• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Injector cleaners?

rippin209

Reaction score
Visit site
My mechanical knowledge is mostly old school V8 type stuff and most anything other then your basic fluids caused more problems then they fixed.

With the watery crap they sale for gas now days I logically get the idea of fuel stabilizers and injector cleaners and such but I've got no experience with them.

Care to share your opinions and recommendations please?

I don't use them or recommend them. I buy name brand fuel and keep it moving through the engines I own.

On the Honda auto side Chevron TECHRON was the only product that was recommended. It was common recommendation on the tech assistance line. Is rare to find any recommendations in written documentation on any aftermarket products.

Most manufacturers just say no to all aftermarket products in the tank and devices or services like fluid flushes.

Last edited:
I use a fuel stabilizer before storing the NC for winter. The snake oil I use is ‘Sea Foam’ which according to it’s MSDS is kerosene, naphtha & isopropyl alcohol. The idea being it keeps any water in solution rather than settling out and causing running problems in the spring. Same for the snowblower & lawnmower off season. When the bike is in regular use I don’t bother.

For bike storage I used PRI-G for years and just started using Marine Stabil this year (based on a coworker’s recommendation and availability at Walmart). I put it in and top off the tank, then ride home and store the bike for the winter.

For long term storing gas for mower and generator, I’ve also started using 1oz of TCW-3 2-cycle oil per 5gal can of gasoline in addition to the fuel stabilizer. My mower, blower and generator have been starting a lot easier in the spring. The small amount of oil helps prevent corrosion and lubricates the intake valves to prevent sticking. The TCW-3 is ‘ashless’ and burns clean.

For normal every day use, I just use quality pump gas, no additives.

Be careful with Chevron Techron. It is a great cleaner, but there are warnings on the bottle to use before an oil change. Seems like they want you to burn a tank full then change the oil to flush out any chemical residues.

JT

I use Stabil in my equipment that is sitting for long periods of time. I use Marvel Mystery Oil in my truck and occasionally in my bike to clean injectors. I have noticed no difference in the bike since I don't put that many miles on the bike, but with my higher miles truck it does seem to help if I use a regular dose of the MMO in the fuel.

Most additives are sold to make you feel good that you “did something” for your engine, but the main purpose of the products is to lighten your wallet. I would only use an injector cleaner if I had symptoms of fouled injectors and as a last ditch effort before pulling them off and replacing them. For routine use, I wouldn’t waste my money.

Most additives are sold to make you feel good that you “did something” for your engine, but the main purpose of the products is to lighten your wallet. I would only use an injector cleaner if I had symptoms of fouled injectors and as a last ditch effort before pulling them off and replacing them. For routine use, I wouldn’t waste my money.

^^ I agree

I have had good luck with Chevron Techron and have seen the cleaning effect on plugs and pistons (I assume the injectors were also cleaned). With that said, it was on older cars that had symptoms. Once clean, using quality gasoline will help keep the engine clean for a long time. Injector cleaner doesn’t give a benefit in an already clean engine.
I typically run some Techron through the cars every 40k - 50k miles or so. Afterwards I notice it idles better at stoplights (very slight improvement). More often than that I didn’t see an improvement.

JT

What is interesting..............Many of use ethanol free fuel during long term storage and pay extra to get pure gas. Some products like Sea Foam has alcohol as main ingredient.

If you want to clean carbon off of pistons and valves, IMO your best option is water. I know it sounds funny...

If I had an engine prone to carbon buildup, I'd install a semi-permanent setup so I could do water injection when I wanted to. A small hose running from the intake (preferably after the TB), normally capped. When it's time to clean things up get the bike nice and hot, and then connect the hose to a water reservoir - preferably while riding at a decent throttle position. Obviously you don't want an excessive flow rate, but that's unlikely to happen with a small hose.

Fuel injectors are a different story though.

If you want to clean carbon off of pistons and valves, IMO your best option is water. I know it sounds funny...

If I had an engine prone to carbon buildup, I'd install a semi-permanent setup so I could do water injection when I wanted to. A small hose running from the intake (preferably after the TB), normally capped. When it's time to clean things up get the bike nice and hot, and then connect the hose to a water reservoir - preferably while riding at a decent throttle position. Obviously you don't want an excessive flow rate, but that's unlikely to happen with a small hose.

Fuel injectors are a different story though.
I've used water on old carburetor engines.
Get engine up to operating temp, turn the idle up a little, hold the butterfly open with a screw driver and use a rag or sponge to drop water into the carburetor, use enough water it makes a difference in how the engines running without stalling or causing so much ping or misfire you mess up the internals.

Like you said, fuel injection is different so I'm thinking of running a bottle of Techron and then a 4oz. Bottle of Red Line through the gas tank a week before my next oil change.
I use around two and a half gallons of gas a day for a four day work week, I figure I'll add 1/4 of the Techron bottle before fill up and the next Monday fill up I'll add the Red Line, then change fluids that Friday.

Last edited:
Carbon buildup on pistons and valves is a thing on all engines. That's what water will clean. I question how much a fuel system treatment will do there.

Gummy fuel residue is the main problem on the fuel delivery component, whether it's EFI or carb. The water is unlikely to touch that.

Carbon buildup on pistons and valves is a thing on all engines. That's what water will clean. I question how much a fuel system treatment will do there.

Gummy fuel residue is the main problem on the fuel delivery component, whether it's EFI or carb. The water is unlikely to touch that.
On my old truck and car engines I did that to they had so much carbon build up (mostly in the heads) that oil didn't circulate property.
I've never had fuel problems on an old vehicle, carburetors suck air and gas down like a toilet bowl, besides changing jets is almost always easier then changing injectors.

The fuel and the engines have changed a lot and now, at least in the short term that residue is more likely to be a problem I think

Back