• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Installed the Givi Chain Guard

SilverRocket

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I got tired of all the mud that would splash all over the underside of my bike, so got the Givi chain guard that includes a hugger from a web site called Tour & Ride:
https://tourandride.com/index.php?o..._id=1056&virtuemart_product_id=818&Itemid=132

I wasn't too thrilled with the installation instructions, and unfortunately it arrived with these same illiterate instructions. Not any words, just pictures and numbers. To make things worse it was missing some parts. And no videos on Youtube either.

I did the best I could. It didn't allow me to reuse the original bolts. I had to remove 2 on the left side, which hold the stock cover, but the Givi part requires a spacer for one bolt on that side. Than I had to remove 2 bolts on the right side that were around the brake line and install screw-in spacers. The bolts took a long time to screw in, with the limited space. I think it's time to get new ratcheting box wrenches.
The plastic washers were supposed to slot inside the holes, but one didn't.
I like the look and I took my bike out for a 160 mile ride up to Ojai and it's held on well, with no rubbing.

Not sure I can recommend a product that arrives with parts missing, and removing it for cleaning will be a royal pain, so if you've had better experiences with other parts post that here.

Attachments

• chain guard3.jpg
    chain guard3.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 245
  • chain guard2.jpg
    chain guard2.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 234
Looks great!

But what you’ll probably find now is the mud is still splashed all over the underside of the bike, in addition to being on the top of the hugger. The typical hugger does not extend far enough over the wheel to stop the spray. Water and dirt are still coming off the wheel under the bike fender and some is deposited on top of the hugger. On the plus side it may keep some of the spray from directly hitting the rear shock.

Honda does include a stock hugger on the CB300, but fails to provide one for the NC. I think it looks better with a hugger, but if Honda had lowered the a$s end of the NC and provided a proper fender, that would have been far better. Then they could have even enlarged the fuel tank.

Last edited:
Looks good, although I prefer the Skidmarx version as it provides more coverage over the rear wheel thus providing more protection. That being said Greg's point is quite accurate in that it doesn't fully eliminate splashes from the underside of the bike, but it does reduce it - at least on mine!! It also helped that the Skidmarx came with all of the parts and decent instructions. The most time consuming step was that it arrived in glossy black (only option) and I wanted it matte, so had to scuff it up and re-spray it (a few times!!). I'm happy with the result though.

As long as you like the way it looks then it's a win in your book, and if it actually performs or serves at least some purpose then even better!!

2016-09-24-17.27.51-web.jpg

2016-09-24-17.28.16-web.jpg

I needed some missing parts for a Givi item
I called US customer service and they shipped them immediately

Back