• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

In need of new tires. Shinko 705s?

nChad700x

Reaction score
Visit site
I really like the look of the Shinko 705 tires and think they'd look great on my 2012 nc700x. The trouble I'm having is what size to get? I can order the stock size, 120/70/17, for the front but for the rear I can't find the stock size, 160/60/17. I can however get it in 170/60/17 or 150/70/17. Would either of these size tires work/fit ok? If so what are the advantages or disadvantages to go with either of them? Thanks for any help!

I think either size rear will fit ok. I went with the 150/70 rear tire, as that seemed to be the more common recommendation here. It works well. It's a little taller profile, so the speedometer reads a little under your actual speed. It still fit well under my SkidMarx hugger.

My experience, after 2200 miles on the 705s, was that they did notably better on gravel than street tires do, they stuck surprisingly well on paved twistees, they look bad a$$ on the NC, but they stink on tar snakes. On the snakes they want to jump back and forth side to side. I'm guessing it has something to do with the diagonal tread block pattern.

I rode with them in the rain, but didn't push it hard enough to know how they stick in the wet. They obviously have deep enough grooves to disperse water.

Last edited:
I think either size rear will fit ok. I went with the 150/70 rear tire, as that seemed to be the more common recommendation here. It works well. It's a little taller profile, so the speedometer reads a little under your actual speed. It still fit well under my SkidMarx hugger.

My experience, after 2200 miles on the 705s, was that they did notably better on gravel than street tires do, they stuck surprisingly well on paved twistees, they look bad a$$ on the NC, but they stink on tar snakes. On the snakes they want to jump back and forth side to side. I'm guessing it has something to do with the diagonal tread block pattern.

I rode with them in the rain, but didn't push it hard enough to know how they stick in the wet. They obviously have deep enough grooves to disperse water.

Ditto for me on paved, gravel, and tar snakes. On second rear and first front. I have not pushed them hard on wet roads but harder than TKC80 on front which did slip on wet roads.

I have the Shinko 705's on my DCT bike and went with the 150/70 rear as well. I swear I can hear the tires rumbling on pavement when I'm not wearing ear plugs and there seems to be a little more vibration in the bars. The tires work well for me in the dirt and in the wet. They may not stick as well as the Pilot Road 3's I used to have on the bike but they're much more durable on dirt. Some towns here in Vermont use crushed slate on their dirt roads. I had a flat on a rear PR3 from a one inch wide sliver of slate.

I would agree^^^^^^^^^^there is a slight "snow tire effect"........noise and vibration notice most at 30 MPH. Not bad but you can feel the more agreesive tread at slower speeds.

I have used both 170 and 150 and think the 150 is the best choice.

Last edited:
I myself like the Avon Trailmaster, with a tread pattern somewhat like the 705, doesn't rumble and handles tar snakes well... does a lot better on pavement dry or wet and provides good feedback. It's similar off pavement but lasts longer due to being a multi-compound tire like some of your best road tires. Costs more than the Shinko but probably makes up for it in longevity, and definitely for the extra margin it has on wet pavement.

I have about 10k miles on a set and will replace the rear soon in sunny dry Albuquerque. They are a great replacement to the Metzgers it came with. I did have to raise the front fender but it looks great and hasn't required frequent tightness checks. Think I did put some blue loctite in there. Two BIG thumbs up from me and my daily 30 mile round trip commute in mostly city traffic. They were really exciting when I first put them on,every lean was an adventure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i just put them on, and I went with the 170 rear. No issues except they do seem to be really slippery on tire snakes. They grip really really well on both the pavement and gravel. I like them better than the stock Dunlops that came on the bike. On gravel i was able to run in deep gravel with sharp turns in high speeds of over 50 mph. No issues. Just ask "DCT FAN" how Shinko 705's worked for me.. Great tire though will always buy again. Rain well i rode first week i had them in a flood type rain.. Again no issues.. I hope this helps.. i would go with the 170 rear though.

Great tire for the price! Yes tar snakes can get a little hairy and wet pavement should be handled with a little caution. Just about ready to replace the rear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Barrels of tar snakes are the official highway repair in the state of Montana.

Barrels of tar snakes are the official highway repair in the state of Montana.

I-44 had a ton of Tar Snakes on the Miami exit the last time I was on it. I was running PR4's at the time in 100 degree temps. It was like hitting ice patches while cornering.
One heck of a scary ride.

Arkansas Mount Magazine's pavement had more Tar Snakes than pavement. I'm extra careful when I see them now.

hey fiestcr, why 170 -- what would the advantages be?

I just like a wider back tire. I also have a CBR 650F and its has a wide back. Iam i can lay it way over in the twisties now. I would go for it you wont be sorry.. Oh yea in the rain i was straight lining. As usual take it easy in the corners.

I just like a wider back tire. I also have a CBR 650F and its has a wide back. Iam i can lay it way over in the twisties now. I would go for it you wont be sorry.. Oh yea in the rain i was straight lining. As usual take it easy in the corners.

I would have to try the 170 and the 150 sizes back to back to know. My thought was that the narrow tire would be more responsive.

Yeah, more tire on my lower-power dualsports didn't seem to improve a thing and in fact seemed to drag things down a little.

Back