• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Installing a left rear brake lever on NX750x DCT

auldain

Reaction score
Visit site
Disabled rider (limited strength in right foot) has a problem operating the rear brake pedal. Has anyone successfully converted their NC750X DCT to install a rear brake lever on the handlebars, as seen on the Integra super scooter. My concern is the integration with the ABS, and the brake lights. There may of course be other solutions perhaps a clutch lever and cable, operating a lever attached to the rear brake pedal or rear master cylinder (like the Ox Brake system). In fact any solutions that work would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Auldain there's some info on this on the UK NC700x forum. Some suggested Integra parts, others used BMW/KTM levers with their own plumbing. So yes it can be done.

I've thought about this for a different reason on my 2013 DCT model but looking at the left side of the non-standard handlebar, there isn't any room for an additional mount between the grip and the parking brake mechanism. It might be easier on the straighter, standard handlebar but the ergos on that one were all wrong for me.

I tried it on my DCT. I replaced the Parking Brake lever with a clutch lever and mirror mount from a Honda 1100. Then I reused the parking brake cable. It didn't fit just right but well enough to test the concept. I was looking for some way to control the rear wheel on steep descents where I couldn't necessarily keep my right foot on the pedal. (Think off camber/side hill where the left side is downhill) What I found was that although it would actuate the lever, the leverage/throw was insufficient to actually provide much braking force. I "think" a hydraulic solution is in order, but haven't figured out where to source the parts and how that will actually work with the plumbing. I have seen the scooter transplants and may follow that path at some point.

...Has anyone successfully converted their NC750X DCT to install a rear brake lever on the handlebars,...

Yes, I did this modification twice - in NC700XD and CTX700ND.
My modification was to connect the braided brake line from the left-hand master cylinder to the ABS module in place of the brake line from the rear brake master cylinder. And I moved the parking brake on the 7/8 "crossbar. (The GIVI Smart Bar can be a good example.) I used a master cylinder and a brake handle from the 2010 Honda Silver Wing, complete with a brake light switch.
I must say that such a modification of brakes is here, in the US, not in full compliance with the applicable regulations (in other words - illegal). It is permitted to install the left-hand rear brake as a supplemental to the existing one but not as a replacement.
As an additional solution check this link to the modification of the rear brake in the Honda Africa Twin.

YouTube

If I were to do it and I'm not, I'd try to use the parking brake caliper to do the slowing because it would only be used at very low speeds.

If I were to do it and I'm not, I'd try to use the parking brake caliper to do the slowing because it would only be used at very low speeds.

Do you mean of slowing or stopping of 800 lbs of weight in motion with hand operated parking brake, with tiny brake pads and locking mechanism? Yes, I tried that... only ones.

Do you mean of slowing or stopping of 800 lbs of weight in motion with hand operated parking brake, with tiny brake pads and locking mechanism? Yes, I tried that... only ones.

If I was using the clutch lever to activate the parking brake, it would just be to give slow speed control. Certainly couldn’t be used as a substitute for the hydro rear brake.

I've thought about this for a different reason on my 2013 DCT model but looking at the left side of the non-standard handlebar, there isn't any room for an additional mount between the grip and the parking brake mechanism. It might be easier on the straighter, standard handlebar but the ergos on that one were all wrong for me.

Can the parking brake mechanism not simply be wiggled further down the bars towards the clamps to create the space for the lefthand brake clamp?

If I was using the clutch lever to activate the parking brake, it would just be to give slow speed control. Certainly couldn’t be used as a substitute for the hydro rear brake.

Would be the cheapest option (just buy a clutch lever + perch etc. It does leave the issue of locking the clutch lever when the parking brake is actually used when parking. Any solutions out there?

Velcro strap around the lever or a wedge in the pivot point. The 50cc Honda scooter (Fit in Canada, Metropolitan in the States) had a locking rear brake lever- but it is a cable, not hydraulic system

Here's another idea from a different direction. Honda made available a left foot shifting pedal for the DCT bikes around the time the bikes were first introduced. I guess to get people who were not comfortable with the push button manual shifting to buy the bike. Using that left side pedal and and the right side cabling might work.

/Edit

Here we go. I found the videos where the left foot shifter is featured:

In an accent you might be familiar with:
YouTube

From JustPlainBill0:
1 - YouTube

2 - YouTube

3 - YouTube

And a thread here that features the Honda parts numbers:
NC700x DCT Foot Pedal Shift Kit for sale

Good Luck.

Last edited:

Forget about using the parking brake for anything except to secure your motorcycle when parking.

7B477A2B-626F-4813-B16A-5043DA5432E1.jpg
I tried it on my DCT. I replaced the Parking Brake lever with a clutch lever and mirror mount from a Honda 1100. Then I reused the parking brake cable. It didn't fit just right but well enough to test the concept. I was looking for some way to control the rear wheel on steep descents where I couldn't necessarily keep my right foot on the pedal. (Think off camber/side hill where the left side is downhill) What I found was that although it would actuate the lever, the leverage/throw was insufficient to actually provide much braking force. I "think" a hydraulic solution is in order, but haven't figured out where to source the parts and how that will actually work with the plumbing. I have seen the scooter transplants and may follow that path at some point.
How easy was it to remove the original parking brake lever assembly? Is it held on with a slip clamp or did you have to remove the grip and switch assembly to allow the HB lever to be sipped off. Clearly if it has the convenience of a split clamp removing it will be a doddle. What did you do with the wiring (engine start disabler??) that goes into the switch on the HB assembly.
I’ve been reflecting on my original idea of re-siting the hydro’s to the handlebar and instead have, given I really just need a stabalising brake to counter forward motion and give some control on uphill junctions, to instead simply removing the existing HB entirely and fitting a cable lever assembly from a Honda or Suzuki Quad (see image attached) have a separate catch to lock the lever into place and allows it to act as a parking brake lever. This method would also require no hydro issues and would also allow a free hand when riding to easy access to the gear paddles - a left mounted rear brake lever might possibly create problems when using the lever and trying to change gear at the same time.
Get back to me the removal question as I can find nothing online or on YouTube. Cheers

Last edited:
... a left mounted rear brake lever might possibly create problems when using the lever and trying to change gear at the same time...

I have no problem using left-hand rear brake and downshift gear at the same time.

Rear Brake 101.jpg

Yes, I did this modification twice - in NC700XD and CTX700ND.
My modification was to connect the braided brake line from the left-hand master cylinder to the ABS module in place of the brake line from the rear brake master cylinder. And I moved the parking brake on the 7/8 "crossbar. (The GIVI Smart Bar can be a good example.) I used a master cylinder and a brake handle from the 2010 Honda Silver Wing, complete with a brake light switch.
I must say that such a modification of brakes is here, in the US, not in full compliance with the applicable regulations (in other words - illegal). It is permitted to install the left-hand rear brake as a supplemental to the existing one but not as a replacement.
As an additional solution check this link to the modification of the rear brake in the Honda Africa Twin.

YouTube

To make sure I'm reading you correctly, you disconnected the existing rear brake master cylinder completely and fully replaced with the brake handle and master cylinder from the 2010 Silver Wing, leaving the right brake foot lever non-functional?

I am just curious why you would go that route rather than the route the gentleman in the Africa Twin video you linked went? Do you personally just not have a use for the foot brake or was it concerns about getting the threading done properly? General "KISS" approach?

I'm seriously considering this but leaning toward the method shown in the Africa Twin video, so just looking for your thought process.

...I am just curious why you would go that route rather than the route the gentleman in the Africa Twin video you linked went? ...

At the time I was doing this modification of the brakes (exactly 7 years ago), this option seemed to me to be the most practical, logical and economical.
It didn't make much sense to me to have two rear brake controllers. It wasn't until a few years later that I learned that NHTSA regulation requires the foot rear brake as the main controller and allows an auxiliary controller.

Makes complete sense.

The only real utility I can see myself is in situation where I may want to drag a little rear brake while having a full grip on both sides. Not frequent or really mandatory. I also might just hit it out of instinct at first. Then, of course, complying with regulations and being able to let a mechanic ride without getting confused.

I really like this idea for both riding with highway pegs and low speed maneuvers where (maybe I'll get better with time) I have trouble with matching the precise speed control achieved by feathering a clutch.

Last edited:
Point taken re gear changing. I do like your fitting of the hydro rear brake lever. I’m going to assume your bike has ABS. Can you advise how you connected the new rear brake lines into the braking system. Did you merely connect the hose into the ABS unit where the foot brake cable had been connected, or did you do something else and did it maintain the ABS? Did you totally remove the foot brake lever, master cylinder and brake line.
As an aside I tried connecting the engineering company mentioned in the Africa Twin Youtube video, regarding the works they did to convert the original master cylinder, to allow a dual braking system. However, regrettably I got no reply.

Back