• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Improving rear brakees

Willie

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey there Guys and Gals, has anyone figured out how to significantly improve rear brakes on a 2016 NC700X? I have never been very happy with the rear brakes, the combination of front and rear does the job, but I would like to improve the rear brakes. Any Ideas/Suggestions

Last edited:
The rear brake doen't have a whole lot of stopping power when the brake is working properly. There are a couple of things to check to make sure the brake is working properly. The first thing to check is there may be air in the system, so the brake should be bled to remove any air. A good indicator of air in the system is that the brake pedal has a mushy feel. If the pedal is solid and there's no air, try cleaning the brake rotor. Bikes are shipped from the factory with a preservative on the rotor, which is supposed to washed off when the bike is set up. If you ever ride in the rain, the water and road grit will wash it off. If not, try cleaning the rotor with brake cleaner.

I use my rear brake a fair bit in regards to timing lights and slow speed control. For serious breaking I tend to use both. The slowing shifts the weight forward increasing the front contact patch and reducing the rear.

You will hardly get additional stopping power from a rear break (due to mass transfer when breaking). The NC already has good rear break when compared to my other bikes, not sure it is worth trying to improve it further IMHO.

You may have too many car-ingrained habits so you want to use a foot brake all the time? I've followed a cruiser rider one day and noticed he only used his rear brake to slow the bike.

When the bike is being slowed by the brakes, most of the weight transfer is rear-to-front which means the rear tire becomes "unloaded." On a motorcycle, the front brake does at least 70% of the work with the rear brake making around 30%. A more powerful rear brake only means it'll be easier to lock the rear wheel when slowing - especially in a panic stop.

Last edited:
Thats not, what he asked for. The rear brake is stock very soft designed. You have to push very hard to bring rear wheel into ABS-control system. I changed the pads and it was a improvement. So, the bike stops better by using both brakes.
Thomas

He only asked "how to improve" without defining what kind of improvement he is looking for.

We logically took it as "improving stopping power", hence the response not to expect significant improvement in that area as the NC is already better than average in that area (IMHO and on comparable bikes).

Factory pads seem to be Sinter, maybe semi-sintered may provide a better feeling.

You will hardly get additional stopping power from a rear break (due to mass transfer when breaking). The NC already has good rear break when compared to my other bikes, not sure it is worth trying to improve it further IMHO.
my BMW has a much better rear brake .

Last edited:
I heard this story countless times from older students when I was an MSF instructor. In talking about an accident they'd say "...and I laid her down to avoid the crash."

When translated into what really happened, he mashed down on the rear brake with full strength, causing a rear wheel lockup, the back tried to pass the front, and the bike slid to the ground.

Last edited:
Hey Ncx tom, Yes, you are right, I was thinking of after market, larger diameter Disc, with kit to reposition the caliper.

Krampus, No ABS, but hoping for better braking, thinking after market, larger disc and caliper relocate, I aHave over 50 years riding experience, and feel the rear brake is poor, I always use both brakes.

There is a post somewhere (on this forum) where a fellow (in Asia??) found a Brembo Rear Brake Kit.......bracket, caliper, pads........not sure about the disc.......or if it was better than OEM...???

Back