• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Indecisive Newbie

To bring closure to this topic, I completed the purchase of the 2013 BMW F700GS yesterday morning.

It was a 250 mile trip from the North Rim of the Grand Canyon where I was a volunteer to Sedona, AZ, where the seller resided. I stopped 15 miles short at a forest campground to rest up overnight. In the morning I picked up a rented U-Haul 5’x9’ trailer w/ramp, strapped my KLX250S to one side, and onward to the seller’s custom home in one of the most beautiful desert settings on Earth. I guess owning your own vineyard pays well. ;)

Nice guy, good test ride—I definitely might fall in love with this bike—a handshake and I was off again, this time another 300 miles to just north of Yuma, AZ (actually in California, just over the Colorado River border). No drama as I towed something for the first time in my life. Thank goodness!

2342003f-5b6c-430e-b8c9-c0ff705a98e3.jpeg

Rest area off the Interstate 10 west of Phoenix, Arizona​

It was around 95F passing through the Sonoran Desert. Quite a change after 20-something lows up on North Rim. Not to mention dropping from 8300’ to near sea level in a day. I sweat a lot, drank lots of fluids. Made it by late afternoon, slept well, and turned in the one-way rental trailer this morning. What a relief that the hard parts are over!

All that’s left is a 400 mile round trip to the nearest DMV in Nevada for registration. No hurry, I can do it next week. I have the seller’s registration & plate since California doesn’t require the latter to be turned in (his main home & vineyards are in CA, thus the CA plate) . I probably won’t get hassled at the internal border control station on my way to Laughlin, NV. I do have the signed-off title and bill of sale, too.

I think I will take a little ride early tomorrow when it’s cool. I was too busy all morning with the trailer return & shopping &etc. and now it’s way too burning hot, alas. Can’t wait!

Last edited:
Ride ON Dell. I have a great friend up here in northern Idaho that is just getting ready to leave for the winter and head down there to Sedona in a couple of days. :{P

Ride ON Dell. I have a great friend up here in northern Idaho that is just getting ready to leave for the winter and head down there to Sedona in a couple of days. :{P
Nice place to winter, though too rich for my blood. Your friend is fortunate. :cool:

Yah he's pretty cool guy, a minimalist to be sure! He lives out of his little van that he has converted to mini RV and he absolutely loves it. He lives on about $350@ month up here and boondocks a lot! It is perfect for him, sadly no room for a motorcycle though. I tried several times to get him to let me attach a nice MC to the rer of that thing, but he just wasn't bitting on that one! Best of luck to you Dell, have a great winter down there! :{)

Yah he's pretty cool guy, a minimalist to be sure! He lives out of his little van that he has converted to mini RV and he absolutely loves it. He lives on about $350@ month up here and boondocks a lot! It is perfect for him, sadly no room for a motorcycle though. I tried several times to get him to let me attach a nice MC to the rer of that thing, but he just wasn't bitting on that one! Best of luck to you Dell, have a great winter down there! :{)
Hm, on second thought Sedona can get chilly in the winter. Perhaps that’s a first stop along his travels to lower altitudes? I bet he’ll head for the Rubber Tramp Rendezvous gathering at Quartzsite, AZ, in January. I did that once in 2013 when there were about 50 people, tops. Now I hear there are many thousands.

Too crowded up Quartzsite way for me—hundreds of thousands of Snowbird RVers every winter, big RV show and marketplace as well. Something you do once then never again, if you’re like me. ;)

I prefer the Yuma area:
5e87447c-6a89-40c7-b277-754c20d74e90.jpeg

The Long Term Visitor Area (LTVA) here has very limited space for vandwellers who aren’t fully self-contained—they have to cluster within 500 ft of a couple of restrooms by the rules—and it’s a good 25 miles to shopping & services, which small rigs will need to drive frequently, destroying the frugality.

For folks like me it’s ideal, however. :cool:

Back