• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Installing a Madstad NC700 Windshield - Mike Mas

What angle do you use for your Madstad,and did you play around with angles? I have tried both the 18.5 and 22" national cycle screens (one was borrowed, fortunately didn't buy both), and neither worked for my 5'10", 33" inseam self. I had terrible top of the head buzzing and booming even with the 22" screen at the top setting (which also interfered with my line of sight, constantly going back and forth from top to through). I'm wondering if the screen angle is the culprit in my instance.
The feature that makes the Madstad work so well is the 3" or so gap at the bottom. The air flow splits at the bottom of the shield and the large gap allows sufficient flow to pass behind and up the backside of the shield and smoothly reattach to the flow moving up the front of the shield. This keeps the air coming off the top and sides of the shield to remain relatively smooth and free of turbulence and vortices that make noise and buffet helmets. Most windshields have a huge area of low pressure behind them and it's very chaotic as higher pressure air from the top and sides rush around and into the low pressure trying to equalize the air pressure behind the shield. What has worked best for me, besides the Madstad shields, is the run with lower height screens and lots of rake so the turbulent air stays below my chin and my helmet is in clean air flow.

The feature that makes the Madstad work so well is the 3" or so gap at the bottom. The air flow splits at the bottom of the shield and the large gap allows sufficient flow to pass behind and up the backside of the shield and smoothly reattach to the flow moving up the front of the shield. This keeps the air coming off the top and sides of the shield to remain relatively smooth and free of turbulence and vortices that make noise and buffet helmets. Most windshields have a huge area of low pressure behind them and it's very chaotic as higher pressure air from the top and sides rush around and into the low pressure trying to equalize the air pressure behind the shield. What has worked best for me, besides the Madstad shields, is the run with lower height screens and lots of rake so the turbulent air stays below my chin and my helmet is in clean air flow.

Thank you so much for your input! The science definitely makes sense. How far over your madstad do you see? I have been looking at the lower height screens with adjustable spoilers to accomplish the same effect you describe with clean air on my head.

I ordered the 20", and put the X-creen on top, super smooth. It adds one more laminar air foil on the very top. I am 6'

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you so much for your input! The science definitely makes sense. How far over your madstad do you see? I have been looking at the lower height screens with adjustable spoilers to accomplish the same effect you describe with clean air on my head.
The top of the Madstad is about 3" below line of sight. That's about between chin and lower lip. I measured once IIRC my sight line across the top edge is only about 24 feet in front of me seated on the bike. That is where my sight line across the top edge intersects with the ground. I cannot abide looking through or at the top edge of a windshield. I used to fiddle around with the Madstad's range of height and rake but now I pretty much leave it in one position.

It's amazing sometimes I'm riding along and see a large bug flying a collision course at face level with me. Just as I'm flinching from the impact a nanosecond away SWOOSH it disappears vertically above my helmet. My ST1300 is nowhere as effective at lifting air up and over. It's screen is adjustable but without the laminar flow in front of and behind the shield it's not as effective at lifting air and it's much noisier. I have to run the top edge right below eye level to keep bugs off my face shield. I can and often ride with the face shield open on the NC. There is a downside to the Madstad in that it can be too effective in moist humid hot weather and it won't move enough air to keep from fogging up the helmet face shield. I have to use a Pinlock shield riding the NC and I don't use the Pinlock riding the ST.

Last edited:
Hey guys, just thought i would post this image on how handy the Madstad wing brackets can be for mounting aux lights.

I put up an light article at:

http://nc700-forum.com/forum/nc700-mods/11940-making-your-nc700-more-visual-safe-mike-mas-2.html#post171517

Mike

l6.jpg

l1.jpg

Maybe you could wire in a resistor or something to cut out the LED light on that side when the turn signal is flashing.

I also have the MadStad Windshield, I really enjoy it. I previously had the CalSci Windshield. The adjustability of the MadStad is a really great feature, which allows each rider to customize the wind protection. Safe riding

I have the light grey 20" on my NC. I had some minor interference between my hand guards and the windscreen at full lock. I considered trimming the windscreen but ended up spacing the screen out a bit with the original fly-screen below the Madstad mounts similar to dduelin's setup. It worked great and it's even quieter now.

Cool idea with the lights, Do you use them at night or just for extra conspicuity during the day. If used at night do you notice them shaking at all, or are they pretty solid on the winglet brackets?

dduelin mentioned them turning off when signalling, it's easily done if you wire them to your side lights and put the switch on the negative wire.
[video=youtube_share;GVHDEcatkfM]https://youtu.be/GVHDEcatkfM[/video]

I have the light grey 20" on my NC. I had some minor interference between my hand guards and the windscreen at full lock. I considered trimming the windscreen but ended up spacing the screen out a bit with the original fly-screen below the Madstad mounts similar to dduelin's setup. It worked great and it's even quieter now.

Cool idea with the lights, Do you use them at night or just for extra conspicuity during the day. If used at night do you notice them shaking at all, or are they pretty solid on the winglet brackets?

dduelin mentioned them turning off when signalling, it's easily done if you wire them to your side lights and put the switch on the negative wire.
[video=youtube_share;GVHDEcatkfM]https://youtu.be/GVHDEcatkfM[/video]
I'm looking at getting the same size and color. I'm 5,10 and heard that's the size for me. How tall are you? And could you post some pics please

Nice review and I share the same experience. I'm 6'3" with a shorter torso than average, which is why I ordered the 20" instead of the recommended 22". I checked the looks and height difference & adjestment with a piece of cardboard taped to the bike. The main goal for me was to be able to maintain speeds over 65 mph comfortably, and to keep my vizor clean all day instead of cleaning it every half hour.
I ordered the 20" clear Madstad at a official distributor in the UK, paid 330 Euros, had it within a week and installed it in one hour on the bike. It's not the prettiest screen out there, but to me it looks just as adventurous as the bike itself. I'm very happy with it. Expensive but well worth the money.

Sent by Motorola Moto G 4G

Having just installed a Madstad on my 2017 ncxd i am beginning to wonder if I am expecting too much? Compared to my nt 700v with a stock shield and laminar lip the Nc700xd with Madstad is nowhere near as quiet or buffet free. I love the way the Nc700x handles but maybe because it lacks a fairing it has to be very noisy. The Madstad does put air above my helmet but lessens the wind noise little. With earplugs it's okay but then I can't hear approaching traffic. Any suggestions?

Having just installed a Madstad on my 2017 ncxd i am beginning to wonder if I am expecting too much? Compared to my nt 700v with a stock shield and laminar lip the Nc700xd with Madstad is nowhere near as quiet or buffet free. I love the way the Nc700x handles but maybe because it lacks a fairing it has to be very noisy. The Madstad does put air above my helmet but lessens the wind noise little. With earplugs it's okay but then I can't hear approaching traffic. Any suggestions?

Maybe the screen is too high. I find that Madstsd mounts the screens too high by default. Too much air comes around the bottom of the shield and hits you in the chest/neck. I have my screen mounted 2 inches lower then "stock" and I still run it at the lowest setting all the time. It's a 20 inch and the air still goes over my head.

Even so, it will never be anywhere as still as a full fairing bike.

Maybe the screen is too high. I find that Madstsd mounts the screens too high by default. Too much air comes around the bottom of the shield and hits you in the chest/neck. I have my screen mounted 2 inches lower then "stock" and I still run it at the lowest setting all the time. It's a 20 inch and the air still goes over my head.

Even so, it will never be anywhere as still as a full fairing bike.

I have the 20" set at its lowest setting. I am 5'9" Tried different angles and heights. I think maybe the 18" would be better. Got the 20 because I have long torso. Thanks for your suggestion.

Back