• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

I'm away from my FSM. What's code 86?

MZ5

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm getting an intermittent CEL/MIL. Haven't been able to replicate any particular operating condition to cause it at will. Today I was able to stop and put the kickstand down to read the code from the CEL/MIL (If I power off then re-start, it's gone). Code is 86. I'm away from my FSM this week so I can't look it up. Anyone willing to post the 86 code(s)?

I found a couple references to code 86-1 for the NC750X DCT. My bike is a 700 with the standard transmission.

Thanks!

86-1 Looks to be a communications error to the 'Combination meter' (instrument panel). Possibly a poor contact. The safety default for the error is 'Engine operates normally'.

Last edited:
Combination meter issues seem to be an early warning of low voltage, perhaps from a failing battery or bad connection.

Last edited:
Thanks. It would just about figure if this batt is preparing to exit. The heat where I live kills them, and letting the bike sit makes it worse, tender or no tender.

Perhaps I’d better look up the threads on here about lithium(?) batteries. I thought they were the ones that were supposed to tolerate heat much better than lead-acid.

First I’ll check batt cable connections, though.

Last edited:
Still riding. Haven’t seen the MIL since two evenings ago. I _may_ have had a slightly-barely-maybe-sorta-not-quite-fully-tight positive battery screw. I’d like to see no MIL for a couple more days before I declare victory. :)

Still no MIL. Probable victory (hopefully!) from the slight additional tension on that battery post screw.

Thanks again for the code, and thanks Greg for the info about this being tied to battery or electrical system general issues.

Back