• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Initial Service Roundup...

TechiePilot

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Its that time of my bike's life whereby it requires some 'attention' following the first 600 miles (I think it was closer to 800 when I arrived).... Yesterday I dropped it off at a nearby Honda dealer for them to give it a once over. This is not the same dealership I purchased it from, but its still Honda. I'm told it should be ready for pickup later the following day. The garage looks so 'empty' without it.

I'm a tinkerer, not to the extent of doing oil/filter changes, but I'm happy fiddling with everything else. The bike is just so darned compact, there doesn't seem to be much for me to mess with just yet, other than adding more lighting perhaps ;-))).

How have your service visits been? If you're a Do-It-Yourselfer, please feel free to share your experiences + pics too. Maybe I will feel empowered...

Last edited:
I do my own service as well. This bike is very easy to do service to if you are so inclined. The only issue I had was that Honda used a gorilla to install the oil filter at the factory. In other words it was very tight.

I will do my valve inspection myself as well. The only thing you have to remove to get to the valve cover is the radiator. By the time the valve service is due it will be time to change the coolant anyway so the radiator will be empty from that.

Well, my service experience with dealerships aren't all that good, and since I'm a sort of tinkerer in my own right, feel better about doing my own service work. I've already picked up 4 filters from an on line source (HF-204) and 4 quarts to do the first service. I've had my bike returned from service work at the dealership and had to actually finish the job they left incomplete.

I did my own oil/filter change gpd211 is right. King Kong torqued my filter down so tight that I destroyed it taking it off.
I'm also one to do the service myself, but went and let the Honda service tech do the rest. I may need them one day and I threw them a bone, for later support if needed.
They charged $30.00 and the full first service would have only cost $60.00 oil/ filter included.
Cheap huh!

I did my own oil/filter change gpd211 is right. King Kong torqued my filter down so tight that I destroyed it taking it off.
I'm also one to do the service myself, but went and let the Honda service tech do the rest. I may need them one day and I threw them a bone, for later support if needed.
They charged $30.00 and the full first service would have only cost $60.00 oil/ filter included.
Cheap huh!

I simply LOVE it when folks here start to speak like this (me)...

Perhaps they wanted you to go back to them to take off the filter...they can then charge you again.

Well I paid them 30 bucks to look it over, just in-case any warranty issues ever came up. At least they know my face and bike.
The guys at the shop seemed to understand that like doing my own maintenance. They like whats best for their bikes also.
I need to get a bike lift soon!

I do all my own service with the following exception: I can't change tires on my Goldwing 1800. I take the wheels to an independent shop for tire mounting, then balance them myself.

My motorcycles never see the dealer again except for safety recalls or catastrophic warranty problems (extremely rare).

The initial service on my NC700X was an oil/filter change and a chain adjustment that cost me about $13. And like others have said the oil filter was TIGHT from Honda. Of the hundred fifty or so filters I've probably changed in my day, this ranks right up there with the tightest.

Greg

Last edited:
I do all my own service with the following exception: I can't change tires on my Goldwing 1800. I take the wheels to an independent shop for tire mounting, then balance them myself.

My motorcycles never see the dealer again except for safety recalls or catastrophic warranty problems (extremely rare).

The initial service on my NC700X was an oil/filter change and a chain adjustment that cost me about $13. And like others have said the oil filter was TIGHT from Honda. Of the hundred fifty or so filters I've probably changed in my day, this ranks right up there with the tightest.

Greg

Second person to say the filter was tight. Perhaps it was the back-pressure from this Honda-Jazz engine?
Any mechanical or motor-scientist answers to why it is so damm tight?
I usually hand-tighten my oil-filters. I mean I know what is "enough". And if it leaks, then out comes the torquey wrench. (right, Lee? :p )

But I think I am going to sit back, and let the boys at Honda Garage do ALL the maintenance for this bike. Me, time is too precious for me to do it on my own. I'd rather be sipping a Cuppacino or Latte Machiato.

Just did the 600 mile 'service' myself. Here's what's on the original filter: Not very helpful in my opinion!

DSC_0064.jpg

And here's a cross reference from Hiflofiltro of bike fitment for anyone interested;

DSC_0063.jpg

As shown, I used a Hiflofiltro HF-204. I've used Hiflo in every bike I've owned and feel I've given it my best at a price I'm comfortable with. I know there's a large inventory of filters to choose from we all have our favorites. And the oil? It's within the specifications of what the owner's manual calls for.

Oh yeah! And the same gorilla that tightened everyone else's filter, tightened mine. The dent in the filter pictured above is on the other side. I used a strap type filter wrench to remove it.

Back