• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Initial thoughts newbie rider

JPD750

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey all,

I’ve had my 2021 NC DCT for a few days now. I’ve done some around town riding and as I’m still very new to riding, I’m trying to get a feel for the bike and get comfortable with the controls, riding position etc. I decided to take the commuter plunge yesterday which was a big reason for my purchase. The fuel economy and storage on the NC were a no brained for this.

I’m about 35 miles west of Chicago-where I work. I wasn’t confident in expressway speeds so I took the main roads until I got closer to the city at which point there is steady traffic on 290E and I got on. Approaching 8 or so miles outside of downtown traffic speeds picked up and I was in the 50+mph zone. The wind off my chest and helmet was definitely affecting my confidence. I had several spots where I had to let off and refocus. I got off 290 as I got within a few miles of my destination and finished my journey on main and side streets.

The NC really shines in the city. Especially the DCT. Being able to just roll on and off the throttle while maneuvering around turning vehicles and double parked cars is a dream.

On my trip home things were very interesting. At that hour drivers on 290w often going 80mph and some more while weaving in and out of lanes. I stuck to the right lane and stayed on just long enough to get through some of the areas you may not want to find yourself riding through. As I got closer to home I could see a thunderstorm forming and active in my path.

As I was within 10 miles from my home it was storming hard. I pulled over. Set to rain mode. Checked weather to see if I could wait it out. I was looking at an hour of this storm. I decided to give it a shot. It was very late and almost no vehicles on the road. Hazard lights on and traveling at about 20-30 the rest of the way I got home soaked, but safe.

I want to get more comfortable at higher speeds. Hoping a taller windscreen will help with that. Also looking to pick up a top box so I can be more prepared for storms with rain gear on board.

I got to experience a lot of riding in 1 trip. The bike didn’t let me down.

Congrats on the successful journey. Good reminder. Sometimes us old time riders forget how intimidating first rides in differing conditions can be.

Even with 56 years of street riding experience I have no desire to ride in Chicago traffic again!

. . . The wind off my chest and helmet was definitely affecting my confidence. . . .

I want to get more comfortable at higher speeds. Hoping a taller windscreen will help with that. Also looking to pick up a top box so I can be more prepared for storms with rain gear on board.
Seriously consider Madstad for your windscreen. They make them in multiple sizes, go to their website and have suggestions on height of screen for the height of the rider. It is designed to be looked over, not thru. But it will deflect the wind over the top of your helmet and you will ride in a quiet air bubble.

I have Hepco & Becker GOBI cases on my bike and would highly recommend the brand. Expensive but worth it. You can save a bundle by buying from an overseas supplier and shipping them to the US. My wife also rides a NC and she has GIVI side cases. They are reasonably well made, far more popular and easier to find, I just don't like them as much and don't think they are made as well.

Customize your bike to suit you. Ultimately you are the only one you need to please.

Mine is the red one, her's is the black one.
tempImageYhs0qj.jpg

Congrats on the successful journey. Good reminder. Sometimes us old time riders forget how intimidating first rides in differing conditions can be.

Even with 56 years of street riding experience I have no desire to ride in Chicago traffic again!
It’s worse than ever really.

Seriously consider Madstad for your windscreen. They make them in multiple sizes, go to their website and have suggestions on height of screen for the height of the rider. It is designed to be looked over, not thru. But it will deflect the wind over the top of your helmet and you will ride in a quiet air bubble.

I have Hepco & Becker GOBI cases on my bike and would highly recommend the brand. Expensive but worth it. You can save a bundle by buying from an overseas supplier and shipping them to the US. My wife also rides a NC and she has GIVI side cases. They are reasonably well made, far more popular and easier to find, I just don't like them as much and don't think they are made as well.

Customize your bike to suit you. Ultimately you are the only one you need to please.

Mine is the red one, her's is the black one.
View attachment 45911
Love the color match! Thanks for the recommendations. I will check them out.

Get out on weekends and ride that puppy, preferably out and away from the zoo of the city. Put in some serious miles every weekend so you’ll get to ”know” your bike. Once you’ve logged a few thousand miles your confidence will increase as you become an experienced rider-my hats off to you for even attempting Chicago traffic, I’ve been riding for 54 years and can’t imagine a scenario that would get me in Chicago traffic on two wheels

100% agree on the Madstead screen. I love mine. It will keep the wind and much of the rain off of you. The little side fins keep your frunk door from being picked up and thumping you in the chest when it’s not latched. They are made of thick plastic and do not flex like many windshields do. They are high quality. Mine is 22inch as I am 6’1”. BTW It is adjustable both up and down and tilt angle. Not many windshields can do that and it is quick and easy. Just dont adjust while riding. You will find an adjustment just right for you. Most other windshields its “what you got is what you are stuck with”. They are worth the money.

If you have not taken a riding course then you need to. Your riding confidence, safety and skill with grow quickly.

I hope you enjoy your bike as much as I do mine. Love that DCT

PS raingear is worth it too.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 4
And get and WEAR the best riding gear you can afford. Good gear will protect you from the elements and in case of a crash. ATGATT-if it’s too hot for the gear it’s too hot to ride. Look hard at an airbag vest or jacket. The life you save may be your own.

100% agree on the Madstead screen. I love mine. It will keep the wind and much of the rain off of you. The little side fins keep your frunk door from being picked up and thumping you in the chest when it’s not latched. They are made of thick plastic and do not flex like many windshields do. They are high quality. Mine is 22inch as I am 6’1”. BTW It is adjustable both up and down and tilt angle. Not many windshields can do that and it is quick and easy. Just dont adjust while riding. You will find an adjustment just right for you. Most other windshields its “what you got is what you are stuck with”. They are worth the money.

If you have not taken a riding course then you need to. Your riding confidence, safety and skill with grow quickly.

I hope you enjoy your bike as much as I do mine. Love that DCT

PS raingear is worth it too.
Thanks for some more selling points on the screen. I’m 6’3” so adjusting high up would be necessary. I did take a safety class to get my motorcycle endorsement a few years back. I think I may take it again as a refresher. There was tons of great info in that course and the instructor was a great guy. I plan on spending as many hours as I can on this thing to bond with it and learn it’s manners.

And get and WEAR the best riding gear you can afford. Good gear will protect you from the elements and in case of a crash. ATGATT-if it’s too hot for the gear it’s too hot to ride. Look hard at an airbag vest or jacket. The life you save may be your own.
I’m currently looking into some new helmets. I’m wearing an LS2 modular at the moment. I have a decent summer jacket with elbow and back pads. Also have set of over pants I’m wearing with good knee protection. I’m shopping out some lighter weight gear that still offers great protection. I have a family-no chances above the inherited risk present in riding.

I’ve ridden for a long long time, and bikes don’t scare me-cars, with their texting/cell phone talking drivers scare the heck out of me. Be SAFE. Good gear is critical. You’ll never here any rider who’s had an accident say he had too much/too good of gear on..

Back