and it wouldn't start at all again. Tried for 15mins.

previously after everyone's suggestions, I disconnected, cleaned the terminals, and reconnected the battery. I opened up the starter switch housing and sprayed in some electronic cleaner.

The bike has power and there is 2 distinct clicks when pressing the starter switch. I haven't been using the kill switch to try and rule that out.
If the battery was having load issues would I see a change in the voltage?

What are some other things I should look into?

davidc83

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Southern Indiana/Central Florida-part time snow bi
Visit site
test the load on the battery (if you have a volt meter-anything under 13 volts (I think) when not pressing the start button-bad...if 13 volts at that point, but when you press the start button, if it drops significantly, bad)....the battery probably dies and yes, they can die that quickly...last time I had to do a battery replacement, I rode the bike all day on a Friday, went out on Saturday morning and click click...replaced the battery (no need to check the load) and boom, started right up...